Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 12:28 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, it has been pretty obvious from the get-go that he doesn't have a clue about much. I am sure he was promised this job for backing off in the primaries, just like many others were.

I am surprised he is so ignorant about rural areas considering where he is from, but then again, he is simply a mindless puppet reading a script. Hey, at least he can read without stumbling, so maybe he should be POTUS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 12:32 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,529,717 times
People who are book smart typically have no common sense.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:37 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah, electric tow vehicles for the average joe just aren't feasible , yet.

In a recent towing test with another EV, lugging a 3859-pound boat at 70 mph chopped its range in half compared to a run at the same speed sans trailer. Applying these results to the F-150 means that towing a modest trailer would put the highway range at roughly 100 to 125 miles, depending on the pack. Towing anywhere near the 10,000-pound maximum rating on XLT and Lariat models (with the maximum trailer tow package and extended-range battery) at highway speeds, we believe you'd be hard pressed to exceed double-digit miles. We'd take that bet, in fact.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-range-towing/
70 MPH towing a 4,000 boat? Who does that? It's not even legal in most states. CA speedlimit for towing a boat is 55 MPH. Alaska is 45MPH. Fuel usage goes up exponentially at speeds over 55 towing a boat. You would greatly increase your mileage in any vehicle by slowing it down and be safer as well. I was driving a truck towing a 4,000 boat that blew a trailer tire apart and it's not a fun experience.

Even so, most of the off-shore boats that my buddies have are around 21' and clock in a little under 4,000. So even at 70 MPH that range will get us to all of our usual marinas. I don't think we're unusual. Most people who tow boats long distances are using smaller bass boats or skiboats.

For me, 10,000 lb towing would be perfect. It'll handle a good size fishing boat or camping trailer.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
if people want them they will buy them.
Exactly. Don't want an EV, don't buy one. Buy I can absolutely guarantee people in rural areas will be buying EVs because they already are.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It doesn't take a genius to be smart enough to know that rural residents can easily recharge their vehicles every night while at home. Furthermore, I live in a rural town and know there are at least three places where one can go to get EV recharged. So, it doesn't make any sense to ridicule Pete.

The Chinese are expected to start to invade the U. S. market with their EVs, so that will bring the price down.
Do you see any Chinese phone on the market? So how do you expect any Chinese EV will be able to sell here in the US when you don’t buy any Chinese phone or regular Chinese ICE car.

Unless you said Phone and Car that is Made in China, then yes, we have them here already.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:59 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
70 MPH towing a 4,000 boat? Who does that? It's not even legal in most states. CA speedlimit for towing a boat is 55 MPH. Alaska is 45MPH. Fuel usage goes up exponentially at speeds over 55 towing a boat. You would greatly increase your mileage in any vehicle by slowing it down and be safer as well. I was driving a truck towing a 4,000 boat that blew a trailer tire apart and it's not a fun experience.

Even so, most of the off-shore boats that my buddies have are around 21' and clock in a little under 4,000. So even at 70 MPH that range will get us to all of our usual marinas. I don't think we're unusual. Most people who tow boats long distances are using smaller bass boats or skiboats.

For me, 10,000 lb towing would be perfect. It'll handle a good size fishing boat or camping trailer.
You're kidding right ? LOL...

Come to Michigan either in the summer or winter. I75 north bound on a weekend is filled with trucks and trailers...and if you happen to be going 70...well you are basically a rolling road block.
I don't tow a lot anymore, but when I do, the cruise is set at 78mph, and that is with just a small trailer and around 3800lbs. When I did tow a lot, it was nothing to roll 75-80mph with either my 26' boat , 25' 4 place enclosed snowmobile hauler or my race car on an open trailer. All with a 3/4 ton diesel.

As far as losing a tire...it happened with my enclosed (7500lbs loaded) one time...I didn't even know it. It was on the axle I couldn't see, another driver had to tell me.

10,000 lbs for a half ton truck is perfect, and I'm sure that electric F150 has plenty of power for it, the 150 mile or less range is a$$ chapper though, for a lot of us.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:04 PM

17,427 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:

This is why people say some are out of touch.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:08 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Exactly. Don't want an EV, don't buy one. Buy I can absolutely guarantee people in rural areas will be buying EVs because they already are.
I'm sure some will, not sure what you are trying to debate.

They certainly aren't selling like hotcakes here in MI. With the big push from the OEM's to get new products out, that could change. I know we will end up with my ICE pickup and hopefully an EV for the wife. Still going to keep my 30 year old ICE sports truck, it might not be as quick as a Tesla plaid but it's 4.3 0-60 isn't too bad for an old antique.

The Secretary of State’s office counts 5.8 million gas vehicles, and 13,545 EVs and 105,651 hybrid vehicles registered in the state.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/mich...7f1d75b7a.html

Old 11-30-2021, 01:09 PM

17,427 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
You're kidding right ? LOL...

Come to Michigan either in the summer or winter. I75 north bound on a weekend is filled with trucks and trailers...and if you happen to be going 70...well you are basically a rolling road block.
I don't tow a lot anymore, but when I do, the cruise is set at 78mph, and that is with just a small trailer and around 3800lbs. When I did tow a lot, it was nothing to roll 75-80mph with either my 26' boat , 25' 4 place enclosed snowmobile hauler or my race car on an open trailer. All with a 3/4 ton diesel.

As far as losing a tire...it happened with my enclosed (7500lbs loaded) one time...I didn't even know it. It was on the axle I couldn't see, another driver had to tell me.

10,000 lbs for a half ton truck is perfect, and I'm sure that electric F150 has plenty of power for it, the 150 mile or less range is a$$ chapper though, for a lot of us.
I'll wave to you from the other end of the state going up 196.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm a big proponent of hydrogen fuel celled electric vehicles
Too many inefficient energy transition vectors make it a non-contender. You need energy to produce hydrogen and only 38% of that makes it to a hydrogen car's electric motor. Whereas with an electric car, 80% of it makes it to the motor.

https://theconversation.com/hydrogen...science-139899

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news...-question.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies