Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 04:40 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
We kill people for war, self-defense and babies but you have a problem in ending cold killers that can't be rehabilitated in society?
I don't think the government should kill people for any of those things either. Maybe war, if there were an existential threat to the country, i.e. something that hasn't happened in at least 70 years.

I guess if the government decided people who don't wear masks during a pandemic are cold-blooded killers, you would still be in favor of the death penalty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 04:44 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Is it cheaper to have the death penalty or life with no possibility of parole? It’s obvious that the death penalty is not an effective deterrent, so is it cheaper? If not, what’s the benefit?

Old 12-07-2021, 04:49 PM

36 posts, read 12,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I don't think the government should kill people for any of those things either. Maybe war, if there were an existential threat to the country, i.e. something that hasn't happened in at least 70 years.

I guess if the government decided people who don't wear masks during a pandemic are cold-blooded killers, you would still be in favor of the death penalty?

They won't, and if they do then I will simply be in favor of the death penalty for the government officials who are deciding that.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:52 PM

36 posts, read 12,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Is it cheaper to have the death penalty or life with no possibility of parole? It’s obvious that the death penalty is not an effective deterrent, so is it cheaper? If not, what’s the benefit?

You're asking this as if our justice system is not irredeemably broken and nonsensical as it currently stands. Or are you one of those people that believe the justice system in this country actually works?

There's no reason why the death penalty should cost more than LWOP. Letting killers sit for decades and decades before we carry out their sentence makes no sense. Yet here we are. And the death penalty is actually the only proven 100% effective deterrent, because last time I checked an executed individual can never possibly hurt anyone else again....

Old 12-07-2021, 05:13 PM

6,752 posts, read 5,054,508 times
The most heinous crimes are often committed by people with mental illness, and our system as it exists today does not prosecute these people.

In many cases it is hard, if not impossible, to have incontrovertible evidence. We live in a time where anything can be claimed to be falsified, a lie, etc. The country is in a sad state.

As a practical matter this is a small percentage of the prison population, and IMO we have bigger fish to fry at this time.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-07-2021 at 05:51 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 05:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many of those released, should never have been released. Most criminals are repeat offenders, over and over.
This is the most serious problem with life-imprisonment. Somehow convicted criminals manage to get released back into society and commit more crime. With the death penalty, there is no recidivism.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:47 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoPototto View Post
You're asking this as if our justice system is not irredeemably broken and nonsensical as it currently stands. Or are you one of those people that believe the justice system in this country actually works?

There's no reason why the death penalty should cost more than LWOP. Letting killers sit for decades and decades before we carry out their sentence makes no sense. Yet here we are. And the death penalty is actually the only proven 100% effective deterrent, because last time I checked an executed individual can never possibly hurt anyone else again....
And an innocent man wrongly convicted and swiftly executed stays very dead. Unless you think that we can go back to a time of rapid executions, which isn’t going to happen, executions will take decades and arguably cost more than life w/o parole. The problem with absolutely no death penalty though is what do you do if a convicted killer murders a guard or another inmate.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:08 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And the states that have the highest murder rates also have the biggest black populations. And as you know, black people commit 50% or more of all murders, while being around 14% of the population.
2nd reply?

Here is my question for you. Why do you think the death penalty isn't much of a deterrent for a relatively substantial number of individuals in the most murderous states in America?

Old 12-07-2021, 06:15 PM

13,447 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

Cheaper the death penalty unless you view victims and future victims like unborn babies, worthless to you liberals.

Death penalty is 100% deterrent. The M.F. won't kill again and any fool can try their footsteps and see how it ends up. Not a guard, not some poor government medical or dental employee, some public defender or some poor inmate or kill to try to escape.

You put a killer that calculated their murders especially against children and elderly and tried to get away with it that crossed the point of no return and put him life in prison in a brutal environment is like a ticking time bomb at taxpayer's expense . What is the liberal purpose here? to rehabilitate and put them back in society at taxpayers expense? or make him nice in prison and a role model in Oz until he dies of overdose or killing himself or somebody else killing him ?

Serial killers are like war criminals, we don't rehabilitate them. We put them to sleep and move on. We own it to the victims and out brave soldiers that fought in wars and never came back that paid the ultimate price are not worth less than a killer and We shouldn't lose 1 sleep over them.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:23 PM

148 posts, read 113,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
You're not the one choosing who dies, the government is. Do you trust the government that much?

There's usually a huge overlap between "I don't trust the government", "I want a smaller government", and "I hope they fry this guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post

Serial killers are like war criminals, we don't rehabilitate them. We put them to sleep and move on. We own it to the victims and out brave soldiers that fought in wars and never came back that paid the ultimate price are not worth less than a killer and We shouldn't lose 1 sleep over them.

You bring up an interesting point about war. Soldiers who have killed dozens or even hundreds of people are allowed to live among us out in society. They aren't considered dangerous but a woman who kills her abusive husband is. Why is one okay but not the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies