Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 02:07 PM

30,344 posts, read 19,143,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
If Obama got to where he was due to affirmative action, then he is an ideal example of the policy working, don't you agree?
Yes, it worked out for Obama for sure. I supported AA for a couple of decades to start the correction to get blacks into the workplace and universities but I wonder why we still need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
You clearly don’t know the average black student at Harvard. Both me and my sibling got 1370 and 1460 on our SATs respectively and my brother got rejected from UT, while I couldn’t even sniff Rice or University of Georgia. 1450 minimum is what you need to even be considered for an Ivy League school if your not a Valedictorian, or have a 4.00 GPA and a whole list of other things on top of it.

The majority of Harvard students are Valedictorians and Salutatorians including the black ones.
That sounds impressive for sure but Obama didn't need that high of a score to get into Harvard.

In my son's HS, his friend had a 4.00, perfect 1600 SAT, and was Valedictorian and another black student had almost as high SAT and grades and his friend did not get into any top univrsity while the black student was admitted to every university, he submitted to including Stanford and Harvard. That's just the way it is.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:11 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That can be said for any group.
Exactly. Finally agree with you on something.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:21 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
If it weren’t for affirmative action, then there would be close to zero African American students at the most selective universities in the United States, unfortunately.

Nonetheless, it is noteworthy that there are more economically successful black people in the United States than there are in all other countries combined.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:32 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
My baseline is a Ph.D in economics. Frankly, I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about.

Anyway here is Per Capita PPP-GDP which simply kills your argument.....2020 data per The IMF

US - $68,309
Botswana - $18,113
Ghana - $5,968
Nigeria - $5,280
We are talking about millionaires. Also your using the U.S average when we are talking about black people and black millionaires.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_billionaires

Due to the oils downturn, Nigeria has lost a lot of its billionaires. But by PPP, since about 2010, Nigeria has always had more black billionaires than the U.S, since the Dollar is worth roughly 2x more in Nigeria. So an individual of net worth 500 million in Nigeria has the same spending power as an Individual of network 1 billion in the U.S.

Currently the U.S has 7.5 black billionaires, (Rihanna being U.S based is the half). Of those 5 out of 8, are or were former entertainers. The 7th is Alex Karp, btw, who joins Robert Smith and David Steward in the businessman category.

Nigeria- has 6-10 billionaires (The wiki list doesn’t show all the Nigerian billionaires for some reason), but Forbes says 10, and the Nigerian page says 6. Then theirs an additional 7-10 folks who have met worths over 500 million.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...s_by_net_worth

This trend of Nigeria having more super-rich black folks than the U.S has been a thing since about 2010. But the looser you define rich the bigger the gap between Nigeria and U.S becomes. Just outright black millionaires, theirs apparently 1.5 million black people with a net worth of over 1,000,000 USD (most of this is in real estate, just because owning 2 houses that have over 1,000,000 million dollars in value puts you well into this category, but in reality your just upper middle class). Nigeria by comparison only has 9,000 such individuals. But once you realize that real estate is the bulk of that difference. Also Oil prices and garbage leadership means that Nigeria which tripled in the number of millionaires earlier in the decade is currently losing millionaires. So the 9,000 was roughly 20,000 just a couple years ago.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:36 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
You clearly don’t know the average black student at Harvard. Both me and my sibling got 1370 and 1460 on our SATs respectively and my brother got rejected from UT, while I couldn’t even sniff Rice or University of Georgia. 1450 minimum is what you need to even be considered for an Ivy League school if your not a Valedictorian, or have a 4.00 GPA and a whole list of other things on top of it.

The majority of Harvard students are Valedictorians and Salutatorians including the black ones.
This is an excellent post. People need to understand that Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Stanford etc. admit very few students who are not top 1 or 2% on the academic merits who have also demonstrated leadership skills.

It is also fair the say, simply because it's provably true, per inbound student metrics the averages between Asians, whites and blacks fall in that order and the gaps are fairly significant.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
We are talking about millionaires. Also your using the U.S average when we are talking about black people and black millionaires.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_billionaires

Due to the oils downturn, Nigeria has lost a lot of its billionaires. But by PPP, since about 2010, Nigeria has always had more black billionaires than the U.S, since the Dollar is worth roughly 2x more in Nigeria. So an individual of net worth 500 million in Nigeria has the same spending power as an Individual of network 1 billion in the U.S.

Currently the U.S has 7.5 black billionaires, (Rihanna being U.S based is the half). Of those 5 out of 8, are or were former entertainers. The 7th is Alex Karp, btw, who joins Robert Smith and David Steward in the businessman category.

Nigeria- has 6-10 billionaires (The wiki list doesn’t show all the Nigerian billionaires for some reason), but Forbes says 10, and the Nigerian page says 6. Then theirs an additional 7-10 folks who have met worths over 500 million.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...s_by_net_worth

This trend of Nigeria having more super-rich black folks than the U.S has been a thing since about 2010. But the looser you define rich the bigger the gap between Nigeria and U.S becomes. Just outright black millionaires, theirs apparently 1.5 million black people with a net worth of over 1,000,000 USD (most of this is in real estate, just because owning 2 houses that have over 1,000,000 million dollars in value puts you well into this category, but in reality your just upper middle class). Nigeria by comparison only has 9,000 such individuals. But once you realize that real estate is the bulk of that difference. Also Oil prices and garbage leadership means that Nigeria which tripled in the number of millionaires earlier in the decade is currently losing millionaires. So the 9,000 was roughly 20,000 just a couple years ago.
No you are talking about millionaires. The other guy added the millionaire angle when his original claim fell apart.

FWIIW - The original topic I responded to was about the number of, "successful" black people not, "millionaire/billionaire" black people.

ETA - FWIIW my son is white. One of his first medical residency mentors was black. Very long story short that guy is a top couple of percent-er within his profession and because he is young and is primarily an academic and research MD there's pretty-much no way he's a millionaire. So he's a very successful non-millionaire.

Last edited by EDS_; 11-30-2021 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-30-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
See, a borderline dummy

Bill Cosby scored a 500 and got into Temple. There are plenty of highly intelligent black people but one can't go on their ability to be admitted into a certain university like you can in the case of whites and Asians.
500 can't be correct. About 1% of SAT takers score below 600.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:49 PM

26,482 posts, read 15,063,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Everyone born in America is privileged on the world scale. Separating people by race has been what the Democrats have done and profited on going back to them bringing slaves here, writing Jim Crow laws, and now creating hostility and violence.
Democrats have always been the party of systemic racism from Thomas Jefferson to Joe Biden. It is just that their institutionalized racism is now targeted against Asians and whites.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Democrats have always been the party of systemic racism from Thomas Jefferson to Joe Biden. It is just that their institutionalized racism is now targeted against Asians and whites.
You are correct, Democrats have always supported systemic racism and still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies