Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 02:27 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Doesn't matter. People are offended.
I bet the other 60% find it stupid. That’s how I’d answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 02:35 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
I'm Hispanic and can't stand it. My preference is to be referred to as Latina. That last A holds a lot of pride for me and connects me to a long lineage of strong women. I don't appreciate my preference being overrun by others.

However, if someone is non-binary and wants to refer to themselves as Latinx, that's perfectly fine and I'll honor it.

But does my irritation with the term and the originators of the term mean I'll start voting for republicans?

deep breath...

Oh my... that was a good laugh...

Old 12-06-2021, 02:36 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,963,030 times
I thought it was short for latin twink.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The thing is it's not your language. Enforcing White liberal viewpoints on non White people is colonialism. If 98% of Spanish speakers are comfortable not using Latinx then you are a settler / colonizer to force that spelling down their throats
Latinx is a Political term, the Majority of Hispanics, Latins, Tejanos don’t like it at all, mainly because it is Culturally WRONG & they recognize that it is a Political term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Latinx seems completely acceptable to me. We don't identify gender in most racial/cultural demographics, why should we in latina/latino people?
It probably is “acceptable” to Leftists that came up with this Basket to toss all Hispanics/Latinos into, doesn’t mean they like it — they are mostly too polite to say they are offended. Very polite and friendly culture.

We use gender in latinos, and filapinos. Why? Then, when you talk about them in groups you have to go male. Why?

(frankly, I don't understand for the life of me why Spanish and other languages identify gender of objects like tables and pencils, but that's a discussion for another day).
Many of us speak Spanish, many of us studied Spanish in school. We “get” it.
More than “we get it”, we understand why Leftists don’t “get it”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm listening to THEM say they want to be called that.

I call people what they want to be called. Simple as that.

Language is extremely fluid, anti. We don't have to continue using the same words and syntax when other phrases/words become more current.
You may want to broaden your knowledge base - Language is Culture. Fluid & Syntax evolve and are different between the many Country’s that speak Spanish. The core is the same, it has been for 100’s of years.

Only 2 percent of those polled refer to themselves as Latinx, while 68 percent call themselves “Hispanic” and 21 percent favored “Latino” or “Latina” to describe their ethnic background, according to the survey from Bendixen & Amandi International, a top Democratic firm specializing in Latino outreach.

More problematic for Democrats: 40 percent said Latinx bothers or offends them to some degree and 30 percent said they would be less likely to support a politician or organization that uses the term."

"One of the founders of Univision, Joaquin Blaya, said they built the network around the concept of using the words Latino and, especially, Hispanic, because it reflected the Spanish language and united Spanish speakers from across Latin America. He said his objection to Latinx is that it’s “too weird. It’s dumb. It’s foreign. It’s not Spanish.”

“Democrats are helping Republicans make them look out of touch,” said Blaya, a registered Democrat. “We built a network around our Spanish language and we have a shared culture around it. Why are we trying to change this? It’s offensive to a lot of people.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
No, you don’t understand. We use “Latino” and “Latina” because the Spanish language, like all Latin languages, is gendered. Are you suggesting that they change and conform to English usage? Isn’t that a form of linguistic imperialism?
There are many articles about Democrats and the Left losing Hispanic support. Calling them the culturally incorrect “Latinx” is one reason, the other is calling the Hispanics POC (people of color). Hispanics/Latins identify their Race as White, always have - always will. They have a common Language from Spain, to the Americas and in the Caribbean. That Language is SPANISH, it’s not Latin.

When a Hispanic Media Giant like Univision says Latinx is Dumb, listen to them and not Leftist Politicians and Activists. Pew recently did a study, the Texas Monthly (left leaning) did a long article, the Houston Chronicle and San Antonio newspapers have done articles. These Left leaning publications are worried because it makes Zero sense to deliberately mess with the Culture and Language of a group that is offended by terminology that Leftists Activists insist on using.

Personally — I have no problem with Leftists using the made up terminology that suits their Agenda.
It’s pretty typical for Leftists to always think they know best and to ignore what is outside their Echo Chamber.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:01 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Latinx is a Political term, the Majority of Hispanics, Latins, Tejanos don’t like it at all, mainly because it is Culturally WRONG & they recognize that it is a Political term.

You may want to broaden your knowledge base - Language is Culture. Fluid & Syntax evolve and are different between the many Country’s that speak Spanish. The core is the same, it has been for 100’s of years.

Only 2 percent of those polled refer to themselves as Latinx, while 68 percent call themselves “Hispanic” and 21 percent favored “Latino” or “Latina” to describe their ethnic background, according to the survey from Bendixen & Amandi International, a top Democratic firm specializing in Latino outreach.

More problematic for Democrats: 40 percent said Latinx bothers or offends them to some degree and 30 percent said they would be less likely to support a politician or organization that uses the term."

"One of the founders of Univision, Joaquin Blaya, said they built the network around the concept of using the words Latino and, especially, Hispanic, because it reflected the Spanish language and united Spanish speakers from across Latin America. He said his objection to Latinx is that it’s “too weird. It’s dumb. It’s foreign. It’s not Spanish.”

“Democrats are helping Republicans make them look out of touch,” said Blaya, a registered Democrat. “We built a network around our Spanish language and we have a shared culture around it. Why are we trying to change this? It’s offensive to a lot of people.”

There are many articles about Democrats and the Left losing Hispanic support. Calling them the culturally incorrect “Latinx” is one reason, the other is calling the Hispanics POC (people of color). Hispanics/Latins identify their Race as White, always have - always will. They have a common Language from Spain, to the Americas and in the Caribbean. That Language is SPANISH, it’s not Latin.

When a Hispanic Media Giant like Univision says Latinx is Dumb, listen to them and not Leftist Politicians and Activists. Pew recently did a study, the Texas Monthly (left leaning) did a long article, the Houston Chronicle and San Antonio newspapers have done articles. These Left leaning publications are worried because it makes Zero sense to deliberately mess with the Culture and Language of a group that is offended by terminology that Leftists Activists insist on using.

Personally — I have no problem with Leftists using the made up terminology that suits their Agenda.
It’s pretty typical for Leftists to always think they know best and to ignore what is outside their Echo Chamber.

You had me until the blue bolded above. That's a broad brush. Afro-latinos, and bi-racial Latinos are claiming their African roots proudly, more so than ever. And younger white Hispanics are recognizing that many of them do have African (and Mestizo) ancestry and the paleness of skin tone is irrelevant.

Check out John Leguizamo's Latin History for Morons for more. He breaks race down beautifully.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:02 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
It looks like Democrats are going to have to fight this one out among themselves and figure out what they want to call Hispanics or Latinos.

But first, they will need to gain an appreciation of the Spanish language which they claim to love.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:05 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

So you are saying that they are denying their Amerindian roots and only claiming their white ones from their Spanish ancestors? Most Hispanics in our country are Mestizos they aren't just plain ole white.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:27 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
And why are you Leftists so against gender? Nature made males and females.

Why do the Leftists need to make everything equal when nature made things unequal for a purpose?
Liberals have started to realize that in most human cultures, including non-white ones, the male is considered to be the dominant of the species.

Of course, this has turned out to be an uncomfortable truth for liberals, which is why they have to resort to mental gymnastics or various levels of cognitive dissonance to try to defend their support for those cultures.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:39 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you are saying that they are denying their Amerindian roots and only claiming their white ones from their Spanish ancestors? Most Hispanics in our country are Mestizos they aren't just plain ole white.
No it meant historically in many American states if you were "colored"/Black then the full weight of Jim Crow was applied. It was not as much denying any other DNA contributors but telling the society you were not Black so you can not send me to the other water fountain or the back of the bus.

And when America changed socially and politically the younger generations started proudly proclaiming the other than White portions of their heritage for the perceived political advantages as with Senator Elizabeth Warren got until her story was proved false.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
You had me until the blue bolded above. That's a broad brush. Afro-latinos, and bi-racial Latinos are claiming their African roots proudly, more so than ever. And younger white Hispanics are recognizing that many of them do have African (and Mestizo) ancestry and the paleness of skin tone is irrelevant.

Check out John Leguizamo's Latin History for Morons for more. He breaks race down beautifully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You both made some good points — let me explain a little further on why I said that.
Disclaimer here - I’m a born and bred Texan, born in the 1940’s. Lived in South Texas and family owns land on the Rio Grande. That’s not to say other areas of the USA identify in different ways.

We are talking 2 different things here. Culture & Race. There are also the Regional differences within the USA and what they prefer to be called based on their own Culture from family connections to a variety of Countries.
Cuba, Mexico (which is very large & different Mexican States identify differently), Central America, South America (excluding Brazil), some Caribbean Countries and the US Territory of Porto Rico ALL. Have the Spanish Language in common.

Some prefer Latino, some prefer Hispanic, some prefer American, some prefer Mexican and in Texas - many prefer Tejano, which dates back to when Texas was Tejas.

The “identify as White Race” actually began eith the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo which ended the Spanish American War in 1848. It was a condition of the Treaty that Mexican Citizens who resided north of the Rio Grande would have the same citizenship rights as US Citizens. This was during slavery, Mexico wanted to make sure that the Tejanos would be legally “white” and not Slaves.

There was later a US Supreme Court case about the right of the Hispanics to check the .Race Box on the US. Census as “white” - I believe it was in 1938, it was during the FDR Presidency and Mexico was involved in the case.

On The Census, Who Checks 'Hispanic,' Who Checks 'White,' And Why - NPR

In 1930, "Mexican" was put on the Census [questionnaire] as a race. It did not go over well. The Mexican Government claimed it violated the Treaty, LULAC brought a court case and won.

In 1929, the League of the United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), a Mexican-American organization, formed in Corpus Christi, TX. One of their main organizing efforts was to get "Mexican" off the 1930 census. They protested: we are white race, we are Americans.

The Mexican government itself protested the category, because the entire Southwest used to be part of Mexico, and when it was taken over by the United States, they promised Mexico that the Mexican residents there would be treated as full citizens. Well, at the time, you had to be white to be a citizen. So that's where the whole issue came about of Mexicans, specifically, identifying as legally white but socially not-white.

The term Hispanic first appeared in a full U.S. census in 1980 and Latino in 2000, after some in the community resisted the Hispanic label and its connection to Spain.

The vast majority (over 90%) of those who now check the “Hispanic/Latino” box for Ethnicity on a Census form, also check the “white” box for “Race” on a Census form. Mostly, they claim it’s “confusing”.
It’s often “confusing” when somebody tries to put you in a Box. I am 32% Native American, yet I never check that Box.

On a personal note - my High School in the 1960’s was about 30-40% Hispanic (a term we never heard then), they mostly called themselves Chicanos, their parents called themselves Americans. Closer to the Border, then and now- Tejanos is proudly used. It denotes many, many Generations of Texas Citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies