Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2021, 03:34 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Yes, they were smart. They picked a region on the S protein that does not aide in cell entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 03:53 PM

30,145 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Yeah they're exploding. Now we watch hospitalizations there, and deaths to see what it does in unvaccinated. And we watch the same in Europe or Israel to see what it does in the vaccinated.
I don't know if it matters but South Africa of course had few covid cases before this recent explosion. Israel is also very quiet. Whereas The US and Europe have high case numbers.

Does it make any difference if an area has lots of cases or few new when a new variant enters that area. Meaning do we know what the ideal conditions are for a new variant or does it matter at all? I would imagine now its delta raging in the US and Europe and Omicron will have to beat out Delta.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:16 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I re read the conversation. The person was writing tongue in cheek. I don't know if you have some disorder where you interpret things literally or just enjoy beating down strawmen.
I was also writing tongue in cheek so what are you going to do now that your mind has exploded.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:56 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't know if it matters but South Africa of course had few covid cases before this recent explosion. Israel is also very quiet. Whereas The US and Europe have high case numbers.

Does it make any difference if an area has lots of cases or few new when a new variant enters that area. Meaning do we know what the ideal conditions are for a new variant or does it matter at all? I would imagine now its delta raging in the US and Europe and Omicron will have to beat out Delta.

Of course, Israel has had three distinct waves of Covid, one after a high percentage of the population had the initial two shots:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/israel/

Now, they have a high percentage of boosters, which, at least for the time being, seems to have brought the pandemic under good control.

I don't pretend to understand South Africa. They have had three distinct spikes:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona.../south-africa/

Their highest ever number of new infections was July 3, 2021, with 26,600 or so cases. Almost 90,000 deaths to date, out of a population of 60 million.

What I do know is that their numbers are rising rapidly, due to the widespread Omicron. However, I am heartened by the fact that there is not, so far as I know, any deaths attributable to Omicron. From what I have seen, many of those that get this variant have mild symptoms and recover quickly.

I have noted, even at the beginning of this pandemic, that viruses mutate. They can mutate 'up' into a more deadly form, which happened during the Spanish Flu pandemic. Then, like is suspected in the Spanish flu, it mutated 'down': to become more transmissible, but less deadly.

Years ago I read an excellent book called "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston, about the Ebola virus.

The first part of the book was an examination into the nature of viruses and flues. It was noted that said organisms are like all living things: they live to reproduce.

As such, we have never had a virus or like disease that causes 100 percent mortality. Why? Well, if the virus kills every host, it cannot reproduce and survive. Even the Marburg virus, perhaps the most deadly virus known, kills, on average, 50 percent (more in isolated localities).

The Spanish flu mutated so that it could spread more, but became less deadly. After some more mutations, it became benign. Indeed, it still exists in some form today. It obeyed the law of nature: reproduce and survive.

So, I was not overly concerned over the breathtaking news that the Covid 19 virus had undergone a large number of mutations (30 to 50, depending on your source). It may well turn out that Omicron underwent such rapid mutation so that it could more easily spread, yet not kill (requiring hospitalization is unknown).

I have read that, over recorded history, the average time for a pandemic is 12 to 18 months. Note that such is the 'average'. Some last for a shorter period (Asian Flu, Hong Kong Flu and Swine Flu, to cite those during my lifetime). Note that polio was not officially considered a 'pandemic'. You had outbreaks during the decades, flow and ebb, until the vaccine was developed.

One big difference between our pandemic and the Spanish flu: in 1918, they had no treatment at all. No vaccine, no medications, no nothing. As such, some 50 million people died worldwide (and 750,000 in the United States, out of 100 million).

Here, we do have a treatment, a vaccine. A vaccine (or vaccines) with 7.8 billion doses given, with 3.3 billion being considered 'fully vaccinated'.

Yet, out of a population of close to 8 billion, that leaves a lot of people unprotected.

I said back in March 2020: the Covid coronavirus is the hunter, we are the prey. We are not the top of the food chain.

Odd, to me, that so many in "First World" countries, chose to remain the prey.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:25 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
People seem to recover quickly untreated.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:35 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:

The Omicron is so infectious it probably matters less than before with other variants. It is showing up in so many areas that most likely it has been around longer, and that is a clue it may be more benign.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The Omicron is so infectious it probably matters less than before with other variants. It is showing up in so many areas that most likely it has been around longer, and that is a clue it may be more benign.

I wonder how many people they had to go through to find the one person in California or Canada who has it? If its been here a while you would think they would find that say 25% of the new cases are Omicron. Not one out of thousands. To me that indicates it just got here. Or its having trouble with Delta. In SA covid was spreading very slowly. Omicron had little competition with other variants. And the vaccine rate was low.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:32 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people they had to go through to find the one person in California or Canada who has it? If its been here a while you would think they would find that say 25% of the new cases are Omicron. Not one out of thousands. To me that indicates it just got here. Or its having trouble with Delta. In SA covid was spreading very slowly. Omicron had little competition with other variants. And the vaccine rate was low.
Past history/experience tells us where there is one or a few, there are already many. That is how I got infected early on. If Omicron proves generally benign, and since the early symptoms are atypical, there may already have been many undiagnosed/unsuspected cases in many if not all these areas.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Past history/experience tells us where there is one or a few, there are already many. That is how I got infected early on. If Omicron proves generally benign, and since the early symptoms are atypical, there may already have been many undiagnosed/unsuspected cases in many if not all these areas.

Could be. But in SA a good percentage of the cases are Omicron. But in the US we found one in one state, three in another etc. That would mean its a fraction of a percent. Unless they have not tested that many. If its so very highly contagious it should have exploded right away I would think. Or it just got here.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:12 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
I read CDC was sequencing 1 out of 7 samples nationwide for it. That works out to about 80,000 tests per week or over 10,000 per day. That is one hell of a lot of sample to only find a dozen or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies