Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 02:44 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
For weeks we have been hearing how there would be no turkeys, no cranberries - one thing or another for Thanksgiving.
I never heard any such thing. do you have some sources pondy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 12:56 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Try being in North Carolina. Apparently, while other states have 2 or more pipelines, that was the only pipeline in NC. Approximately 75% of gas stations in the entire state had no gas, for almost 2 weeks.

I drive for a living. I was unable to get gas for days because of the people here who appear to enjoy living life in panic mode and hoarded it all. Lines were ridiculous - hour or more long. Arguments, fights, horn blaring, just a whole lot of fun.

Put me behind 2 weeks of work which is a royal B to get back to where I was - meaning, recoup that 2 weeks lost PLUS make what I normally make.

I hate these people, still, to this day, because of it.
I do live in NC. In a small coastal town. It's even harder to get fuel and food consistently shipped/delivered to the gas stations and grocery stores here.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:14 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
For weeks we have been hearing how there would be no turkeys, no cranberries - one thing or another for Thanksgiving. Yet, even yesterday, the coolers were stuffed with turkeys at the same price as last year. We found everything we wanted for Thanksgiving and while prices may have been up, a little shopping sales made it more or less the same cost.

Now it's Christmas trees, ornaments that are supposedly in shortage. Yet the lots are open and full of trees, Lowes and HD have dozens of artificial trees on sale, and ornaments and lights are just as available as they were last year.

So is this shortage thing mostly hype from the media? Is it retailers trying to get us to do impulse purchases on the I gotta get one principal?

I say 80% media frenzy and 20% actual supply problems.
I am beginning to think that is more media hype -- er, lying. Fear, fear, and more fear -- all for what purpose??

However, I think the pertinent question is actually, "Who is giving this info TO the media???" Even The Wall Street Journal reported that there would be some shortages, and they are not exactly known for exaggeration.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:32 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
For weeks we have been hearing how there would be no turkeys, no cranberries - one thing or another for Thanksgiving. Yet, even yesterday, the coolers were stuffed with turkeys at the same price as last year. We found everything we wanted for Thanksgiving and while prices may have been up, a little shopping sales made it more or less the same cost.

Now it's Christmas trees, ornaments that are supposedly in shortage. Yet the lots are open and full of trees, Lowes and HD have dozens of artificial trees on sale, and ornaments and lights are just as available as they were last year.

So is this shortage thing mostly hype from the media? Is it retailers trying to get us to do impulse purchases on the I gotta get one principal?

I say 80% media frenzy and 20% actual supply problems.
Theres certainly shortages and have been for awhile.

Why would the media try to make Sleepy Joe look bad? They backed up what Sleepy Joe told us that he was going to save us, unite us, end Covid, and fix everything they said because Trump caused.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:38 PM

6,646 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
The sooner you learn of media hype and sensationalism, the sooner you'll be real woke
I mean,..this is all there really is to say.

When you can accurately say CNN will say bad things about the Right and good things about the Left and Fox will say bad things about the Left and good things about the Right with 100% accuracy then it's safe to say the media is Biased.
They're proud of it. wear it on their sleeve.

They use their political leanings as a marketing tool instead of the truth.

It's really on the viewer to tease out relevant info and dodge the hyperbolic adjectives.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:40 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I mean,..this is all there really is to say.

When you can accurately say CNN will say bad things about the Right and good things about the Left and Fox will say bad things about the Left and good things about the Right with 100% accuracy then it's safe to say the media is Biased.
They're proud of it. wear it on their sleeve.

They use their political leanings as a marketing tool instead of the truth.

It's really on the viewer to tease out relevant info and dodge the hyperbolic adjectives.
Unfortunately, many folks can’t think for themselves and believe everything the media tells them…and they don’t have the restraint to simply stop watching the news. The bigger the ratings the more nonsense they’re going to spew.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:49 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Quote:

Sales made up for it? That makes no sense. They didn't have sales last year when prices were lower? They have those sales every year. As far as trees go my friend works at a nursery and says that indeed there has been and will be a shortage of trees the next few years. That doesn't mean it is Biden or whatever it is what it is. However when you deny something that trivial to advance a narrative it is sort of sad.

Lowes and HD have trees in stock the day after Thanksgiving... a tad anecdotal don't you think?

This is a thread started by somebody just to hear their own voice. I don't see any point it serves otherwise. Okay I will go ahead and agree with everything you said... now what? Should I write my congressman and report it? Do you feel better that somebody is smart enough and like minded enough to know the media sensationalizes things?

There are too many dumb threads of this nature lately. Do we have to argue about how much toilet paper is at Costco again?

Old 11-27-2021, 01:56 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well the media has been screaming about the sky falling since...

...they started pounding out newspapers on clay tablets...

(waaaaay before 2016)

Old 11-27-2021, 02:10 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
The media has to get people all wound up and freaked out so they run out and stock up on chit they probably don't need, to make their advertisers money. Ever notice, like on local news they'll have a story about a burglary or something, and during the very next commercial break you'll see at least one commercial for a home security system?

Old 11-27-2021, 09:09 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,040,845 times
I think it's all hype to justify price increases. Although, I haven't seen the price increases where I shop. I heard there were shortages of turkeys and cranberries. I didn't see that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies