Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2021, 11:37 AM

35,051 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Okay. What is "common sense"? We hear our politicians claim that over and over again......what is it?

Long story short of it is that when people err on the side of caution mostly, a lot of innocent people get locked up.......and a lot nothing gets done.

In a bureaucracy, it is far easier to get forgiveness than it is permission.
In this context, you can call the cops on someone and they can "stop, question and frisk." If the guy's an armed camp and in a school he can be arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 05:30 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
I expect we'll soon see charges filed against the parents of the shooter. Good. I hope they throw the book at them
Quote:
A prosecutor on Thursday repeated her criticism of the parents of a boy who is accused of killing four students at a Michigan school, saying their actions went “far beyond negligence” and that a charging decision would come by Friday.

“The parents were the only individuals in the position to know the access to weapons,” Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said. The gun “seems to have been just freely available to that individual.”
Quote:
“All I can say at this point is those actions on mom and dad’s behalf go far beyond negligence,” she told WJR-AM. “We obviously are prosecuting the shooter to the fullest extent. ... There are other individuals who should be held accountable.”
Charging decision anticipated for Michigan shooter’s parents

Old 12-02-2021, 06:46 PM

4,901 posts, read 2,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No doubt as long as the 2nd Amendment remains unchanged, we in this country have no other choice than to accept that school shootings will remain as a normal feature of American life. Gun rights supporters most certainly would not want laws passed to try to make it otherwise. Gun rights supporters are far more concerned about restoring felons their full gun rights when they are released from prison.
Stillwater Townie, I don’t know where you get you’re information from, but this isn’t ONE mainstream Gun Rights group out there supporting rearming convicted felons! If so, please name that organization.

Using the NRA, as an example, they do not support the reinstatement of gun right to any convicted FELON. FURTHERMORE!! All gun rights organizations have pushed for and supported strict punishment for individuals who commit crimes with firearms AND the stopping to pleading down criminal convictions by the Government, local, State and federal, by throwing out the firearms violations for a lesser sentence.

Again, please tell us which Gun Right organization supports gun rights being given back to convicted felons.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:16 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
Kids are getting more dimwitted by the year:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teen-post...232828749.html

Old 12-02-2021, 07:47 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, A and B.

A: I am sure there are many TPTB who would love to have the authority to off people for just the way they looked.

B: I've always maintained that if I am ever a hostage like on an airliner or something, they are going to shoot me first just on general principle.
LOL, yeah #metoo on B. Or any hostage situation. I'm not promoting execution/euthanasia just on looks as to A. With quadrapeds I always gave them a chance even when I just knew via instinct they would go bad. But we can't look at humans the same way. Or at least we can't do any...preemptive strikes... based on crazy eyes or even behavior. When a human goes bad in the way this kid or Darrel Brooks did sadly somebody always has to die or be maimed for life before action can be taken.

That's something we just have to accept I reckon.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:11 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,166 times
Default CHARGE the parents

I am so glad they are thinking about and I hope they decide to CHARGE the parents. I have never seen such neglect and harm done by parents-letting their minor children access to guns. I beleive there are federal laws that say guns should not be in the hands of minors. I am aware of a hangun act from 1968, I beleive.

YES, let's start arresting the parents too if they had a part in this.

This is just disgusting that it keeps happening.It is disgusting that our lawmakers know the majority of US citizens support safer guns laws and prohibiting semi-automatics for regular purchse-BUT they do NOTHING! Pressure form the far right, pressure form the gun manufacturers pretending to be gun owners.

SICK, the US is SICK!

Old 12-03-2021, 09:33 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I am so glad they are thinking about and I hope they decide to CHARGE the parents. I have never seen such neglect and harm done by parents-letting their minor children access to guns. I beleive there are federal laws that say guns should not be in the hands of minors. I am aware of a hangun act from 1968, I beleive.

YES, let's start arresting the parents too if they had a part in this.

This is just disgusting that it keeps happening.It is disgusting that our lawmakers know the majority of US citizens support safer guns laws and prohibiting semi-automatics for regular purchse-BUT they do NOTHING! Pressure form the far right, pressure form the gun manufacturers pretending to be gun owners.

SICK, the US is SICK!
Instead of ranting can explain how any new laws could have prevented this ? Problems don't go away by legislation, they go away by addressing the root causes.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
..........This is just disgusting that it keeps happening.It is disgusting that our lawmakers know the majority of US citizens support safer guns laws and prohibiting semi-automatics for regular purchse-BUT they do NOTHING! Pressure form the far right, pressure form the gun manufacturers pretending to be gun owners.

SICK, the US is SICK!
Do they support prohibiting semi-automatics for regular purchase.....or is that just what the media would want us to believe.

One must keep in mind that to say civilians can't have semi automatics means that they are being kept in 19th century technology, kept backwards by more than a century.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-03-2021 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-03-2021, 10:13 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Parents have been charged

DETROIT — A Michigan prosecutor on Friday filed involuntary manslaughter charges against the parents of the 15-year-old suspect in the Oxford High School shooting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/8850669002/

It doesn't seem like enough, but I bet these charges will be easier to convict on.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:17 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Parents have been charged.
Good. I hope this destroys them.

What I am now wondering about is the "concerning behavior" that alarmed the school enough to call in his useless parents. And why after the meeting on the day of the shooting was he allowed to go back to class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies