Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2021, 09:36 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Nice! Looks like he owns a full auto M-60. I wonder if all the other firearms are class 3?
That's the first thing I spotted in what is otherwise a dumb-looking Christmas card photo. I was wondering if that was a real M-60, or maybe a non-automatic look-alike that gives the owner a macho feel and image. Likely someone who has never used an M-60 in the military, which is the only place an M-60 belongs.

When I was a Private E-2 at my first duty station in the Army 45+ years ago, my squad leader quickly assigned me (the new recruit) to our squad's M-60 as assistant gunner. It didn't take me long to figure out why, on the first long march we took. As assistant gunner, I carried a spare barrel (in case of overheating or damage of the primary), and a bunch of (heavy!) boxes containing M13 100-linked-round cloth bandoliers. I also carried my own M-16. Another new recruit carried more M13 bandoliers and a tripod for the M60.

The M-60 is a heavy weapon. It weighs 23 pounds, about 10 kg without ammo (7.62 mm). Its nickname was the Pig, and it was typically fired in a stationary position when mounted on the built in bipod or the auxiliary tripod. It is not meant for fun or sport or hunting - it is a powerful killing machine. When fired hand-held from a standing position, it is terribly inaccurate and hard to control. I have no idea what anyone outside of a military unit would be doing with a real M-60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 09:37 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus. Why would guns be involved. Pretty idiotic. And here I thought republicans were so religious.
Why is Santa Claus involved?

Old 12-06-2021, 09:37 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Neither have I and honestly its a little creepy to me but people dressing their little dogs up to have a picture with Santa is a little creepy to me too and last I looked we still live in a free country and if they want a creepy gun Christmas picture or a creepy Santa Christmas picture thats their business, not mine. I dont see why they should be condemned for it.
I agree. I just think it was bad timing is why they are getting all the slack

Old 12-06-2021, 09:38 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
That's the first thing I spotted in what is otherwise a dumb-looking Christmas card photo. I was wondering if that was a real M-60, or maybe a non-automatic look-alike that gives the owner a macho feel and image. Likely someone who has never used an M-60 in the military, which is the only place an M-60 belongs.

When I was a Private E-2 at my first duty station in the Army 45+ years ago, my squad leader quickly assigned me (the new recruit) to our squad's M-60 as assistant gunner. It didn't take me long to figure out why, on the first long march we took. As assistant gunner, I carried a spare barrel (in case of overheating or damage of the primary), and a bunch of (heavy!) boxes containing M13 100-linked-round cloth bandoliers. I also carried my own M-16. Another new recruit carried more M13 bandoliers and a tripod for the M60.

The M-60 is a heavy weapon. It weighs 23 pounds, about 10 kg without ammo (7.62 mm). Its nickname was the Pig, and it was typically fired in a stationary position when mounted on the built in bipod or the auxiliary tripod. It is not meant for fun or sport or hunting - it is a powerful killing machine. When fired hand-held from a standing position, it is terribly inaccurate and hard to control. I have no idea what anyone outside of a military unit would be doing with a real M-60.
So not exactly a gun for the night stand.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:45 AM

5,982 posts, read 3,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ummm...the Mother is not "pointing at her son." She's at port arms in FRONT of him. The 1928 Thompson she's holding is being held correctly. LOL< nothing like seeing no nothing antis going zerk over a family picture with firearms. What's that lefties are so fond of saying? Ya don't like it don't look.

Spirit of Christmas? The season where thieves and home invasion robbers just love to pillage during? LOL, not this home I'm thinking. Or in most of Kentucky. Sheesh. Hoplophobes. Ain't they just great entertainment value though?
Good word! You nailed it. Very appropriate to some of these comments.

Hoplophobe: (From the Urban Dictionary) "A person who is afflicted with an irrational fear of firearms."

Old 12-06-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Adults protect themselves. Children look to government
A slight revision of your comment:

"Responsible adults protect themselves. Sheep look to government."

Old 12-06-2021, 09:51 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Good word! You nailed it. Very appropriate to some of these comments.

Hoplophobe: (From the Urban Dictionary) "A person who is afflicted with an irrational fear of firearms."
The late great COL. Jeff Cooper I credit with coining that term. RIP COL. Cooper. And we are seeing hoplophobia in full plumage here.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
It's a shorter word that conveys the same information as one of several longer words I could have used. Besides the correct word depends on the use case for that LMG as you should know being a "Fire Arms enthusiast".
The last time I qualified with an M-249 SAW was a long while ago. It was belt fed but I do know there are mags available for it.

Enjoy your rant about Massey's Christmas card and treat yourself to another mocha latte.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:55 AM

1,866 posts, read 933,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
military-style rifles

Liberals don't know what "military style rifles" are.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I have never considered taking a Christmas picture with one of my guns. I have better things to do
And I've never dressed up my dog to look like a reindeer with antlers and ribbons at Christmas time, but to each his own. If you want to dress up Fido to look like Rudolph, that's YOUR business. If the congressman in the photo wants a picture of his well armed family around a Christmas tree, that's HIS business.

Oops. I see that my comment is nearly identical to the one that 2mares made. Sorry. I didn't intend to plagarize. I didn't even see it before I made my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies