Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2021, 10:59 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
US history isn't remotely taught in it's entirely, you start to do that and the left AND the right will be screaming for it to stop because it's too raw and too embarrassing to narratives.

Ever learn about Sacajawea in school? Sure, most of us have as part of Lewis and Clarks expedition. They tend to leave out that she was a slave and sure won't include that she was enslaved by Indians. They leave out how Indian prostitutes "gave several men the venereal", left out L&C telling Sacajawea's hubby that if he beat her again on the journey that they'd murder him in the wilderness...and that York (a slave to one of L&C) wasn't even given his freedom at the end of the journey despite being a hugely key expedition member.

If they let me teach a class on the Romans I'd have half the class almost vomiting and crying by telling them what went on at the gladiatorial games. Drunken baboons trained to attack and *ahem* abuse children as a public entertainment venue? Um.....that's not very nice.
You and I both know that “in its entirety” does not mean every detail. We are talking about wanting significant information that impacted the nation to be left out of instruction.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:01 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Another good argument for getting rid of govt schools. With education fully privatized, curriculum becomes a concern of faculty and parent, and not society at large.
I love that idea, let's do it.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:10 AM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
based on what, the present very expensive govt model?
Private schools generally cost more than the per student cost for public schools.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:14 AM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Imagine if the per student public school cost could be transferred to the private school of your choice.

Stunning how easily affordable private school would be.
No, that's not true at all. Transfer $10k to a private school for a low socio-economic status child, and they wouldn't be able to come up with the other $15k a private school would cost. Nor do private schools accept special ed students, or students with learning disabilities, or students with ADD, or any number of other issues.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:23 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Likely the case. So is it really CRT then just individuals with problematic viewpoints?
Its hard to say without actually reading the study guide for teachers. I don't think the "Wit and Wisdom curriculum has been reviewed in Williamson County but it has in Wilson County.

The MFL Chair had this to say:

Quote:
MFL chair Robin Steenman, whose children do not attend WCS schools, said part of what she believes to be the problem is the curriculum's methodologies, including that students focus on certain books for several weeks after exposure to topics MFL believes to be inappropriate for younger students.

"If a first grader is exposed to suicide ideation, it's not just the explicit curriculum that they read on the page, you're going to get it again and again and again. And that's really where the danger comes in," Steenman said.

The topics she and MFL believe to be inappropriately represented in "Wit & Wisdom" are "suicide ideation," "bad white people," "extreme emotion," representations of "anti-nuclear family," "cannibalism," "anti-Americanness," "dark imagery" and "graphic death," among others.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...um/7707134002/

Old 12-02-2021, 11:32 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
You stated that “teaching YOUR children right and wrong is YOUR job.” When teachers/schools discipline, they are teaching right/wrong. But you don’t have a problem with that.

How is reading a book about Ruby Bridges making kids feel guilty about the actions of their ancestors? Do you not learn about standing up for right, courage, etc? Are you arguing that the experiences of other Americans’ ancestors be ignored?

When taken individually AND done properly there SHOULDN'T be an issue with it.

But that's not necessarily the case, especially looking at the bigger picture of schools trying to wedge CRT into the classroom by calling it different names or incorporating it's parameters, ideas and agenda into individual lessons.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:36 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They fear CRT being part of the teaching - and they say it makes kids ashamed because of the past deeds of the forefathers. Well then stop -this very minute - teaching the Bible. It’s says we are sinners, and then goes through all kinds of a terrible history of violence, wars and inappropriate sex and cutting off heads and tortures. How do you teach right from wrong without examples? Would love for these ladies to take a day n teach this book, themselves and see if they cover up the real problem ?

I grew up in the Church, attending Sunday school, bible study, vacation bible school etc. from a toddler until my tweens. The material was age appropriate. It did not go into detail about the wars, violence, sex, etc. The "age appropriate" I believe is the issue with some material.
History and Literature are not responsible for teaching right from wrong. Apparently, you have never read children's Bible stories or lesson books or you would know one can teach right from wrong and give examples without focusing on details of murder, meanness and debauchery.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:40 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
For those that haven't seen it here is the 11 page complaint filed by Moms for Liberty also including 11 of the 14 items prohibited.

Seems that the Moms have many issues with all 4 of those books although they claimed they don't want them banned maybe they want some of those pages removed..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16W9...JzvDH5Bkk/view

Last edited by Goodnight; 12-02-2021 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-02-2021, 11:41 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
You and I both know that “in its entirety” does not mean every detail. We are talking about wanting significant information that impacted the nation to be left out of instruction.
I know but what they CAN tell you without offending somebody often leaves people with a crippled understanding of the situation.

Go tell a bunch of woke college students that American Indians enslaved people and watch the fireworks.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:55 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
US history isn't remotely taught in it's entirely, you start to do that and the left AND the right will be screaming for it to stop because it's too raw and too embarrassing to narratives.

Ever learn about Sacajawea in school? Sure, most of us have as part of Lewis and Clarks expedition. They tend to leave out that she was a slave and sure won't include that she was enslaved by Indians. They leave out how Indian prostitutes "gave several men the venereal", left out L&C telling Sacajawea's hubby that if he beat her again on the journey that they'd murder him in the wilderness...and that York (a slave to one of L&C) wasn't even given his freedom at the end of the journey despite being a hugely key expedition member.

If they let me teach a class on the Romans I'd have half the class almost vomiting and crying by telling them what went on at the gladiatorial games. Drunken baboons trained to attack and *ahem* abuse children as a public entertainment venue? Um.....that's not very nice.
No period of history is taught in its entirety in school, since the subject matter is so vast. At best you learn the bare minimum, some key events here and there and thats it. I've been interested in WW2 for the last couple of years, and the more I read, the more I think that I don't know anything. Especially the period between 1933-1939.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies