Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 04:40 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Jefferson Davis was a Democrat. The Republicans should order the removal of anything to do with the slavery-loving Democratic Party.
Yep, take all the memorials of all Democrats down. I applaud Montgomery for removing Jeff Davis, that guy was not a hero because he tried to save the right to own slaves, despicable.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:48 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Most democrats want to see confederate statues and monuments removed from public land. Most republicans don’t want that to happen.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:06 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 6 hours ago)

5,791 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
https://kfdm.com/news/local/state-sa...me-from-avenue

I thought that the Republican Party was all about local control?
"Local control" is just a red herring. If it were about local control, then they'd let the City of Montgomery do it's thing on changing the name of the street. Same essential thing happened in Texas, though on a very different issue - Fracking. The Texas State Legislature passed a law overturning the City of Denton's fracking ban several years back.

No, "state's rights" is just a way for the right-wing to control everything about people's lives. The type of "freedom" they want is one where the strong, powerful, privlieged, and dominant call all the shots.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:19 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Amidst all of the silly renaming's and statue removals, this is a GOOD and appropriate renaming. The traitor Jefferson Davis shouldn't be honored anywhere.

From the article

" Alabama’s capital city last month removed the Confederate president’s name from an avenue and renamed it after a lawyer known for his work during the civil rights movement.

Now the state attorney general says the city must pay a fine or face a lawsuit for violating a state law protecting Confederate monuments and other longstanding memorials.

Montgomery last month changed the name of Jeff Davis Avenue to Fred D. Gray Avenue. Gray, who grew up on that same street, represented Rosa Parklaws and others in cases that fought Deep South segregation practices and was dubbed by Martin Luther King Jr. as “the chief counsel for the protest movement.” "

https://kfdm.com/news/local/state-sa...me-from-avenue
I expect the only outcome will the the law will be struck from the books.

Changing street names is solidly with a city's purview. The states don't have any authority over that at all. Cities change the names of their streets all the time everywhere.

I'm pretty sure the City Council in Montgomery already know this and are planning to appeal the order.

The Confederacy is as dead as a smelt, but the stink of it still lingers on in these old laws.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:16 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
"Local control" is just a red herring. If it were about local control, then they'd let the City of Montgomery do it's thing on changing the name of the street. Same essential thing happened in Texas, though on a very different issue - Fracking. The Texas State Legislature passed a law overturning the City of Denton's fracking ban several years back.

No, "state's rights" is just a way for the right-wing to control everything about people's lives. The type of "freedom" they want is one where the strong, powerful, privlieged, and dominant call all the shots.
"States rights" is the same red herring used when some individuals want to fly the Confederate flag. The Confederates only cared about one state right, the one that involves being able to keep slavery. "States rights" was screamed by people who opposed civil rights.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:48 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In light of what both of you have said, there is something I must mention. The Confederate issue, along with who votes for whom, has alot of racial elements in it. The South, to me, comes off as a region that is quite polarized. The vast majority of Blacks vote Democrat, regardless of age, gender, rural, urban, education, income, etc. The majority of Whites (particularly outside of the major cities) vote Republican. In the South, when it comes to removing Confederate statues, that tends to go along racial lines. The majority of Blacks are in favor of removing Confederate statues. The majority of Whites are not in favor of that.

This is something I've observed having grown up in the South. When I was in high school, 99.99% of kids who wore Dixie Outfitter shirts (or any shirt with the Confederate flag on it) were White. There were maybe one or two Black kids that did. One girl did it one time, and never again did she do that. The only other Black kid who wore Confederate flag apparel basically kept his distance from other Black kids. Besides that, there were hardly any Black kids that were into that. I've seen plenty of Black people drive pickup trucks. I never saw a Black person flying a Confederate flag from a pickup truck, or any vehicle.

This whole Confederate issue, it isn't just a party matter. It's a racial matter as well. The party matter goes along with it.
I agree.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:57 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
"States rights" is the same red herring used when some individuals want to fly the Confederate flag. The Confederates only cared about one state right, the one that involves being able to keep slavery. "States rights" was screamed by people who opposed civil rights.
Those who try to claim that the southern states seceded over “states rights” haven’t read the Articles of Secession. The documents themselves show that the they seceded to preserve the institution of slavery.

Old 11-27-2021, 04:12 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lets face it, Republicans have a much higher degree of respect for history, facts, rationality and science than do Democrats. Today's flag waving Democrats are waving the flag of Communism.
Those two sentences are just perfect next to each other.

Old 11-27-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I agree.
There is something else I didn't think to add, but should be mentioned. A majority of Blacks in the USA are southerners. Up until 1910, 9 out of 10 Blacks lived in the South. Even now, a majority of Blacks live in the South. I haven't seen any "Confederate pride" among Black Americans. I live in the South and have seen things up close and personal. I have lived in other U.S. regions, but I've grown up in the South. If the Confederate flag was a "southern thing" and about "southern pride", we would see far more Black Americans flashing the Confederate banner. I've seen maybe one or two Blacks in my entire life wear anything with the Confederate banner on it. One person, ironically, was from New York and never wore anything like that again.

I notice every time I bring that up, very few people pay it much attention.

Old 11-27-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Those who try to claim that the southern states seceded over “states rights” haven’t read the Articles of Secession. The documents themselves show that the they seceded to preserve the institution of slavery.
I've certainly read the Articles of Secession. I've also read the Confederate Constitution. I've also read the Cornerstone Speech (by Alexander H. Stephens himself). I'm certainly many individuals have not read those pieces of original documents. Whenever I've posted excerpts from those documents, few people will pay it any mind. It's almost like said persons don't want to know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies