Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2021, 09:33 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I would if I knew any. I'm Hispanic and I work with a Mexican national; I've never heard anyone say "Latinx" in real life.
No wonder. You don’t even know the whole dynamics of this movement. The gender equality movement is not going on among Mexicans or Hispanics themselves but among liberal Anglos.

It is fairly recent just like metoo, BLM and CRT, so if you are generally not into social media you will not see it for a few more years but it is definitely coming. All liberal movements take off fairly reliably in the western countries.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 09:35 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No wonder. You don’t even know the whole dynamics of this movement. The gender equality movement is not going on among Mexicans or Hispanics themselves but among liberal Anglos.
I know lots of liberal anglos, I've still never heard this term in person.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:37 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I mostly agree with your point. But I'm saying you rarely hear the left attacking Spain or Spaniards for anything they did after Spain was defeated by Britain and lost their power and standing in the world.

It's only when the Spanish were perceived to be "oppressors" that the left have a negative view about them or, in this case, Columbus who was sent by Spain.
There has been a movement in Latin American countries to rename monuments of the conquistadors, many countries have not to mention there isnt a columbus day there.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:46 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
If the head of Univision is talking about it, then it is happening. Like someone said before, you are in a bubble.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:49 AM

1,866 posts, read 932,849 times
I kind of prefer the Latinx, somehow they're just a little more stylish, they have a little more flavor and they stand out somewhat more too:

Old 12-06-2021, 09:52 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Other than reactionary diatribe like this thread. I have heard it at work when referring to marketing demo group consisting of young urban latinos.

Old 12-06-2021, 10:02 AM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Seems you've never heard the word spoken.
No, I haven't. Am I saying it wrong?

Old 12-06-2021, 12:36 PM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Latinx seems completely acceptable to me. We don't identify gender in most racial/cultural demographics, why should we in latina/latino people?

We use gender in latinos, and filapinos. Why? Then, when you talk about them in groups you have to go male. Why?

(frankly, I don't understand for the life of me why Spanish and other languages identify gender of objects like tables and pencils, but that's a discussion for another day).
No, you don’t understand. We use “Latino” and “Latina” because the Spanish language, like all Latin languages, is gendered. Are you suggesting that they change and conform to English usage? Isn’t that a form of linguistic imperialism?

Old 12-06-2021, 12:42 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
OK, so stop using that terminology. Sounds simple enough:

"Only 2 percent of those polled refer to themselves as Latinx, while 68 percent call themselves “Hispanic” and 21 percent favored “Latino” or “Latina” to describe their ethnic background, according to the survey from Bendixen & Amandi International, a top Democratic firm specializing in Latino outreach.

More problematic for Democrats: 40 percent said Latinx bothers or offends them to some degree and 30 percent said they would be less likely to support a politician or organization that uses the term."

"One of the founders of Univision, Joaquin Blaya, said they built the network around the concept of using the words Latino and, especially, Hispanic, because it reflected the Spanish language and united Spanish speakers from across Latin America. He said his objection to Latinx is that it’s “too weird. It’s dumb. It’s foreign. It’s not Spanish.”

“Democrats are helping Republicans make them look out of touch,” said Blaya, a registered Democrat. “We built a network around our Spanish language and we have a shared culture around it. Why are we trying to change this? It’s offensive to a lot of people.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hispanic-...093022950.html
What about the Filipinx? Their language is similar in that regard. Filipina for women, Filipino for men. I'm sure their are other languages out there that also do not fit comfortably into the gender insanity of the trans language movement.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:44 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
No, you don’t understand. We use “Latino” and “Latina” because the Spanish language, like all Latin languages, is gendered. Are you suggesting that they change and conform to English usage? Isn’t that a form of linguistic imperialism?
Shut up and bend the knee to the Marxist left, or you're a bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies