Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2021, 12:48 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,706,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree with this, a pretty sad state of affairs on this country. You now have a generation of people, who don't know of a America without school shootings. They have no knowledge of what it's like to live in a country free of mass school shootings, and that's pretty sad.

IMO, America's Rubicon moment occurred when nothing happened after Sandy Hook. If a classroom full of dead first graders didn't motivate greater gun control measures then nothing will. We have become a nation sickly consumed and cursed by its fetish with guns. This is who we are.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 12-05-2021 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 02:17 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
IMO, America's Rubicon moment occurred when nothing happened after Sandy Hook. If a classroom full of dead first graders didn't motivate greater gun control measures then nothing will. We have become a nation sickly consumed and cursed by its fetish with guns. This is who we are.
Well stated. Sadly this tragedy will soon be a speck in the rear view mirror just like Sandy Hook, Parkland, the Mandalay Bay shootings - and all the other countless, countless lives lost before - and yet to come. Teachers are effectively being asked to prepare for and train for this situation every single day across America. Is this what they signed up for??? They are basically risking their lives to attempt to educate America. What in heaven’s name has brought us to a point where just attending and surviving school is basically a lottery? None of those poor students ever thought that they would have their lives ended so brutally that day - and none of their parents ever expected to never see their child alive again after they went to school. No goodbyes - just a hideous, unimaginable void that took their babies, can never be filled and will never heal. It is just heartbreaking, depressing and disgusting. As you say, if Sandy Hook changed nothing then that is a damning reflection on American society. With those precious “rights” to own deadly weapons come mighty responsibilities. Those parents gave an unstable child a deadly weapon. The fact that the father suspected immediately that his son was the shooter is beyond damning.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:22 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are mental health issue in many countries but they don't have mass shootings with this frequency, what are we doing differently. I can think of one thing.
Exactly.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:18 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Name one piece of legislation that would have prevented Sandy Hook. Remember, laws are only has good as the people following them.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:25 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are mental health issue in many countries but they don't have mass shootings with this frequency, what are we doing differently. I can think of one thing.
There is a serious mental issue in every country. And there have been guns in almost every home throughout America's history, but these shootings just began happening for the last 20 or so years.

What is quite unique is how much we (being Americans) overmedicate our kids with SSRIs to treat depression and anxiety. No one else does that but we do.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:49 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I think that is a bad analogy. Voting cannot cause death, whereas use of a gun can. Like driving requires training, or at least a test, to be sure one knows how to drive and understands the rules of the road so as to not kill other drivers. Wouldn't hurt to require gun purchasers to take a basic class or test.
" Voting cannot cause death"

It can if you elect the wrong people!

Old 12-05-2021, 05:50 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
True. And the sad thing about that, is that a European told me the exact same thing in the months after that shooting, he was visiting the states. And I pushed back a little on what he was saying, because I didn't like the fact that a European was telling me that nothing was going to happen, and he was saying it with confidence, but he was right.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Driving is not a right.

The basic point of the matter is that bearing arms is a right.

The curious thing is, at one time, we did require training on the rights. It was known as Civics. But Civics was replaced with Social Studies so now we have so many who do not know what their rights are.

And yes it would hurt for when you start giving the government power to regulate a right then the government can arrange things so one can have that right..............or not!
"The basic point of the matter is that bearing arms is a right."

Which is WHY it is in the "Bill of Rights"!

Old 12-05-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:

^^^IMO these are callous excuses and diversions commonly heard to dismiss this type of school shooting which is uniquely a dreadful American problem. Distractions meant to prevent progress or impede any effort to work toward solutions in this nation of ours which is sickly consumed and cursed by its fetish with guns.

School shootings like this are almost exclusively American.

There are kids with mental health issues in high schools around the world. There are high schools with compulsory attendance and standard similar architecture to ours around the globe. But only in the United States do we enable children to express their teenage angst by bringing guns to school and opening fire on the students, teachers and administrators they see as their tormentors. Only in this country do we make it easier for youths to get their hands on a handgun or an assault rifle than to obtain mental healthcare and counseling or a driver's license.
"and cursed by its fetish with guns."

We CANNOT have honest adult discussions with people who have attitudes like yours!

Old 12-05-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Do you know how those neighborhoods came to be? A little book learning can go a long way and I would suggest you start with this book written by a Pulitzer Prize recipient.

https://www.amazon.com/Warmth-of-Oth...41995157&psc=1
"Do you know how those neighborhoods came to be?"

Sure do!

"by a Pulitzer Prize recipient." Whoop-di-do!

IMO the Pulitzer is a joke.

"Early life and educationIsabel Wilkerson was born in Washington, D.C. ( so was I, does NOT say WHERE, what schools she went to, etc.) in 1961 to parents who left Virginia during the Great Migration. Her father was one of the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II.[2]
Wilkerson studied journalism at Howard University, becoming editor-in-chief of the college newspaper The Hilltop. During college, she interned at publications including the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post.[3]

All LIBERAL places. No bias here!

I LIVED it. I DON'T need some high brow "academic" who probably never set foot in a ghetto to tell me how things came to be.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 12-05-2021 at 06:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies