Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 12:21 PM

1,601 posts, read 867,225 times

Advertisements

Not denying that Americans are prone to exercise their freedom and general affluence by indulging in food, drink and drugs to excess. But, I'd like to know where our homicide and suicide rates are compared to those countries with a longer life expectancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 12:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
After having just recently traveled Europe, another factor is that Americans are taller, on average. Tall people live shorter lives. Very short people tend to live much longer, and there are a number of countries where the entire population is very short (and not surprisingly, many of these countries beat the US in life expectancy).

It's like with dogs- the bigger breeds just don't live as long.

I just did a quick google and found that, on average, men 5'6" or shorter live 7.5 YEARS longer than men who are 6' or taller. Weight is also a factor, though the linked study isn't helpful as the low end of the weight is only 138lbs, which is physically impossible to achieve if you're over a certain height.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1600586/

Old 12-01-2021, 12:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I lived in Zug Switzerland over several short stints. The the average 50-60yo Swiss grandmother is in better shape than the average Zoomer in the The US.

As you say most Americans with type-2 diabetes either fully or partially self-selected their way there.

The other biggie is drug use. People who abuse hard drugs live shorter and much shorter lives.
My impression of Switzerland is that you’re expected to try to he perfect at your job, whether you’re a window washer or nuclear scientist, while you’re at work but that the hours worked in a week should allow for a nice hike or fitness walk before dinner every day and lunch hour should allow for a nice swim in the local river or lake during summer months. Like most of Europe, they see the 50 hours a week for 50 weeks a year American work culture as barbaric.

It’s not a country of dainty eaters either- they just move enough every day to burn off all the chocolate, cheese, and sausage in a traditional Swiss diet.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:30 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
When I was born in 1945, I was expected to live 67 years.
I fooled them and so far have lived 76.
A baby boy born today is expected to live to be 77, but lifestyle is not factored in. So in my case I lived longer than expected; I don't think that will extend to today's baby boys.

The irony is, most of those children will have a Fit Bit watch by their 12th birthday.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:31 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
This country has massive obesity problem

Old 12-01-2021, 12:32 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Not denying that Americans are prone to exercise their freedom and general affluence by indulging in food, drink and drugs to excess. But, I'd like to know where our homicide and suicide rates are compared to those countries with a longer life expectancy.
Our homicide rate went up 30% last year (thank you BLM) so we are now about 6-10 times higher than nations like Japan, Singapore, Spain who all have substantially longer lifespans. Our suicide rate tends also to be very high, and our drug overdose rate is extremely high, so all of those factors impact average lifespan as they often involve younger people. Horrible diet resulting in obesity is still the biggest star in my opinion in lowering our lifespan.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:35 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
diet and excercise (i.e., lifestyle)

plus fentanyl ODs bringing down the averages.
Yes, its also seems to be availability of affordable healthy food options. I live in Mass and there is a Whole Foods every 5 miles, at least in the Boston area. Also high income helps. A poor person might pick up a bucket of wings from KFC for the family on his/her way home from the second job. A rich person will pick up a whole rotiserie chicken with a side of kale salad and squash.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:36 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We agree, we need more regulation and nutrition education.
I don't know what good regulation and education will do when you have chinese, korean, vietnamese, italian, greek, indian, afghani, peruvian, mexican, bolivian, japanese, brazilian, lebanese, french, thai and on and on within 15 minutes of your home.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:37 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Most other countries don't have enough food or clean drinking water. I'm going to complain for living in a country that has plenty of food and choices? We are all going to die, does it matter to you if you live 1 or 2 years longer at what expense?
Eating like a disgusting slob takes a lot more than 1 to 2 years off your life and drastically reduces your quality of life

If I could eat anything I wanted and die a year sooner with the same quality of life that would be different

Old 12-01-2021, 12:38 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
This country has massive obesity problem
All starts with the diet and food chain, until we address that giant(pun) elephant in the room, we'll continue to die younger and younger. I'm disgusted, embarrassed, and saddened by seeing so many obese people in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies