Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2021, 05:15 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times

Advertisements

Erin Aubry Kaplan wrote an op-ed in the NY Times about her feelings when she saw a white couple stopped and checked out the "Little Library" she had set up in her front yard.

Spoiler
Then one morning, glancing out my front window, I saw a young white couple stopped at the library. Instantly, I was flooded with emotions — astonishment, and then resentment, and then astonishment at my resentment.

Other than the obvious blatant racist revealing nature of the op-ed, this part in particular caught my attention:

Quote:
Screaming at them to get off my lawn would be adopting the values of the oppressor, as my racial-justice activist father used to say. Yet my resentment was not analogous to the white resentment of generations past (and of now, I’d argue). White resentment has always been legitimized, and reinforced, by legal and cultural dominance, a dynamic evident in everything from the rise of Trumpism to the current battle against the political boogeyman of critical race theory.
The irony of a black female who is an affiliate Professor at a university whose works are published by the NY Times and claims that her "resentment" is apparently justified because it's not legitimized and reinforced by legal and cultural dominance? Being published in one of the largest and well respected (well, formally well respected) news outlets without threat of legal retaliation somehow doesn't count? Someone who rails against gentrification (but only the racial aspect of that phenomenon) but was likely a contributor as she moved into her neighborhood 20 years ago as a member of the middle class and saw her home value increase 3 fold?

If one looks past the self indulgent nature of the op-ed, there is a grain of a real world issue, the impact of gentrification on existing occupants whose incomes can't keep up with the value of their properties. But her words will inevitably do nothing to help anyone as she choses to focus only on the effect (just a single effect, not the many other effects) and glosses over the causes.

Quote:
The anti-gentrification strategy articulated by many of my longtime Black neighbors is this: Stay put. Don’t sell. Stand your ground. While that is possible for some of us (I won’t be selling because, really, where would I go?), it’s not for everyone, and it’s not a permanent solution.
She even shows that she intrinsically knows that the root of gentrification is not racial, it's financial and in many ways, without significant involvement by municipalities, inevitable. Rather, she thinks it's better to pen 'woe is me/us' op-ed pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 05:45 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
what a twisted and hateful idjit.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:07 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what a twisted and hateful idjit.
...but a useful one

Old 12-06-2021, 06:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I don't understand her premise.

She thinks her little library has caused wealthy white people to move in and displace her long time neighbors?

(I can't access the article; I've worn out my welcome to their free content).

How is that different from, if she had planted pretty roses and the white neighbors walking by stopped and smelled them?

(On the other hand, I kind of do understand the sense of "this is mine, not yours" and it would be disingenuous to say white people don't feel that same way, and don't flee when their neighborhoods become more than just a smattering of people of color).

Old 12-06-2021, 06:31 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
She is exactly what she claims to hate.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:34 PM

4,512 posts, read 1,864,826 times
All she had to do was hang a sign on it that said “NO WHITES”

Easy peasy

Old 12-06-2021, 07:55 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

She thinks her little library has caused wealthy white people to move in and displace her long time neighbors?

How is that different from, if she had planted pretty roses and the white neighbors walking by stopped and smelled them?

(On the other hand, I kind of do understand the sense of "this is mine, not yours" and it would be disingenuous to say white people don't feel that same way, and don't flee when their neighborhoods become more than just a smattering of people of color).
You missed the point entirely. She wanted a "black space" that wouldn't be invaded by white people. And when she recognized her own racism when the couple was looking at her books, it caused a bit of dissonance because she not only perceived her own racial hypocrisy, but she felt justified in feeling that way. Bit of a double standard, don't you think?

Old 12-06-2021, 08:02 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:

Seems like she hates white people so the idea that white people would borrow from the free books bin she put in front of her house invoked that response.

It's kind of like if a white person had a restaurant and a colored came in and sat down. Being as they hated black people, their first, honest response would be that they hate coloreds and how DARE they be in my restaurant enjoying themselves. The next immediate thought, however, might be that hatred of coloreds isn't an okay thing to do anymore and, jimminey crickets, I'm a racist piece of trash. It wouldn't be any different for roses or anthing else. The idea that a white person might enjoy something she did in her self-perceived coloreds-only oasis is just not something she can accept in exactly the same way that for many white people that used to be something they could not accept coloreds enjoying.

Takes some balls to write an op-ed about it though. Particulalry when the second realiziation isn't so much jee, I'm racist as did I encourage those whites by planting free library or a pretty rose bush.

Last edited by Malloric; 12-06-2021 at 08:16 PM..

Old 12-06-2021, 08:06 PM

6,671 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:

Nobody gonna move into a neighborhood because they saw that people put little libraries on their lawns

Though that would be a very white thing to do j/k

Last edited by naicha; 12-06-2021 at 08:44 PM..

Old 12-06-2021, 08:06 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Seems like she hates white people so the idea that white people would borrow from the free books bin she put in front of her house invoked that response.

It's kind of like if a white person had a restaurant and a colored came in and sat down. Being as they hated black people, their first, honest response would be that they hate coloreds and how do they be in their restaurant. The next immediate thought, however, might be that hatred of coloreds isn't an okay thing to do anymore and, jimminey crickets, I'm a racist piece of trash. It wouldn't be any different than roses or anthing else. The idea that a white person might enjoy her self-perceived coloreds-only oasis is just not something she can accept in exactly the same way that for many white people that used to be something they could not accept coloreds enjoying.

Takes some balls to write an op-ed about it though.
great summary. hopefully clara gets it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies