Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 10:41 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most, if not all, states have merit based scholarships.
We have the HOPE here in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 10:45 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Lab fees and books.

My sons books were nearly $1,000 for used books for one semester.
Educational publishers are a racket. They don't have anything to do with college costs, though.

They have their own profit scheming model.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:02 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxGuy1 View Post
Admin Fees
WSJ Fees (this was true in my time since I was enrolled in the Business College)
Parking Fees
Processing Fees
Housing Fees
Housing Processing Fees
Counseling Fees
Forced On-Campus Housing as requirement of getting degree (was common at UNF)
Food Fees
And so much more

This on top of other things make things cost a lot more that get people into debt.
Most students who qualify for a Bright Futures scholarship will also qualify for a merit based institutional scholarship that can be applied towards housing, food, mandatory fees. Parking fees are not covered and you might not have every conceivable expense covered while living on campus but it's a fantastic deal none the less..

Old 11-30-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
It would be a better deal if the federal government gets out of the student loan business and we don't do merit scholarships. Schools bank on the bright futures scholarships so they can find ways to increase the cost in general since scholarships are "free money."

This is one reason why I want FL to stop doing the lottery.
Bright Futures is about as fair a program as you can get. I have absolutely ZERO issue that the state spends lottery ticket proceeds in such a positive, productive way. It's a great help to academically and vocationally talented students and it keeps talent in Florida. It's a win win all around.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
It would be a better deal if the federal government gets out of the student loan business and we don't do merit scholarships. Schools bank on the bright futures scholarships so they can find ways to increase the cost in general since scholarships are "free money."

This is one reason why I want FL to stop doing the lottery.
You need incoming students to object to the fees.

And not use any of the services/buildings attached to the fees.

That's when real change can happen.

As long as loans are available, it doesn't matter. Colleges will have fees for everything, all rolled up. But if that awesome new rec building has ZERO PEOPLE using it? They can't justify it. Fees go bye bye.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:00 PM

913 posts, read 886,119 times
So what they are calling "free College" in Florida is actually a merit based scholarship, which all states offer. Sad they feel the need for wordplay to make it seem like something else, but I think merit based scholarships are great.
For the poster who is under the impression that Fl. is a novelty in using some lottery proceeds for education, I did what you asked and checked my state. (NY)
Traditional Lottery Sales Allocation

Of $6.7 billion in Sales:

59 percent payable in Prizes

32 percent payable in Aid to Education

6 percent payable in Retailer Commissions

3 percent payable for Administrative Expenses

Click HERE for more information about the New York State Lottery.

And this is Floridas

Currently, 65 percent of proceeds go to prizes. Then 26.9 percent are added to the state’s Educational Enhancement Trust Fund (taxes from slot machine revenue also are added to this fund). That leaves 5.6 percent for retailer commissions, 1.1 percent for administrative costs and 1.4 percent for ticket vendor fees.

So as you can see, nothing really spectacular about what Florida is doing for education with lottery proceeds.

The top students will likely be offered full scholarships at many universities all over the country, so a tuition only scholarship for them is not as enticing as one may think.

I think this is a case of a State boasting about something that is as ordinary as puddles after the rain, but glad they offer their residents something rather than nothing.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
So what they are calling "free College" in Florida is actually a merit based scholarship, which all states offer. Sad they feel the need for wordplay to make it seem like something else, but I think merit based scholarships are great.
For the poster who is under the impression that Fl. is a novelty in using some lottery proceeds for education, I did what you asked and checked my state. (NY)
Traditional Lottery Sales Allocation

Of $6.7 billion in Sales:

59 percent payable in Prizes

32 percent payable in Aid to Education

6 percent payable in Retailer Commissions

3 percent payable for Administrative Expenses

Click HERE for more information about the New York State Lottery.

And this is Floridas

Currently, 65 percent of proceeds go to prizes. Then 26.9 percent are added to the state’s Educational Enhancement Trust Fund (taxes from slot machine revenue also are added to this fund). That leaves 5.6 percent for retailer commissions, 1.1 percent for administrative costs and 1.4 percent for ticket vendor fees.

So as you can see, nothing really spectacular about what Florida is doing for education with lottery proceeds.

The top students will likely be offered full scholarships at many universities all over the country, so a tuition only scholarship for them is not as enticing as one may think.

I think this is a case of a State boasting about something that is as ordinary as puddles after the rain, but glad they offer their residents something rather than nothing.
NY education money goes back to the K-12 school system.

It does not apply to college students.

Considering how high NY property tax is plus this lottery benefit, all NYS school kids should graduate at the genius level.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Not really, since honestly the Bright Futures program help inflate the cost of college on top of student loans. To really make college affordable, get the government to stop offering merit programs like Bright Futures. I saw the scam that was these merit programs when I was in University over a decade ago.
As someone who has seen how the sausage is made in Florida higher ed firsthand, this is not true. Tallahassee does its best to dictate that individual schools cannot raise tuition more than what they think they've got in the BF pot and there is huge pressure to keep the tuition part of the equation at the same price it was in 2005 or so. (The fee increases are typically attempts to gett around state-mandated tuition freezes)

Never mind that all kinds of things are more expensive now than they are then. A lot of schools are now being hit hard with the state increase in minimum wage- plenty of low level clerical, facilities, and food service workers were making less than the $11/hour now required under state law for all employers public and private.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You need incoming students to object to the fees.

And not use any of the services/buildings attached to the fees.

That's when real change can happen.

As long as loans are available, it doesn't matter. Colleges will have fees for everything, all rolled up. But if that awesome new rec building has ZERO PEOPLE using it? They can't justify it. Fees go bye bye.
Or you just get a job and pay for your danged fees which is what MOST students in Florida do.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Or you just get a job and pay for your danged fees which is what MOST students in Florida do.
That's also an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies