Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2021, 08:53 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,760,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The charging of the parents seem political. How many parents buy guns to take their kids target shooting. Wasn't like they packed the gun in his backpack.
I agree 100%. Prior to them fleeing, they did nothing illegal (albeit keeping the gun in an unlocked drawer was reckless). They bought a gun for their teen as a Christmas gift on Black Friday.

I am also not aware of flags that the kid exhibited prior to the gun being purchased. We can assume there were, but it would be an assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 08:55 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,749,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I agree 100%. Prior to them fleeing, they did nothing illegal (albeit keeping the gun in an unlocked drawer was reckless). They bought a gun for their teen as a Christmas gift on Black Friday.

I am also not aware of flags that the kid exhibited prior to the gun being purchased. We can assume there were, but it would be an assumption.
So let's just say if it comes out that the parents knew what the kid was planning would you change your mind about coddling the parents?

Old 12-04-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
So let's just say if it comes out that the parents knew what the kid was planning would you change your mind about coddling the parents?
Of course.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
That's not what this is about. What this is ...... Is. "hey son I know you hate everyone at school so lemme get you a gun". Whoops "he took it to school". Ohh well.

The school "hey mom and dad you promise he won't shoot up the class"??? "Look at his Babyface he would never do such a thing". "Don't do it".
The gun was purchased for him prior to the school meetings. Perhaps there were earlier flags.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:06 AM

29,394 posts, read 14,607,161 times
Quote:
We know what the issues are at the Elem level. Children with IEPs and behavior plans and therapy and meds are nothing new. The problem i see is that IF the child comes from the middle class it's much harder to remove them from school or divert to alt schooling where they have the resources avail for dangerous kids. Poor kids end up in these schools because the middle class and up kids parents fight to keep them in despite them injuring multiple kids and teachers. Demographics matter. I'm just advocating for zero tolerance across the board. I'd rather pay a lawyer to fight a lawsuit against Johnny ApplePies parents than have several all American kids laying in a pool of their own blood. That's a trade off i think we all can live with.
Understood, but i don't think demographics when it comes to these rampage shootings. Go back and look at some of the shooters from past incidents. They didn't come from poor families, they were middle class and up.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If they bought the gun 10 years ago that might have made sense but a week ago with all the red flags? Yes guns should be locked up so children can’t access them.
What flags were there prior to the gun purchase on Black Friday? The two school teachers reported incidents after the purchase.

I am not saying there were no flags (prior to the gun purchase) - I assume there were - but I just have not read about any.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:10 AM

12,963 posts, read 9,639,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Understood, but i don't think demographics when it comes to these rampage shootings. Go back and look at some of the shooters from past incidents. They didn't come from poor families, they were middle class and up.
And from two parent household as well.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:14 AM

8,195 posts, read 3,474,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I'm hearing that the prosecutor's office messed up, by announcing the chargers against the parents before having them in custody. And that such a press conference takes place after the person is in custody, that you don't hold a press conference announcing to the world what you are going to do before having the people in physical custody.
That should have been obvious.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,872,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I think, if society was the same as it was 20, 30, 40 years ago, this kid and his issues would have been found out at the elementary school level, or earlier.
No, not at all. I know a number of kids with behaviors both known and documented with an IEP and those not. There is many these days. There are others who are not on that radar too. Many of the school shooters often are these not on the radar but didn't surprise anyone by being it because they were a "weird kid."

Old 12-04-2021, 09:19 AM

19,590 posts, read 12,196,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post

Unlike the Parkland shooter who had a history with law enforcement and unstable behavior before his guardian allowed him to have a gun in the home, we don't know right now about this one. Same with Sandy hook, severely autistic loner, trained to use guns by his parent.

I think it is a very safe assumption that Crumbley had been displaying disturbing behavior and the parents knew it. It really isn't that unusual for parents to ignore or normalize their disturbed kids, as a way to kind of pretend their kid isn't really mentally ill/weird/dangerous. But denial is dangerous in such cases. Sandy Hook mom rebuffed the school and pulled him out when they wanted him to get more help. Kept a bunch of guns in the home even after he blacked out his room and stopped communicating.

These types of parents are a huge part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies