Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 11:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Why do we keep saying "mentally unstable"? That's giving them a pass. Mentally unstable people go to a hospital not jail. At least here in NY.
But in Oklahoma, mentally unstable people have to go to jail, not a nuthouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 11:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It is scary the way people are jumping on the bandwagon to charge the parents. IMO the only way they should be charged is if they actually knew of his plans to commit the crime and they did nothing about it. There is no evidence that they knew his plans before hand to do this but there is evidence that once they heard about the shooting that they worried their kid could be the shooter. Since all the facts are not out I will reserve judgment on that. Is there a Michigan law that requires guns to be locked up? Is it illegal in Michigan for a minor to have access to household guns? If the answer is no then they should not be charged. I bet these parents get off. I bet we find out the actual case against them is weak.

The precedent of charging these parents for their kids crime is a terrible one. Millions of rural households have guns readily available. Are all these people going to be made criminals? These parents seem to be of not the best quality but that does not mean they are legally responsible for a crime their son committed when he was away from them. The person responsible for these killings is the young man who did it. Not his parents, not the school, not the gun or anyone else. He is the killer. He is solely responsible for his actions.
Then you might as well strongly support kids you shoot other kids dead should be subject to life in prison. If it really happens, it will make other kids think twice before going to school with a gun with the intent to shoot people dead.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:35 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,556,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Do you think that kid gives a damn how much "shame" is going to be on his family? A sociopath does not care. Neither does a mass murderer. The kid is sick in the head--end of story.
Is it not a parent's responsibility to ensure the wellbeing of their child? What actions did they take when concerns were raised?

Old 12-06-2021, 07:38 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Is it not a parent's responsibility to ensure the wellbeing of their child? What actions did they take when concerns were raised?
They gave him a gun.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:34 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
They knew he had dark thoughts and chose to bring a gun into the house. They contributed to the shooting and need to be charged as accessory to it. Period

Old 12-06-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
They knew he had dark thoughts and chose to bring a gun into the house. They contributed to the shooting and need to be charged as accessory to it. Period
Agreed.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:51 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Agreed. If I give my friend my gun and some ammo after he tells me he wants to go settle a score am i culpable ?

Old 12-07-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Agreed. If I give my friend my gun and some ammo after he tells me he wants to go settle a score am i culpable ?
I actually loaned a friend a gun once. An old WWII era Czech made .32 my old man brought back from the war. My friend was living in a rough neighborhood and wanted it for self-defense. But after a couple of weeks I got uneasy about it and took it back. My friend is a good guy and would never misuse it intentionally but mistakes happen. And thefts. I wouldn't want it on my conscience if something bad happened with that gun.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:52 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I actually loaned a friend a gun once. An old WWII era Czech made .32 my old man brought back from the war. My friend was living in a rough neighborhood and wanted it for self-defense. But after a couple of weeks I got uneasy about it and took it back. My friend is a good guy and would never misuse it intentionally but mistakes happen. And thefts. I wouldn't want it on my conscience if something bad happened with that gun.
Exactly. And the first thing that would have happened if he used it on somebody ... Detectives "where did you get the gun"?

Old 12-07-2021, 08:01 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
So the parents hire a high priced lawyer while their son gets one appointed to him by the court? I hope they all rot in prison

Accused Michigan school shooter gets court-appointed lawyer, his parents hire legal team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies