Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 07:40 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,111,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Looking at life outside the myopic world of right wing media can be pretty funny...
Yeah, you libs are a real belly laugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 07:48 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,916,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Deprogramming. Uh-huh. And at some point a nice warm "shower" I'm sure.

Can any of the nutjob libs here please tell me what is so wrong with and ultimately criminal about espousing the idea of wanting to have less government intrusion into the lives of citizens, less government confiscation of labor hours of citizens, and not spending money you don't have? What is so horrible about feeling that way? Why is it worthy of "deprogramming"?

Personally, I keep my political philosophy very simple: I believe in individual liberty bound by the non-aggression principle. I also believe opinions are to be considered and scrutinized but not squelched. If you want to call that libertarian, fine. If you want to call it conservative, fine. I just call it believing in the individual. But I do agree with many conservative principles. Why is that a crime? Why should that necessitate "deprogramming" or a death camp?

I've been pointing out that is where things are going since covid sent a portion of the population nuts.

More generally, if things don't profoundly change, the camps will be coming. Seems the conservatives don't believe it and the liberals either don't believe it or don't mind it. Most typical Germans didn't believe it in the 1930s either. It's called normalcy bias and burying your head in the sand.
The saying “ those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it” hopefully majority learned what happened in nazi Germany.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:17 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what was incorrect in the breitbart article?

be specific.
The manner in which they present it by putting lines together to make it more inflamatory.
"The Atlantic published an essay on the eve of Thanksgiving, calling on readers to utilize family Thanksgiving get-togethers to “deprogram” and sow doubt in conservative relatives, suggesting that one may even succeed in changing their mind or perhaps “need to report [them] to the FBI!”

It amazes me the way the right takes one persons OP/Letter to the editor and how did the OP state it
"liberals and their corrupt media". Ever since the last administration any publication that would not praise fearless leader is now corrupt

Read the actual letter I posted the link, here's the last paragraph, its tongue and cheek not a call to round them up.

"Maybe you’ll even change a heart or a mind. Maybe you’ll bring the temperature down just a tiny bit. Or maybe you’ll need to report a relative to the FBI! Either way, it’s something to do besides just eat.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:20 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
The manner in which they present it by putting lines together to make it more inflamatory.
"The Atlantic published an essay on the eve of Thanksgiving, calling on readers to utilize family Thanksgiving get-togethers to “deprogram” and sow doubt in conservative relatives, suggesting that one may even succeed in changing their mind or perhaps “need to report [them] to the FBI!”

It amazes me the way the right takes one persons OP/Letter to the editor and how did the OP state it
"liberals and their corrupt media". Ever since the last administration any publication that would not praise fearless leader is now corrupt

Read the actual letter I posted the link, here's the last paragraph, its tongue and cheek not a call to round them up.

"Maybe you’ll even change a heart or a mind. Maybe you’ll bring the temperature down just a tiny bit. Or maybe you’ll need to report a relative to the FBI! Either way, it’s something to do besides just eat.
lmao ... the only thing that makes her essay more inflammatory - is her actual essay.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:31 AM

6,773 posts, read 9,327,743 times
Although this article really does seem somewhat “tongue in cheek” and probably was meant to be funny (even though it’s stupid), I love all of these “how to talk to your friends and relatives during the holidays” guidance that always surfaces during this time of year. And, of course, usually it’s from the perspective of a liberal who has these family members with awful and unacceptable conservative viewpoints.

And to think that yesterday I invited two liberal Democrats over to my house for Thanksgiving, even though I disagree with them when it comes to politics and vision for this country. Guess what: in the ~6 hours they spent at my house, we talked about things like technology, our jobs, pets, Black Friday shopping deals, camping, home projects, and a number of other things, and somehow managed to get along and have a very nice time!

Old 11-26-2021, 08:39 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post

And to think that yesterday I invited two liberal Democrats over to my house for Thanksgiving, even though I disagree with them when it comes to politics and vision for this country. Guess what: in the ~6 hours they spent at my house, we talked about things like technology, our jobs, pets, Black Friday shopping deals, camping, home projects, and a number of other things, and somehow managed to get along and have a very nice time!
I miss not knowing where everyone stood on every single political issue.

It sounds so quaint now.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:43 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
The basic difference between conservatives is thatm with the exception of a few "over the edge" evangelicals, most conservatives just want to live out their live in peace and quiet, while "progressives" remain so convinced of the absolute rectitude of their values that they have to force them on everybody else, and to do this, they must have access to the monopoly on the use of force embodied in the nation/state.

Now tell me which one has the greater potential for abuse.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:46 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Guess what: in the ~6 hours they spent at my house, we talked about things like technology, our jobs, pets, Black Friday shopping deals, camping, home projects, and a number of other things, and somehow managed to get along and have a very nice time!
There wasn't a call slipped in there to have you burned at the stake during those six hours? You know, just thrown in there between the turkey conversation and the weather?

(note: humor)

Old 11-26-2021, 08:59 AM

6,773 posts, read 9,327,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There wasn't a call slipped in there to have you burned at the stake during those six hours? You know, just thrown in there between the turkey conversation and the weather?

(note: humor)
LOL! I (literally) laughed when I read this.

Nope, just good old-fashioned face to face conversation about a lot of topics, none of which veered toward politics in any way. I think the closest we got to it was “supply chain issues” but it was only in the context of furniture shopping, and how some places like Room and Board are taking orders now, for delivery in JUNE 2022 depending on some items, but no talk beyond the fact that depending on the item, quoted delivery dates are over 6 months from now.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:07 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:

interestingly, you were unable to cite a single inaccuracy.
how odd..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies