Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 08:31 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,814 times

Advertisements

Take them to battlefields and display them.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:32 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
You need a history lesson. First, slavery was a horrible institution. But, the south was in its rights to succeed. Belonging to the union was voluntary. They were not traitors, misguided, but not traitors.
They were indeed traitors.

They attacked U.S. soldier at a U.S. fort, and proceeded to wage war against U.S. forces.

Levying war against the nation you owe allegiance to is the very definition of treason, of being a traitor.

When he graduated from West Point, Robert E. Lee swore an oath on his honor to protect and defend the Constitution and the United States of America.

He was a traitor.

Had they just quit having anything to with the federal government, or got an amendment to the Constitution to allow them to secede, or ...

But instead, they attacked the forces of the U.S. and proceeded to wage a horrific war.

They were traitors.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:34 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Take them to battlefields and display them.
There are battlefield sites all over the place. Why aren't the statues displayed there?

Old 12-09-2021, 08:46 AM

2,004 posts, read 865,814 times
Gettysburg has statues of Robert E Lee, Another beautiful monument to the soldiers of North Carolina. And there are more om Confederate Avenue.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
The Taliban already flipped the state of VA back to a red state. If liberals can't get the extremists under control, they're gonna pay at the ballot box.
No they won’t. They will stuff the ballot box. There are no more liberals....only leftists. The leftists will make our elections about as meaningful as a soviet election. The Soviet premiers always won with a 99 percent margin of the vote.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:00 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They were indeed traitors.

Yes Democrats have been traitors for most of history of the US, even today.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:52 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,728,246 times
This is an interesting topic given that Robert E. Lee himself said not to build these monuments. And Southern historians have grappled what to do with these structures for almost a century. This first "solution" many historians purported to support was contextualizing the statues by putting up pro-Union symbols along side them. They did that in the city I grew up in and it flopped. Most of today's contemporary historians who focus on the south and the civil war now agree these monuments should be removed from the "public" square and I agree with them. They come across as glamourizing the "Lost Cause" and are too offensive to too many people. I don't agree with destroying them though....I do think they belong in museums, the myriad of battle ground national parks or cemeteries, that would put them in a strictly historical context. A history that would be wise for this country not to forget.

One of my favorite phrases from a Civil War historian pointed out that before the War the United States was referred to in the plural i.e. The United States are a collection of colonies that claimed their independence from Great Britain compared to The United States "is" a country located in N. America....so we went from an "are" to an "is".

Last edited by JohnBoy64; 12-09-2021 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-09-2021, 11:32 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
This is an interesting topic given that Robert E. Lee himself said not to build these monuments. And Southern historians have grappled what to do with these structures for almost a century. This first "solution" many historians purported to support was contextualizing the statues by putting up pro-Union symbols along side them. They did that in the city I grew up in and it flopped. Most of today's contemporary historians who focus on the south and the civil war now agree these monuments should be removed from the "public" square and I agree with them. They come across as glamourizing the "Lost Cause" and are too offensive to too many people. I don't agree with destroying them though....I do think they belong in museums, the myriad of battle ground national parks or cemeteries, that would put them in a strictly historical context. A history that would be wise for this country not to forget.

One of my favorite phrases from a Civil War historian pointed out that before the War the United States was referred to in the plural i.e. The United States are a collection of colonies that claimed their independence from Great Britain compared to The United States "is" a country located in N. America....so we went from an "are" to an "is".
My town of Lexington, Kentucky didn't destroy their statues of Confederates John C. Breckinridge and John Hunt Morgan, but they moved them from the Fayette County Courthouse to the Lexington Cemetery where both men are interred. I thought that was appropriate.

My guess on the historian you mentioned is Shelby Foote.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:16 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,728,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
My town of Lexington, Kentucky didn't destroy their statues of Confederates John C. Breckinridge and John Hunt Morgan, but they moved them from the Fayette County Courthouse to the Lexington Cemetery where both men are interred. I thought that was appropriate.

My guess on the historian you mentioned is Shelby Foote.
LOL....yep that's him. Shelby is an evolved E. Merton Coulter. Both men are a product of growing up and coming of age in the Jim Crow south, Shelby (Mississippi) Coulter (N. Carolina). Both were brilliant historians but some of the "Lost Cause" seeped into their narratives.....it deserves constructive criticism....but I don't see them as overtly racist....and I just love that quote from Foote.

I'm from Louisville so we moved our 70 ft Confederate monument in the city to Brandenburg KY 46 miles sw of Louisville....which solved nothing really. They are moving the John B Castleman monument (who served in the Confederacy and then the US Army after the war) to Cave Hill Cemetery which IMO is entirely appropriate. They should have put 70 ft Monument in Cave Hill cemetery overlooking the unknown soldier section that have both union and Confederate graves.

The best historian today I follow is Anne E Marshall, she's a Lexingtonian and absolute expert on the "Lost Cause" in the border states especially KY. She teaches at Miss. St. She strongly advocates removing Confederate Monuments from the "public" square.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:20 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
If they are removing the statues because they offend some people, then take down all the crosses because they offend some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies