Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 05:48 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,400,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Knowing full well that it cannot escape from the facts, the Left has taken to distorting reality. Many, including the head of the second-largest teachers union, have tried to claim CRT is not being taught in public schools at all.

“Let’s be clear: Critical race theory is not taught in elementary schools or high schools. It’s a method of examination taught in law school and college that helps analyze whether systemic racism exists,” Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, said during a conference just days after the NEA passed its agenda item endorsing CRT.

This is a lie. CRT left the universities long ago and has been infiltrating the culture ever since, manifesting itself in corporate diversity and equity seminars, political activist groups such as Black Lives Matter, and now in school curricula. The book, Not My Idea, for example, adapted the idea that “whiteness” is a form of “stolen land and riches” from an original CRT legal text written by Cheryl Harris in 1993, as Rufo pointed out .

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...public-schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 06:01 PM

18,131 posts, read 15,531,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Thanks. I keep posting that and no one else listens.
Odlly that story was given as a class assignment in middle school by one of the most leftist teachers I had. He saw the government described in the story as right wing. I saw it as a leftist system and made no bones about that in my written report on it and also brought it up in the class discussion. Oh my did he pitch a fit. Told me that I obviously didn't see the point of and the moral to the story. Round and round we went.

The rest of the class was terribly amused and nobody else raised their hand to comment. They were quite content to let the teacher (or "educator" as he preferred to be called) and I just duke it out. We didn't like each other anyway and that pretty much clinched it. I barely passed the two classes I had him for, English and Literature. not because I didn't do the work or didn't understand the subject matter, but because I disagreed with what HE thought needed to be taken away from the assignments.

Oddly when I had his wife for the same subjects in high school she and I got along great. She was more about individual creativity and expression whereas he was a group think sort all about conformity to dictated standards. But it was conservatism that was the enemy in his eyes and since I came from a conservative background and refused to conform to someone else's ideals (his ideals) and since I believed in individual achievement with collectivism at second fiddle he wasn't about to give me high marks in his class.

And it was Harrison Bergeron that brought it to a head.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:40 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 19 days ago)

34,502 posts, read 16,591,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Odlly that story was given as a class assignment in middle school by one of the most leftist teachers I had. He saw the government described in the story as right wing. I saw it as a leftist system and made no bones about that in my written report on it and also brought it up in the class discussion. Oh my did he pitch a fit. Told me that I obviously didn't see the point of and the moral to the story. Round and round we went.

The rest of the class was terribly amused and nobody else raised their hand to comment. They were quite content to let the teacher (or "educator" as he preferred to be called) and I just duke it out. We didn't like each other anyway and that pretty much clinched it. I barely passed the two classes I had him for, English and Literature. not because I didn't do the work or didn't understand the subject matter, but because I disagreed with what HE thought needed to be taken away from the assignments.

Oddly when I had his wife for the same subjects in high school she and I got along great. She was more about individual creativity and expression whereas he was a group think sort all about conformity to dictated standards. But it was conservatism that was the enemy in his eyes and since I came from a conservative background and refused to conform to someone else's ideals (his ideals) and since I believed in individual achievement with collectivism at second fiddle he wasn't about to give me high marks in his class.

And it was Harrison Bergeron that brought it to a head.
I had always considered Vonnegut to be left-leaning, even in those days and found the story a bit odd for him to write. I sort of see where the husband teacher was coming from but agree that your point had merit. I had other teachers punish me for different things, in one situation because my teacher, Judy and my Dad had a "failure to communicate." Here goes.

I didn't get into the American History AP course and could never understand why. A few days before the scheduled June 1975 AP exam, my mother said, offhand, "jbgusa, why don't you take the AP exam (for American history)?" I said "why waste the $50?" My mother said "just do it." I swear, to my recollection, I didn't do one lick of studying.

Fast forward to one humid night in July 1975, when I was at a summer band concert led by my high school band teacher. One of my high school history teachers and history department chair, "Eric" pulls me aside during intermission and said "we have something to discuss." I wondered what that could be since I had my diploma. He said "you got a '5' on the AP exam, but please, for me, don't make too big a deal about it." I asked my mother what that strangely worded congratulations meant and she said "oh, I think he referred tot he fact that Judy (my 10th grade European History teacher) blackballed my getting into the AP course."

She explained that Judy and my now-deceased father (died January 1973) had a rancorous argument at "Open House" in November 1972 and that she was retaliating for my father's "belligerence." Now my father rarely picked a fight in which he was not justified. I assume that Judy was discussing some extraneous and now ancient matters relating not to the 1972-3 academic year but a prior year where she was the homeroom teacher. "Eric" presumably didn't want the matter showing up in the _____ Inquirer, the local paper. I was glad to oblige, since even then I was not in the unproductive habit of burning bridges behind me.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:34 PM

1,786 posts, read 600,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It has nothing to do with CRT.

I love studying the civil war, however, the enemy of the state shouldn’t have monuments in the first place. Even General Lee would agree with that.

Nor do any of these statues coming down matter in history.

And CRT isn’t being taught in k-12. Y’all are just using that as a catch all to whine about anything you find objectionable race related like systemic inequality, bias, or white privilege. Likely the root of this is a tinge of racism you hide most of the time but it’s trying to get out.
Then the teachers should have no problems opening up their curriculum for examination and make the parents red faced, right? Instead, it is the teachers who are red faced angry enough to call in the FBI. Did you catch the latest news that the National School Boards Association is short its dues and memberships since this 'no CRT in K-12' has been exposed?

Old 12-12-2021, 09:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,749,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Then the teachers should have no problems opening up their curriculum for examination and make the parents red faced, right? Instead, it is the teachers who are red faced angry enough to call in the FBI. Did you catch the latest news that the National School Boards Association is short its dues and memberships since this 'no CRT in K-12' has been exposed?
I've already talked about that and that was due to assaults and threats of violence against educators as well as doxing, you refuse to acknowledge the truth. No use arguing to this blatantly biased poster.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:24 PM

9,254 posts, read 5,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
CRT is a decades old academic concept. The core idea is that race is a social construct, and that racism is not just a product of individual bias/prejudice, but can be something embedded in legal systems and policies. Why would anyone not want that to be something we explore from an academic perspective?

90% of people who are anti-CRT have no clue what it is beyond misinformation fed by certain media outlets.
High school or college, maybe. A big maybe.....but not in elementary school.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:02 AM

1,786 posts, read 600,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I've already talked about that and that was due to assaults and threats of violence against educators as well as doxing, you refuse to acknowledge the truth. No use arguing to this blatantly biased poster.
When you insisted that Critical Race Theory is not taught in K-12, you essentially said there is a mass hallucination by adults and children across the US.

So again, if CRT is not taught guerrilla style, then the moment the request to open up the curriculum, teachers and school boards should have responded. The anger that we see today came from resistance vis-a-vis Terry McAuliffe "I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach." Am not saying the anger came after what McAuliffe said. The anger was already there and McAuliffe simply pushed the parents over the edge and the result was Youngkin (R).

Am not here to change your mind but to present to the silent readers out there perspectives maybe they never seen before. I am Asian, a refugee from communism, and is critical of the American public education system. Then those silent observers of this conversation are reminded of how Asians are discriminated against in universities and how school standards are either watered down or even abolished in that same public education system. While you deny that CRT exists in K-12.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:53 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The bolded is funny considering the last 4 years...

1. Consideration for school enrollment should be based on income not race these days but how many schools have dragged their heels on enrolling based on ability vs ones race...

2. Great talking point, is their a valid source to support it?

3. It is well documented how black farmers were discriminated in receiving loans, aid, assistance and tactics continue to this day.https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/hi...to-get-support

4. Are they needed seeing they represent the majority?

5. Don't listen to them , the same with the Neanderthals on the other side. Freedom of speech applies to all even when you don't like the message. If they cross the line on truth feel free to sue them for slander...

6. Hate crimes are broader than you show but it those high profile cases that make the news. Bring back the show Cops they always show trash of all kinds getting busted.

7.Maybe we need a quota in professional sports why don't you suggest that...

I'm not familiar with medical program but as I responded in #1, I believe that consideration should be based on income and not race at this point. You don't mention if the EOP program provided financial assistance. I do remember their was a free medical school program that was available to all and you are obligated to serve so many years in an underserved community after that.

Its very nice to say with a broad brush stroke how everything is even and fair in 2021 but the reality in so many cases, its not. Not just racially but by sex too, why are woman being paid less overall for the same job, if their capable to do it. Shouldn't the compensation be the same? its not and the same could still be said with hiring practices for minorities but we can only work to achieve it.
Everything is not "even and fair". Life is not even and fair. That's reality. Some people are smart, some people are handy, some people are pretty. What is "even and fair" is opportunity. The fact that there are folks out there squandering that opportunity, and instead decide to become a permanent victim, is not the problem of those that took that opportunity.

As for women being paid less for the same job - you obviously have no idea how the world works. It's a complicated issue, but one that has ZERO to do with equal pay for equal work, and everything to do with the choices women make with their careers.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:01 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Eh, no. There is a lot that is socio-economic but it is shown that whites who are born in the lowest quintile can rise up at about a 4 out of 5 chance with a near even distribution, while statistically African-Americans only have a 2 out of 5 chance with most staying in the lowest or crossing into the second-lowest.

The fact is, I think many who are alcoholic, baseheads, meth-heads, etc. are typically traumatized especially as a kid. Maybe their parents used. Maybe their parent abused the other and the child. Maybe a parent was incarcerated. There are a lot of possibilities but traumatized children often are less resilient sadly. The more traumatized a child is, the less resilient they will be. If a traumatized child is born poor, they will likely stay poor, even if they try their hardest to not do drugs or stay out of legal trouble.

So I do agree that lower-income lowest quintile people have the hardest chance of moving up, but there is a racial component to it. Why that is whether it is trauma, a single parent or outright racism, is beyond me.
I'm glad you mentioned the racial component in the equation. Often blacks that do strive to rise out of poverty are vilified by their family, friends and community, called "Uncle Toms" or worse. That's part of the equation very few talk about.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:04 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 19 days ago)

34,502 posts, read 16,591,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm glad you mentioned the racial component in the equation. Often blacks that do strive to rise out of poverty are vilified by their family, friends and community, called "Uncle Toms" or worse. That's part of the equation very few talk about.
Or "acting white."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies