Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 10:05 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,351,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Nutella beignet (typical pastry eaten in France for breakfast) is 20gs Carbs (simple sugars mostly) and 10g fat (mostly saturated) and 2g protein.

That's like saying the egg Mcmuffin is the American diet. You also might want to note that the modern French don't eat their traditional diet so much lately, and they are getting fatter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 10:12 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
The French and Japanese also live in towns and cities that are built around walking. Sure, they may have cars, but they also have ample buses and trains, as well as sidewalks and towns that are designed around people rather than cars.

The average American has to plan time to get their 10,000 steps a day. I was always lucky in that regard because I work on a campus where the parking lot is a 10 minute walk from my office. I only had to walk a few extra laps of the building to get my daily movement goals met. Then the pandemic hit, we moved to working remotely, and almost every step was something conscious and added to my day. I can and do walk to one grocery store within a mile, but there's no public transit, limited sidewalks, and you really need a car for most things.

It's no surprise that people who live in urban areas tend to be slimmer than people who live in rural areas. Even if they're eating the same diet, the amount of walking just built into your average day makes a big difference!

Old 12-09-2021, 10:20 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,351,786 times
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...-low-carb-diet

When on the low-fat diet, the participants ate 550 to 700 fewer calories per day than when on the low-carb diet. Despite the large differences in calorie intake, they reported no differences in hunger, enjoyment of meals, or fullness between the two diets.
People lost weight on both diets, but only the low-fat diet led to a significant loss of body fat. The low-fat diet resulted in higher blood glucose and insulin levels compared with the low-carb diet. This is a concern because variable glucose levels can be a risk factor for coronary artery disease.

Pretty much any study , anywhere....

To distinguish between calorie restriction diets, which by and large cause one to be to remain hungry which is why they must be counted. .

Now where would upper paleolithic hunter gatherers find mixed macro diets I wonder? They wouldn't. Our more immediate ancestors might find this diet in the late summer and fall.

I eat wild food as a hobby. There are few single sources except for perhaps the hack, or sugar berry, However its clearly under the selective pressure of birds that eat the sugary pulp and to not eat the interior nut. Survival based living does not involve running around for side dishes.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 12-09-2021 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-09-2021, 10:30 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I don't know where you guys are living that the kids aren't outside riding bikes, playing sports (not so much pick up games any longer since they've been trained to be in organized by someone else activities), here they go to the beach.

I will say that many of my students in an adjoining County to where I live didn't spend much time outside, but most places kids are out and doing things.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:44 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know where you guys are living that the kids aren't outside riding bikes, playing sports (not so much pick up games any longer since they've been trained to be in organized by someone else activities), here they go to the beach.

I will say that many of my students in an adjoining County to where I live didn't spend much time outside, but most places kids are out and doing things.

Personally, I live in a really big apartment complex (about 30 buildings with 34 1-2 bed apartments in each). We don't have a playground, but there are *always* kids outside riding bikes, playing tag, going to the pool when it's open, and playing at the tennis courts. The playground and beach down the street are probably too far to walk, but parents bring them all the time.

What I do notice is that when the bus comes to pick up kids to go to school, parents bring them by car to sit at the entrance of the complex. It's no more than a 5 minute walk from the furthest building to the entrance, and yet we have parents block the entrance completely waiting for the bus.

I don't have kids in school so I don't know what the situation is for walking to school. 20 years ago, I got in trouble because the other kids in my neighborhood and I walked a mile to our middle school because the bus was so late for over a month that we were routinely missing part of first period. We were told we weren't allowed to walk. I wonder if that's even more common now? I certainly see lines of parents waiting to pick up kids from school that seem to be growing every year!

Old 12-09-2021, 10:56 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
I've been cranky the last week since this self mastery process has left my dopamine system starved for the stimulation I normally give it. Giving up food is uncomfortable. It can bring on withdraw symptoms similar to quitting smoking or going too long without sex. It takes practice.

It's easier to give into cravings and thus have a society of overweight people.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:09 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That's like saying the egg Mcmuffin is the American diet. You also might want to note that the modern French don't eat their traditional diet so much lately, and they are getting fatter.
The entire world is getting fatter, because food is cheaper, more abundant, and people are less active.

However, the French eat a lot of pastries with this ratio. There is a pastry shop on every corner selling these sugary/buttery pastries.

The difference is amount. French people eat a lot less than Americans, and the BMI of the French is roughly where Americans were in the 70s or 80s.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:12 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
So is the French diet. The French probably eat more sugary foods than Americans by my experience. They maintain their weight by not overeating.

For those wanting to lose weight, sometimes Keto works because after a few days, Insulin stabilizes. But you can lose weight eating sugars too, it's all calories at the end of the day.
For losing weight, gotta kick the carbs and sugars. Aside from the physiological effects of fat burning and insulin control, you also have to reduce appetite/hunger, which sugar and carbs feed.

I knew a prominent cardiologist who refused/kicked patients out of his practice if they refused low-carb diets. His practice included dietitians as well as a diet support group, so he literally gave them all the tools needed. His goal was to get his patients out of diabetes (since most cardiac patients are also diabetic) as well as improve cardio health. He was a fantastic doctor who truly supported his patients. This was 15+ years ago, before the keto craze.

random aside: When a relative was in cardiac rehab, he told me to get him out of the rehab facility. He said cardiac patients at home do much better than those at rehab, that basically rehab was a precursor to hospice. To give them a shot at recovery they needed to be home. Interesting and intelligent man.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:23 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
For losing weight, gotta kick the carbs and sugars. Aside from the physiological effects of fat burning and insulin control, you also have to reduce appetite/hunger, which sugar and carbs feed.

I knew a prominent cardiologist who refused/kicked patients out of his practice if they refused low-carb diets. His practice included dietitians as well as a diet support group, so he literally gave them all the tools needed. His goal was to get his patients out of diabetes (since most cardiac patients are also diabetic) as well as improve cardio health. He was a fantastic doctor who truly supported his patients. This was 15+ years ago, before the keto craze.

random aside: When a relative was in cardiac rehab, he told me to get him out of the rehab facility. He said cardiac patients at home do much better than those at rehab, that basically rehab was a precursor to hospice. To give them a shot at recovery they needed to be home. Interesting and intelligent man.
I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s when modern wisdom was you needed to cut out fats to be lean.

In my gym there were all sorts of body builders who ate hardly any fat -> just sugars and protein. They were incredibly lean, but had other health problems.

I'm very lean, but I do eat a balanced diet with some sugar. I do control when I eat sugar, it's always before my primary workout.

The biggest thing is calories. You can cut out all the sugar you want, but if you're overeating you're overeating.

We have fat pets now (fat dogs etc). And the issue is same, owners feed them more than they should.

I do believe cutting out sugars/KETO diet can work in the short term, but it's not the only path to weight loss, and it may not work for everyone. One of my good friends in Miami Beach is a lieutenant in the MBPD. He's obese, but he's on KETO and been on KETO for years.

I go with dinner with him, he'll order a salad, salmon steak, and then a plate of cheese curds (fried cheese). Technically, he's KETO by his macros, but just the cheese curds alone have over 1000 calories (I checked the menu and told him).

Old 12-09-2021, 11:35 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Lots of contributing factors to consider. Just to list a few:

1) Vast majority sit for hours every day just looking at computer devices (gaming, social media, etc.)
2) There is so much junk food readily available everywhere, one example is 7-11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies