Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2021, 03:43 PM

18,874 posts, read 8,529,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"Mega-Mutated "Omicron" Variant (B.1.1.529) Explodes in Africa - Borders Shut - Scientists Scramble"

Such a fear mongering thread title.
Doctor that discovered it said the world is much over reacting to the discovery I heard her say.
It will take a few weeks for the medical world to learn about the potentials with more certainty. How quickly it spreads, who is at risk, and how do the current vaccines fare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 04:04 PM

30,271 posts, read 11,905,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
They are using all of these terms like explosive, mutations, and high-risk to build up fear.

What you don't hear - deaths and hospitalizations.

They are trying to get ratings, viewers, etc. Deaths are up in South Africa. But cases have only been up for 2 weeks so its early there.

The problem is not where it is now. But this sort of variant could be a very big problem.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:06 PM

20,220 posts, read 20,990,692 times
*yawn*
Variant schmariant.
This crap is really getting played out.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:09 PM

30,271 posts, read 11,905,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"Mega-Mutated "Omicron" Variant (B.1.1.529) Explodes in Africa - Borders Shut - Scientists Scramble"

Such a fear mongering thread title.
Doctor that discovered it said the world is much over reacting to the discovery I heard her say.
Lets see

Mega-Mutated - YES (double the previous mutations in a variant)
Explodes in Africa - YES (cases and deaths quadruple in a week in South Africa)
Borders Shut - YES - (Israel halting all foreign inbound travel, many other countries shout out african countries)
Scientists Scramble - (YES - Experts around the world are trying to determine how big a risk it is)

If it scares you. Well that is you.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:25 PM

7,176 posts, read 4,765,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I was not copying the entire story. The link is there. Experts are concerned about this variant because of the mutations. Whatever geopolitical stuff is going on in South Africa has nothing to do with it. Delta did not come from there but Beta I did I believe and became a huge problem. Cases are spiking like Beta did.
I thought it was curious about the oooooohhh scary parts you did copy, and ignored the less disturbing info. Your copied portions tether to your thread title quite well though.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:28 PM

17,622 posts, read 14,767,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It doesn't seem logical, almost like it's a made-up number. China has had ~4600 deaths in 98k cases, for a CFR of 4-5%. I don't know where you got 0.016 but it's way off.
No it's not.

China says the bulk of those covid cases and deaths took place before May of 2020.

Since then there have been a little less than 15K cases and about 8,800 asymptomatic cases but only 4 deaths. Or so they say.

I sure wish they'd share their cure with the rest of us ... after all, they shared the virus.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:38 PM

27,220 posts, read 15,396,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lets see

Mega-Mutated - YES (double the previous mutations in a variant)
Explodes in Africa - YES (cases and deaths quadruple in a week in South Africa)
Borders Shut - YES - (Israel halting all foreign inbound travel, many other countries shout out african countries)
Scientists Scramble - (YES - Experts around the world are trying to determine how big a risk it is)

If it scares you. Well that is you.
I am not scared of any of it, any variant.
Respect for it yes, scared no.

Borders shutting down mean nothing nowadays.
The Doctor that discovered it says the symptoms are muscle aches, headache, and fatigue without respiratory problems.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:53 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,614,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
No it's not.

China says the bulk of those covid cases and deaths took place before May of 2020.

Since then there have been a little less than 15K cases and about 8,800 asymptomatic cases but only 4 deaths. Or so they say.

I sure wish they'd share their cure with the rest of us ... after all, they shared the virus.
China has been very public about the cure. The cure is to stop breathing in each other's faces until the virus is gone.

The bulk of cases were before May 2020 because that's how long it took China to finish their lockdown. Outside of temporary responses to local outbreaks, China has been open and largely COVID-free since then.

Old 11-29-2021, 05:01 PM

17,771 posts, read 7,008,149 times
Quote:
China has been very public about the cure. The cure is to stop breathing in each other's faces until the virus is gone.

The bulk of cases were before May 2020 because that's how long it took China to finish their lockdown. Outside of temporary responses to local outbreaks, China has been open and largely COVID-free since then.
So the cure is to stop breathing until all virus is gone? I think that's great advice and all the liberals and Democrats should follow it.

P.S. You get bonus points for repeating Chinese propaganda. Well done!

Old 11-29-2021, 05:04 PM

7,176 posts, read 4,765,248 times
Quote:

Really? Then why in 2021 did they build massive Covid quarantine camps. Got news for ya. China lies.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/20/asia/...cli/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies