Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2021, 09:07 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times

Advertisements

I still don’t get it. All reports coming out of SA is this is the most MILD variant of them. Which is generally what happens with viruses. They become far more Transmissable but far less deadly. So why the hubbub with shutting the world down again? There’s something far more sinister at play here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 09:10 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
He's supposed to be a medical expert and trustworthy
He's admitted to lying about covid multiple times
The problem in doing this is over time the more you lie to people when giving something as important as medical advice the less people listen.The ends do not justify the means in the long run because all credibility is gone.
The ends may have justiied the means on his initial lie about masks if we were able to knock this out in a month or two

In March 2020 if Fauci told me something I believed him
He could tell me something today that's completely accurate and I still won't believe him bc he simply isn't trustworthy
My only reason for posting is because a couple of people took him out of context. And now, people are manipulating his words and intentions further yet. As I said, he is a "politician". He is a data point. I don't believe everything he says.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:12 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That's nice.

I don't remember Rush saying that because I never really listened to him.

I don't begrudge anyone of any political persuasion their rightly earned success - but when you have a class of people who have enriched themselves based on a global pandemic, that's when I have a problem.
I believe all his old shows are online. I used to always listen. Class envy and envy of billionaires has been the calling card of the left for decades. Go back and listen. Get grounded in conservatism. Smart people take full advantage of situations. Not so smart people get jealous of them.

Rush:

Brilliant Monologue on Class Envy Oct 30, 2007

I want to say something about class envy here, too. You know, the Democrats have had this class-envy card that they’ve played all the time — the rich — and they still do. Tax cuts for the rich. Go after Big Oil. Go after Big Pharmaceutical. Go after Big Retail, Big Fast Food, whoever.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:16 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I still don’t get it. All reports coming out of SA is this is the most MILD variant of them. Which is generally what happens with viruses. They become far more Transmissable but far less deadly. So why the hubbub with shutting the world down again? There’s something far more sinister at play here
I think because so much is unknown about the variant but initial signs showed enough cause for concern that made folks freak out. To be clear, this virus has mutated a lot already and not all variants were cause for concern. For this variant in particular, the SA scientists have stated that most of the symptoms have been mild, but they stressed that we are still in the early days of understanding this variant.

I say it's a good thing that this variant was first detected in Africa as opposed to Asia or Europe. Due to the significantly less travel to and from that continent, I wager that is a better chance to conduct contact tracing. For similar reasons (e.g. fewer people traveling to Africa), I wager that this is a big reason why Covid has not been too much of an issue on the continent.

My take? This variant still spreads as--even if you haven't traveled to target countries yourself--you may very well come into contact with others who traveled there or who came into tertiary contact with others who fit that bill. We'll see if the reactions will be justified.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:18 AM

17,422 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I believe all his old shows are online. I used to always listen. Class envy and envy of billionaires has been the calling card of the left for decades. Go back and listen. Get grounded in conservatism. Smart people take full advantage of situations. Not so smart people get jealous of them.

Rush:

Brilliant Monologue on Class Envy Oct 30, 2007

I want to say something about class envy here, too. You know, the Democrats have had this class-envy card that they’ve played all the time — the rich — and they still do. Tax cuts for the rich. Go after Big Oil. Go after Big Pharmaceutical. Go after Big Retail, Big Fast Food, whoever.
lmao ... I don't care to listen to Rush.

Also, you come across as someone who thinks people should check off every box in a set of political beliefs. People are much more nuanced than that and everything is more gray than black and white - but smart people know that.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:18 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I remember when Rush Limbaugh used to talk about the class envy of the left. Now we have it on the right.

What a massive flip flop. Especially when their most favorite politician is a billionaire. You can't make this up.
Trump is far from a billionaire
He plays one on tv though

Old 11-29-2021, 09:19 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Well, yea! Seasonal variation has a lot to do with transmission rates. I'm saying, of course, the vaccination rate had a lot to do with it too. Heck, when there is a spike in transmissions in my specific area, restaurants go quiet, people are slapping on their masks, etc. As I said, it's multivariable. And it is extremely difficult to extract the weighted average. Can I bet my life that the major benefactor was the vaccine? No. And does natural immunity also help reduce hospitalizations etc? Yea! How much? We have no idea. Other than as sure as we are sitting here, both natural immunity and the vaccine helped. And when another variant lands up in your backyard, to some level, there is a reset.

Hence, your punching bag Fauci "wasn't lying"..... This time. It's why I corrected people's lapse in memory. Because they thought big-bad-Fauci was somehow caught in a big fat lie. No, he wasn't.
I'm saying no, vaccinations had nothing to do with it. First from Jan 11 to February 20th is still the winter, so not due to seasonal variation. Just cases plateaued out. Vaccination rates, even if these vaccinations were effective, cannot explain it since 7% is a drop in the bucket.

But these vaccinations are not effective in blocking transmission, as we can see from other times.

I don't get where your faith comes from to say the vaccinations have an impact.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:20 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
While I understand the anxiety surrounding the vaccination, let me just give a shout out to my immune system. Everyone is acting like you don't exist, but I still believe in you.
That is the biggest single thing you can do, get your immune system as sound as possible. My Dr. got covid during the initial outbreak in Kirkland, WA at the beginning of covid and told me that the absolutely best thing you can do is work on making your immune system as strong as possible, that is still great advice.

The people drunk on vaxx koolaid think the vax is the end all be all and they are dead wrong.... just ask Colin Powell.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
lmao ... I don't care to listen to Rush.

Also, you come across as someone who thinks people should check off every box in a set of political beliefs. People are much more nuanced than that and everything is more gray than black and white - but smart people know that.
Well said
I wish more people didnt let themselves get painted into a box

Also lol@ this exchange

Him:"rush used to say...."
You:"I didjt listen to him"
Him:"well I listened to him a lot and he said ...."

And he thinks that's his big gotcha moment

Old 11-29-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My only reason for posting is because a couple of people took him out of context. And now, people are manipulating his words and intentions further yet. As I said, he is a "politician". He is a data point. I don't believe everything he says.
He's completely flip flopped and admitted to lying on multiple occasions
That's not being taken out of context

I agree he's a politician
And therefore has no credibility and that I was an idiot for ever taking him seriously

Overall if his goal is protecting the health of the public his approach is completely detrimental
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies