Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which version do you identify with ?
Leftwing Multiculturalism (ex. Woke Culture, Critical Race Theory, Intersectionality) 8 6.11%
Conservativism (ex. Civic Nationalism, Classical Liberalism, Intellectual Dark Web, Color Blindness) 36 27.48%
Rightwing Ethnonationalism 13 9.92%
Rightwing Multiculturalism 3 2.29%
Other/none 71 54.20%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 11:25 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
BINGO! BUT the will is not there. Del Monte in Yuma Az almost shut down one year when on the eve of new legislation making E-verify mandatory, every rental home got destroyed when they ripped out the wiring, the fixtures, the windows and doors, stole every pick-up truck they could get their hands on, loaded up their loot and beat feet back across the border. They even stole the steel canal gates from all the irrigation canals to sell for scrap back in Mx.

I was living there at the time.

After a couple of months of nervous anxiety, it became clear there was going to be no greater enforcement than in the past - they all returned.

No American would stand out in those fields with a shovel redirecting streams of water all day long in the burning sun irrigating the thousands of acres of rows of cabbages etc..

That's just a fact of life.
It is important to stop the tide of illegal immigration. Legal immigrants, welcome. However, this is what I've always said. FOLLOW THE MONEY. What you said about Del Monte, it is about the money.

When Alabama started cracking down on illegals, they couldn't find anyone who would do that work in the fields. What happened is that farmers started using prison labor to make up for the labor lost.

Most Americans aren't going to do that brutal labor unless.....
1) They are paid ample amounts of money to do so.
2) They are prisoners doing that work.
3) That is all there is, and there's no other work.

Cheap labor and slave labor have always been addictive for some industries. The Deep South had slavery for a long time. Once that ended, it went to sharecropping (debt peonage) and prison labor for many years. Hiring illegals, that is about the money. It's no doubt that Americans don't want to do that kind of labor, not under the current pay and conditions. It's been proven that after while, many will complain about such conditions. This is why many meatpacking plants prefer undocumented workers. They'll work under dangerous conditions and won't complain. There are many rough-hewn, blue collar Americans who will draw the line at certain conditions.

There are many
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 12:05 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Integration is what I grew up around. A person immigrates to a new country while keeping their own traditions. To Americans it's "soft assimilation", meaning that a new immigrant may or may not fully assimilate into the culture but their offspring will be fully assimilated.
The key is they choose to come here, even refugees, so right at the very beginning there is an affinity for their new country.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:48 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Integration is what I grew up around. A person immigrates to a new country while keeping their own traditions. To Americans it's "soft assimilation", meaning that a new immigrant may or may not fully assimilate into the culture but their offspring will be fully assimilated.
The key is they choose to come here, even refugees, so right at the very beginning there is an affinity for their new country.
It used to be but not so much anymore especially with so much illegal immigration today and other "immigrants" who want to retain their native cultures out in mainstream America rather than assimilating into our society.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Your first link has nothing to do with Canada and your statement about Canada was what I was asking about.

Your second link goes back to the 1800's and is mainly about the history of racism and how there has always been some racism.

It mentions a couple of stories of modern day racism, but nothing about a back lash against immigrants overall.

The whole pieces point is that racism has always been around, and it's not new.

If you are trying to make it sound like it's rampant, it isn't.

Again, there has been no back lash in Canada against immigrants, but some upset over off shore buyers who have vented their frustrations on the wrong people.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:56 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Of course they should. Employers are not above our laws.
Have you ever had an employer who verified your citizenship?

My employer actively recruits non-citizens and offers programs for employees to gain accelerated citizenship.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:59 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

My employer actively recruits non-citizens and offers programs for employees to gain accelerated citizenship.
Every employer I dealt with verified my authorization to work as part of the onboarding process.

Old 12-05-2021, 03:10 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
America was never truly one monoculture but the ethnic and cultural differences with newer immigrants are so great to make assimilation impossible. Should we still embrace immigration? If we do, it will be more on the enclave model.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
America was never truly one monoculture but the ethnic and cultural differences with newer immigrants are so great to make assimilation impossible. Should we still embrace immigration? If we do, it will be more on the enclave model.
Perhaps, but we still have had an identifying culture and language. I do agree though that newer immigrants along with massive illegal immigration are not assimilating like they once did. Too many at once from both groups.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

One doesn't have to be a citizen to work here just be here legally and yes my authorization to work in this country was always verified by my potential employer. It's the law!

Old 12-05-2021, 06:18 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Perhaps, but we still have had an identifying culture and language. I do agree though that newer immigrants along with massive illegal immigration are not assimilating like they once did. Too many at once from both groups.
How do you define an American identity that immigrants must assimilate to in places that Whites are a minority?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies