Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 05:17 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's an interesting perspective.

Awhile after Beathard posted that sign on his door, the head coach demoted him to a lower coaching position, saying he didn't like the "direction of the offense". And then Beathard decided the true reason he was demoted was because of the sign.

I would guess if Beathard was knocking it out of the ballpark with a very well-coached offense, he'd still have his job.
You know nothing about football. It happened on September 2 -- two days before the first game. No one is EVER fired at that point in the season for football-related reasons.
Quote:
Combination of things. A coach who is causing dissension (and protest, and missed attendance at practice) among the players, 0and who isn't doing a bang up job anyway, got demoted.
The dissension was caused by the school putting words in his mouth and by the racism of a number of players who objected to his response to the school's wrongdoing.
Quote:
I did a quick look at their football record, and that team sucks. Going back 4 years I couldn't find a winning season although to his credit, the 2019 season was slightly less of a losing record than in previous years. So although he wasn't winning, he wasn't losing as flagrantly as in the past.
He wasn't the head coach.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 12-08-2021 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 05:25 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It was on HIS door.
You mean the door in the football team's space that belongs to the school?

Old 12-08-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
He lost his players. Kinda hard to coach when you have replaced their sign with a crudely written one of your own. The players decided to protest his sign. They weren't playing for him. The head coach, whose team it is in the first place, rightfully fired him.
The firing was flagrantly illegal. You're arguing for the "racists' veto". You can't fire a coach because he upsets the white players by starting a black quarterback. Nor can you do what happened in this case.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You mean the door in the football team's space that belongs to the school?
I mean the door to his office, which belongs to him.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I expect they knew their coach better than any of us here in this forum. They decided to protest him because he did not respect them to leave their poster alone.
It was not their poster.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You know nothing about football. It happened on September 2 -- two days before the first game. No one is EVER fired at that point in the season for football-related reasons.
The dissension was caused by the school putting words in his mouth and by the racism of a number of players who objected to his response to the school's wrongdoing.
He wasn't the head coach.
I know he wasn't the head coach. The head coach was the person who demoted him.

And they didn't fire him. They moved him down.

The players were openly disrespecting him.

You can't keep a head offensive coach when the players openly skip practices.

I don't know what happened. But I strongly doubt everything was perfect with him, and then he wrote that note on his door, and that was the sole reason he was demoted.

Football doesn't work that way. And yes, I do know a little about football politics. If he was a winning coach, he could have a headless body in his trunk and not lose his job.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:42 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
I know he wasn't the head coach. The head coach was the person who demoted him.

And they didn't fire him. They moved him down.

The players were openly disrespecting him.

You can't keep a head offensive coach when the players openly skip practices.

I don't know what happened. But I strongly doubt everything was perfect with him, and then he wrote that note on his door, and that was the sole reason he was demoted.

Football doesn't work that way. And yes, I do know a little about football politics. If he was a winning coach, he could have a headless body in his trunk and not lose his job.
Yep, right after he hurt their feelings, and if he was as bad of a coach as you’re assuming, they would’ve demoted/fired him long before…and the players don’t run the show, the coaches do, and giving into weak and entitled players over getting offended by a poster isn’t how to run a football program, and that program won’t see anything of significance success if that’s how it’s going to be run…and it’s a subpar program to begin with.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-08-2021 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
now, the dude lost his job. He'd like to get paid. He might get paid by filing and winning a lawsuit. That's how it works.

This wasn't the "government". It was his employer - the Athletic Department/University who created and approved putting these posters on doorways. It's a political statement, but it was theirs to make. He protested, and changed the sign.
The employer was the Illinois state government.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yep, right after he hurt their feelings, and if he was as bad of a coach as you’re assuming, they would’ve demoted/fired him long before…and the players don’t run the show, the coaches do, and giving into weak and entitled players over getting offended by a poster isn’t how to run a football program, and that program won’t see anything of significance success if that’s how it’s going to be run.
I said earlier it was ironic that although they always had losing seasons, the season he coached right before he was demoted was the best of their losing seasons in a long while. So I don't know that he was "such a bad coach" - I just think there were compounding reasons besides writing that note, that caused him to be demoted.

People who are excellent at their jobs rarely get fired over small grievances. In fact, management will put up with a lot from them before demoting them.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:53 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
I said earlier it was ironic that although they always had losing seasons, the season he coached right before he was demoted was the best of their losing seasons in a long while. So I don't know that he was "such a bad coach" - I just think there were compounding reasons besides writing that note, that caused him to be demoted.

People who are excellent at their jobs rarely get fired over small grievances. In fact, management will put up with a lot from them before demoting them.
Yet you have nothing to go on but assumptions.

Very true, however, wokesters are extremely sensitive as we’ve seen here with the poor entitled players that got their feelings hurt because they obviously have no interest in all lives mattering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies