Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 10:41 AM

18,256 posts, read 8,060,932 times

Advertisements

Things are getting so absurd....I have nothing to say about anything any more

....it just writes itself

"Buried deep within the massive infrastructure legislation recently signed by President Joe Biden is a little-noticed “safety” measure that will take effect in five years. Marketed to Congress as a benign tool to help prevent drunk driving, the measure will mandate that automobile manufacturers build into every car what amounts to a “vehicle kill switch.”"

""What we do know is that the “safety” device must “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.”"

"This is a privacy disaster in the making, and the fact that the provision made it through the Congress reveals — yet again — how little its members care about the privacy of their constituents."

"The lack of ultimate control over one’s vehicle presents numerous and extremely serious safety issues; issues that should have been obvious to Members of Congress before they voted on the measure."

"First, use of the word “passively” suggests the system will always be on and constantly monitoring the vehicle. Secondly, the system must connect to the vehicle’s operational controls, so as to disable the vehicle either before driving or during, when impairment is detected. Thirdly, it will be an “open” system, or at least one with a backdoor, meaning authorized (or unauthorized) third-parties can remotely access the system’s data at any time."

have at it> https://dailycaller.com/2021/11/29/b...itch-for-cars/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 10:54 AM

4,064 posts, read 4,798,449 times
That article makes a lot of assumptions regarding systems that haven't even been designed yet, but overall I like the idea of preventing impaired drivers from operating a motor vehicle and potentially killing innocent people including children. I would even go one step further to add the capability for police to shut down a suspect vehicle involved in high speed chases which could save even more lives.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:56 AM

16,961 posts, read 14,272,461 times
I don't think the tech is there yet - but it sounds like every car will have a camera focused on the driver.

That's my knee jerk reaction.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:59 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,092,806 times
...So many tyrannical things being suggested/passed...and TRUMP was the tyrant?

Old 11-30-2021, 11:05 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,855,178 times
This is why I am driving my car until it dies.

Then will resurrect it and drive it some more.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:06 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,855,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
That article makes a lot of assumptions regarding systems that haven't even been designed yet, but overall I like the idea of preventing impaired drivers from operating a motor vehicle and potentially killing innocent people including children. I would even go one step further to add the capability for police to shut down a suspect vehicle involved in high speed chases which could save even more lives.
And what happens when it malfunctions, your car is made inoperable by the kill switch, and you have no car for a month?

Old 11-30-2021, 11:07 AM

7,811 posts, read 4,521,762 times
Talk to MADD if you have a problem with it. They're the ones who are pushing it.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:31 AM

24,276 posts, read 16,947,120 times
A kill switch for drunks and impaired drivers?

I wonder if this will apply to the illegal aliens that sneak in to the country and pack their trucks with 20 people then go around driving drunk?

Don't bother to answer because we all know they will be exempt from this Big Brother Watching You scheme just as they are exempt from being required to get the covid shot.

It is funny how all these "safety" programs that the Dems are pushing only effects the law abiding and as for those that ignore them? ah they are just anecdotes.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:36 AM

7,591 posts, read 3,257,401 times
Don't be alarmed. These chains are for your safety, comrades.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:40 AM

18,630 posts, read 7,470,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
So the fact that it hasn't been abused YET, makes it OK to put into everybody's cars? Including people who have done nothing wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies