Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 10:18 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Yea but the civilian AR-15 and the earlier military only select fire AR-15s are/were simply not the same weapon. As mentioned above an a 2WD F-150 is not the same as a 4x4 F-150 etc. etc.

Yes, I'm aware, as I've posted multiple times in this thread.

I've owned an AR-15. I've been issued an M4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 02:18 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yes, I'm aware, as I've posted multiple times in this thread.

I've owned an AR-15. I've been issued an M4.
Thank you for your service.

To be clear I'm not so much arguing with your points.....more so wanting the make sure people who drive-by this thread don't leave with the notion that the original select fire AR-15s and the Colt, now many makers, civilian AR-15 are the same weapon they are not. No warrior headed off to battle would pick an AR-15 civilian (often non-mil spec. triggers, often lower quality stripped uppers and lowers for that matter etc.) over a legit select fire mil spec M-16 etc.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:29 PM

12,381 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Thank you for your service.

To be clear I'm not so much arguing with your points.....more so wanting the make sure people who drive-by this thread don't leave with the notion that the original select fire AR-15s and the Colt, now many makers, civilian AR-15 are the same weapon they are not. No warrior headed off to battle would pick an AR-15 civilian (often non-mil spec. triggers, often lower quality stripped uppers and lowers for that matter etc.) over a legit select fire mil spec M-16 etc.
However that soldier would pick up a civilian AR-15 rather than the lever action rifle that some posters say they can keep up the same rate of fire with if he found himself scavenging a community for a weapon.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
However that soldier would pick up a civilian AR-15 rather than the lever action rifle that some posters say they can keep up the same rate of fire with if he found himself scavenging a community for a weapon.
Insert vid of Chuck Conners as The Rifleman.....never mind his Model 1892 (1886?) barrel would have been dead in no time. FWIIW I think the show was set before 1892.

No matter the model there's no way in hades an 1892 or similar is fireable at that rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IVCwYPjFXc

ETA - just read that rifle was rigged by a gunsmith to fire at lever close......no trigger pull needed.

Old 12-11-2021, 05:55 PM

27,118 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
Insert vid of Chuck Conners as The Rifleman.....never mind his Model 1892 (1886?) barrel would have been dead in no time. FWIIW I think the show was set before 1892.

No matter the model there's no way in hades an 1892 or similar is fireable at that rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IVCwYPjFXc

ETA - just read that rifle was rigged by a gunsmith to fire at lever close......no trigger pull needed.
I've seen videos of lever actions being fired at unbelievable rates of fire.
There are those that can do it.

And yes, the rifle in the Rifleman was after the time period that the show was set in but some of it's
episodes were also set in an earlier period such as at least one that showed Lincoln visiting.
Have I aged myself yet? I grew up when the Show was new.

Fast rate of fire in a lever action making the Rifleman look slow;

https://youtu.be/eYQBgi0TRGU

Last edited by bluesjuke; 12-11-2021 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 10:32 PM

10,702 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Again, splitting hairs and at the same time, making poor comparisons in an attempt to promote the idea an AR15 is not an assault weapon for what ever political reason you may have.

The AR15 I used in the military was capable of full auto. A small, single mechanical part is the only difference between semi and auto and easily done by anyone that wants to.

Try taking your bolt action rifle and converting it into Vulcan minigun is a stupid comparison. You may as well compare a Mossberg 590 to a hammer and nail.
The highlight above is factually incorrect.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The highlight above is factually incorrect.
That guy has flat out lied three or four times in this thread....all along those lines.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
<<SNIP>>

And converting a semiauto to full auto is not "easily done by anyone who wants to." First of all, it's illegal per the 1984 National Firearms Act to even machine the parts unless you are an authorized government/military supplier doing so specifically for government/military use. Buying/selling the items to modify the trigger group is illegal as well. But let's say you illegally manage to get hold of a key....
The National Firearms Act was passed in 1934. You are referring to McClure/Volkmer, FOPA of 1986, not 1984.

What’s this “Key” you refer to?

Machining of the parts is legal, as is possessing them, as long as one doesn’t create a machine gun, and there is no requirement to be an “authorized government/military supplier doing so specifically for government/military use.” Modification of the parts is perfectly legal as long as one doesn’t create a machine gun.

Quote:
All you need to do now is tear apart the trigger group, use your easily acquired master gunsmith skills to weld a cam to the sear disconnector, in order for the key to function and cycle the bolt and not fail on the first round, and voila, with just shy of $10k in gunsmithing equipment, master gunsmithing skills, and half dozen busted federal laws, you can "easily" convert a semiauto into a full auto.
AR’s and M-16’s have sears, and disconnectors, but they are separate parts. There is no “sear disconnector.” Making one full auto requires no welding, and most certainly no welding on of a “cam” and none of that made up nonsense is required to get a “Key” to function, for the simple reason that these rifles don’t have a “key.”

Just stop. . .

Old 12-11-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
An AR15 is defined, by statue, as an assault weapon. So are the AK, UZi, AR-70, FN/FAL, MAC-10, Steyr AUG, TEC-9, and revolving cylinder shotguns.

Which is VERY different from an assault RIFLE.

Assault rifles are select fire long arms utilizing a smaller round than a main battle rifle.

Assault weapons have two+ of the following characteristics if it's a semi-auto rifle:
  • Folding/telescopic sight
  • pistol grip
  • bayonet mount
  • threaded barrel
  • grenade launcher
Assault weapons that are semi-auto pistols with two+ of these:
  • Magazines outside the grip
  • Threaded barrel
  • Barrel shroud
  • Greater than 50oz unloaded weight at manufacture
  • Semi-auto version of a fully auto pistol.
You forgot the all important “shoulder thing that goes up.”

Old 12-11-2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
None of them even know enough to bring up SBRs with a forearm brace. I'd love to watch them parse and sub-parse that one with caveats, quid-pro-quos in a positively Talmudic attempt to define them and make law. The deal is that when you make bad law, it is a guarantee that said bad law can instantly be bypassed by technology. The fact is that there is no possibility of making good law that defines "assault" <fill-in-the-blank>
It’s not an SBR, it’s a pistol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies