Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2021, 12:30 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I'm only paying attention to data coming out of South Africa for now. Unless it's been filtered through the CDC, NIH or any US agencies.

Zimbabwe has had a sharp spike in cases the past few days:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ntry/zimbabwe/

They were only having about 30 new cases a day. Past 3 days. 700+, 1000+, 1000+.

As is Eswatini / Swaziland:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...try/swaziland/

They had about 5 cases a day and now its 150 a day with yesterday at 241. Very small country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 02:45 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
It wouldn't surprise me after this event. The Governor already declared a state of emergency. Probably won't matter that there seems to be universal reporting of "mild" symptoms with this variant.
It should be noted that the early Omicron wave was primarily among young people, so it being mild isn't necessarily indicating that it is more mild than Delta.

Note that pandemics spread exponentially. Waiting for wide spread before locking down is like waiting to put your foot on the break until your car's bumper touches the car in front of you. If it's obvious you need more mitigation efforts, you already waited too long.

Old 12-05-2021, 03:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It should be noted that the early Omicron wave was primarily among young people, so it being mild isn't necessarily indicating that it is more mild than Delta.

Note that pandemics spread exponentially. Waiting for wide spread before locking down is like waiting to put your foot on the break until your car's bumper touches the car in front of you. If it's obvious you need more mitigation efforts, you already waited too long.
The majority of the working population is young and not high risk. These are the people that would be involuntarily locked down just for mild symptoms. That's the problem I see. I get what you are saying, but we have reached a point where the high risk individuals are going to have to take their own mitigation measures to protect themselves. Otherwise, every new variant presents a new lockdown scenario for all.

Old 12-05-2021, 03:33 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
Quote:
The majority of the working population is young and not high risk. These are the people that would be involuntarily locked down just for mild symptoms. That's the problem I see. I get what you are saying, but we have reached a point where the high risk individuals are going to have to take their own mitigation measures to protect themselves. Otherwise, every new variant presents a new lockdown scenario for all.
That's the nature of public health, you'll need to lock down or you'll need to accept massive extra death counts.

Old 12-05-2021, 03:55 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
The US is much older though than RSA 38 vs 27 and the US is a very unhealthy country as well with 80% overweight or obese and cardiovascular problems common in most people near the average age. Covid, generally, has been a disease of the effete wealthy nations.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:00 PM

17,402 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
That's the nature of public health, you'll need to lock down or you'll need to accept massive extra death counts.

If you are at a higher risk for hospitalization and/or death YOU lock down and live carefully ... or don't. That's up to you.

You don't lock down and entire society over a virus that has a 99.37% survival rate. And remove people who are 60+ from that and it rises to a 99.99% survival rate.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:02 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

If you are at a higher risk for hospitalization and/or death YOU lock down and live carefully ... or don't. That's up to you.

You don't lock down and entire society over a virus that has a 99.37% survival rate. And remove people who are 60+ from that and it rises to a 99.99% survival rate.
And remove fat people or those with pre-existing conditions and your survival rate goes up to like, 99.999%.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:05 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

Our ICUs are packed to the walls with covid patients now and most of them are 60 or under. They linger for weeks before finally dying cost the system billions and taking up beds needed for other, treatable health conditions. We need to do what is necessary to reduce the number of covid sufferers who end up in the hospital and ICU. At the moment, that is remarkably easy to do - vaccination.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:07 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Our ICUs are packed to the walls with covid patients now and most of them are 60 or under. They linger for weeks before finally dying cost the system billions and taking up beds needed for other, treatable health conditions. We need to do what is necessary to reduce the number of covid sufferers who end up in the hospital and ICU. At the moment, that is remarkably easy to do - vaccination.
So.....we have to be inconvenienced because our bloated overpaid bureaucracy spent astronomical amounts of money NOT fixing the problem?

Hard Pass. ICU capacity is on your overpaid public health bureaucrats to solve. Hey, maybe your lord and savior Fauci and Walensky can put on a coat and start treating some patients. Do something useful for once. Dr. Science should have no problem picking up intensive medical care on demand.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:13 PM

17,402 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Give me some links where covid patients are taking up all the ICU beds in most of the country. I don't want opinion pieces either ... I'd like state by state breakdowns where hospitals are overrun with covid patients. I want to see numbers greater than 75% occupancy across the board.

And THEN I want to see proof that they are admitted because of covid - and not that they tested positive when they were admitted for something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies