Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2021, 10:02 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
again covid proved this is nothing more than a nonsensical excuse at best. people had more time, and a lot of poor people had more money bc of covid and they got fatter. walking is free and extremely healthy. it's always been a lack of discipline and not working too much, having less options at work etc. People who work the same jobs in the same offices can have drastically different diets and be in drastically different shape.

milk costs more than soda? you don't have to drink soda. water is cheaper than soda- it's free.
junk food costs more money than not eating it at all.

people make bad decisions all the time with food. even if you're poor you can still make better decisions. if you're forced to get fast food on a trip somewhere you don't have to have fries and soda. you don't have to eat the bread with a a burger or sandwhich.you can get a double burger, drop the bread and fries , got more protein while eating less calories and staying full longer. you can always make better decsions even if the options to choose from aren't perfect.More money getting better food doesn't mean you throw all accountability for making terrible choices when you have less money to spend. If you're eating regular grilled chicken instead of organic that's possibly a money issue. If you're stuffing your face with candy soda chips ice cream and eating fast food every day that's a discipline issue. If you're extremely overweight it's with very few medical exceptions, absolutely from eating too much.
Oh so true. I've seen so many stories and even posts in the various subforums here how much weight people have gained "staying at home".

The opportunity was there and a good number of people did not take advantage of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 10:04 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Legal drugs, illegal drugs and suicide. Obesity is a problem, especially morbidly obese, but I think by the time they take all the legal drugs for the health issues that obesity creates, again legal drugs may just speed up their demise.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:47 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Americans (in general) have a SLIGHTLY lower life expectancy than some (only 30 out of 127) other countries

the usa ranked 31. a LE of 79.8

the highest is japan at 83.8

the difference between us and France ....1.2 year

the difference between us and Canada.....1.2 year

life expectancy is not about health care.. but about healthy living.....too bad the liberhaddists dont understand that[/color]
I have no idea where you get your data from, but Canadians live 3.67 years longer, not 1.2 years. The only possible reason I can thing of for that is that Canada has better healthcare and less guns. It's not like you step across the border, and people on the other side of that imaginary line are living some remarkably better lifestyle. It's the exact same lifestyle, but with better healthcare. Too bad CONservatives don't under stand that.

All over the world people are living longer, and longer, and longer, but Americans just keep dying at the same age.

Quote:
Hong Kong 85.03
Japan 84.79

Macao 84.42
Switzerland 83.97
Singapore 83.80
Spain 83.74
Italy 83.71
Australia 83.64
Channel Islands 83.30
Iceland 83.22
South Korea 83.21
Israel 83.19
Sweden 83.03
France 82.86
Malta 82.75
Canada 82.66
Norway 82.64
Ireland 82.51
New Zealand 82.50
Netherlands 82.49
Greece 82.47
Luxembourg 82.47
Portugal 82.29
Finland 82.14
Belgium 81.86
Austria 81.77
Germany 81.57
Slovenia 81.54
United Kingdom 81.52
Cyprus 81.21
Denmark 81.11
Taiwan 80.70
Qatar 80.45
Chile 80.43
Puerto Rico 80.35
Guam 80.35
Barbados 79.39
Curacao 79.10
United States 78.99
U.S. Life Expectancy 1950-2021 _ MacroTrends

Old 12-02-2021, 11:28 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
When you normalize for race, Whites, Asians and Non-White Hispanics are about the same as countries with those races and though American Blacks trail American Whites, American Asians and American Non-White Hispanics; they are considerably better than Black Africans.

U.S. life expectancy was going up until the pandemic, but statistically speaking, Covid shaved off 1 1/2 years.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:37 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,490 times
A shortened life span for fat, drunk, stupid, unvaccinated should be welcomed. It helps the rest of society.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:31 PM

9,866 posts, read 4,638,421 times
This has been a standing issue. The US doesn't have the best health care and/or treatments/protocols. Medical mistakes, mis and over treatment kills thousands every year. A lack of autopsies does not help. Nor does fraudulent coding/billing. Throw in big phara and big insurance lobbying the patient doesn't get the best.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:43 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
harder yes agreed.which makes your decisions even more important. you also don't get to go 5 for 100 while he goes 90 for 100 and blame it all on the higher hoop.

if i'm poor and someone with more money can eat organic, buy milk etc that doesn't mean I say screw it i'll drink soda instead of water, eat tons of junk food and fast food and say there's nothing different i could have done and it's not my fault i'm fat.
The more poor (and tired and stressed) you are, the easier it is to just fall into the path of least resistance. The entire capitalist food industry is oriented around selling profitable processed garbage. And the more poor you are the harder it is to avoid those traps (less time to shop, less availability of fresh foods, etc.). It's not literally impossible to be poor and healthy, but the less money you have the harder it is, and making something harder = fewer people will do it.

Some people will make the right decision no matter what. Some people will make the wrong decision no matter what. Some people will make the right decision only if its not very hard. Representatives of that last group in the wealthy class will be markedly healthier than in the lower class.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:38 PM

13,442 posts, read 4,287,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
80 years ago China was an agrarian state transitioning from an oppressed European psuedo-colony to a bombed-out WWII battleground, while the US was on the verge of being one of the world's few superpowers. The rapid industrialization of China since that time is virtually miraculous in its own right. It's not caught up to the US in lifestyle but the US started out far ahead of it. You're comparing apples and oranges.

I also think you don't understand what a straw man is, but I've said before that I'm not particularly enamored with China, I'm just not as enamored with the US as you are and don't think China is particularly worse. The only thing I'm specifically complimenting China on is having the world's only functional public health department. Those guys must be so proud of themselves every day, having objective proof that they're the only people in the world who did their jobs correctly and saved millions of lives.

A full explanation of why totalitarianism was necessary in China but isn't inherent to communism is a topic for another thread.
China's history didn't start 80 years ago. They had centuries of a head start and problems of their own making. Going communist and be a ruthless totalitarian state didn't help regardless how many times you spin it how totalitarianism was needed. The U.S. was an agrarian state from the 13 colonies and when it was founded. Things don't fall out of the sky.

Not only you are the one that don't understand what straw man is (you brought it up) but the word QUALITY. There is nothing to admire from anything public from Communist China especially their public healthcare which is ranked #144 by the World Health Organization and has a relatively low number of doctors (1.6 per 1,000 population).

China's health insurance system is failing poor people: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2072004/

Is there something that you want to share with us about China and your own personal experience? you lived there? you worked there? you used their public healthcare system? You made a bold statement:

Quote:
the world's only functional public health department.Those guys must be so proud of themselves every day, having objective proof that they're the only people in the world who did their jobs correctly and saved millions of lives.

Thanks for the laugh again. Proof? From a totalitarian regime that runs their own media and disappears any dissent? LOL. You don't know the difference between quality to quantity. No person in any advanced country wants to be treated in China's public system. None. Not even you from the armchair and computer. I really hope Communist China is paying well to shovel b.s because you are really a big fool if you are writing this for free.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:59 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
No person in any advanced country wants to be treated in China's public system.
The average American doesn't even believe in germ theory.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:06 PM

13,442 posts, read 4,287,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
The average American doesn't even believe in germ theory.
but China does, huh? A country that their government runs their own media and news and make people disappear for calling out their b.s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies