Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 07:17 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossCT View Post
That's great for your kids, but your personal anecdote doesn't have the same weight as the actual data.
There's a jaw-dropping wealth gap between millennials and boomers. Besides, you can find plenty of anecdotes online even (maybe check out reddit's "Lost Generation" to use one example) of millennials struggling and unable to reach the middle class due to college debt, poor working conditions, and the cost of housing.
This is largely due to the fact that millennials either graduated into the talent pool of the great recession or were working a year or two in that. Then when finally they get somewhat out of that, we get COVID and all that came from that. On top of this, a lot of us have student loan debt because we needed to go to college... And mind you, it wasn't exactly a partisan issue like people on the forum make it out to be. At least not when I was growing up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 04:03 PM

4,026 posts, read 4,434,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is largely due to the fact that millennials either graduated into the talent pool of the great recession or were working a year or two in that. Then when finally they get somewhat out of that, we get COVID and all that came from that. On top of this, a lot of us have student loan debt because we needed to go to college... And mind you, it wasn't exactly a partisan issue like people on the forum make it out to be. At least not when I was growing up...

Yes, those who came of working age around the 08 recession were especially screwed, and next year's big crash will screw over zoomers even harder. However, boomers are foolish for investing all their retirement savings into the stock market, which will likely crash next year.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:04 PM

4,026 posts, read 4,434,721 times
Quote:
I never understood the anti-millennial animus some boomers have. It seemed to become a fashionable trend ever since millennials came of age. Lets just assume its true that millennials are "whiners" and "snowflakes." Is it still a good thing that they are relatively immiserated, and indebted, and that future generations are worse off than baby boomers?

They were largely raised by boomers, so if they've largely failed to become healthy, independent adults, that do as well as their parents, the boomers themselves must bear a large part of the blame.

Either boomers will accuse millennials of being lazy or for the more liberal boomers it is a way to pass down White guilt to younger generations.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:59 PM

3,276 posts, read 2,105,433 times
Quote:
Yeah, millennial-bashing seems to be a long-running trend in the media. I've never really understood the charges either. For instance, I've never heard a millennial say that they want a high-paying position without working, yet this is a common claim made about them.

Many charges leveled against millennials are instances of intellectual lowbrows conflating millennials with the generation—and arguably generations—that followed them. In reality, the expanse of years that can be attributed to the functionally definitional span of years within a so-called generation has shrunk quickly over time in recent history, and largely due to changes directly and indirectly influenced by technology as well as the cultural and psychological impacts thereof. The past 40 years hasn't produced merely two generations (millennials and zoomers), but at least four, and in increasingly blurry fashion.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:18 AM

4,526 posts, read 4,076,373 times
America’s sacrificial lamb has been any generation born after the boomers. Has been for 40 years.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:26 AM

88,780 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I keep hearing this but don't see it. I have two millennial kids doing very well, that have bought houses and new cars in this expensive area
My two millennial kids are also doing very well. As with the boomers who did well during the Carter years and the aftermath, a lot depends on their chosen field.

The joke back then was that Liberal Arts majors ended up flipping burgers and hawking, "would you like fries with that?" Same is true now with the younger generation except they now also have $50,000+ in student loan debt.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:40 AM

34,178 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I keep hearing this but don't see it. I have two millennial kids doing very well, that have bought houses and new cars in this expensive area, and the others that we know are doing better in many cases than their boomer parents.

I'm a manager and have 4 white millennial employees ages 26-34, all seem to be doing just fine with their salaries from $65-90k, and great benefits. In the last few years 3 of them have had a promotion.
So basing your hypothesis on a RIDICOULOUSLY SMALL sample size just shows ignorance and wanting to believe your bias.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:42 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,916,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So basing your hypothesis on a RIDICOULOUSLY SMALL sample size just shows ignorance and wanting to believe your bias.
Who do you believe? Some guy on the internet named Robert Stark?

Old 12-23-2021, 05:48 AM

41,878 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Quote:
Yes, but how much was their starting pay, adjusted for inflation? An unskilled job would allow a boomer to buy a house, own a car, and raise a family. Outsourcing wasn't a thing and corporations offered things like pensions, which ensured loyalty.
$4/hour, no benefits, no pension, with a college degree. That was my first job after college, in 1981. I owned a car, but couldn't afford an apartment until that position was eliminated to preserve the corporate bottom line and I got another job that paid $4.55/hour. Which was eliminated 18 months later to preserve the corporate bottom line.

Quote:
I never understood the anti-millennial animus some boomers have.
Meh. Our parents complained about us. Millennials will have their turn.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:53 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,767,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
One thing that I will say is that today's workers, I guess that would be Millennials and Gen Z, would go home crying every day after work if we Boomers gave them half the **** the unadulterated pricks that were our bosses, who were from the Greatest Generation, gave us.
No kidding. Today’s managers are ***** cats compared to those in the 70s and 80s. I’d be rich if I’d had the option to sue for stuff said/done back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies