Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 03:49 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I can't stand Trudeau, but no one is in the streets protesting. Proud Boy types don't count. But the fact is no matter what measure you want to take, economic freedom, human rights or any other metric, Canada always is in the top 5-7, and the USA always around 17. You are not as free as you think you are. Right to own guns is not a metric anyone cares about outside of the USA. I have many guns, which is a privilege not a right, but I do not feel threatened, nor do I feel I need one to "protect myself".

Freedom of speech? I have it no different than an American has. I speak out against my federal or provincial government often. In fact, I am meeting with a minister of the crown next week (via Zoom) on an issue with an organization I belong to, and they will hear my perspective unfiltered.

You missed the main point of my post which was,
"They have a right to believe whatever they want, but why bother putting another country down as a keyboard warrior ubiquitously. I have seen your posts."

Riiiiggghhhttt. Your country is all for free speech. I'm not impressed about your meeting with a minister. It's no different from Americans calling a congressperson. Big deal.

Here is Canada's "free speech" Act. lol.....I'm done here.

Criminal Code

Amendments to the Act

2 (1) Subsection 319(7) of the Act is amended by adding the following in alphabetical order:

hatred means the emotion that involves detestation or vilification and that is stronger than dislike or disdain; (haine)

(2) Section 319 of the Act is amended by adding the following after subsection (7):

Exclusions

(8) For greater certainty, the communication of a statement does not incite or promote hatred, for the purposes of this section, solely because it discredits, humiliates, hurts or offends.

3 The Act is amended by adding the following after section 810.*011:

Fear of hate propaganda offence or hate crime

810.*012 (1) A person may, with the Attorney General’s consent, lay an information before a provincial court judge if the person fears on reasonable grounds that another person will commit
(a) an offence under section 318 or subsection 319(1) or (2);

(b) an offence under subsection 430(4.*1); or

(c) an offence motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other similar factor.

https://parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43.../first-reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 06:23 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,634,161 times
This is not going to happen because of all the money in premiums the insurance companies would lose.

Heck, I will opt out of my current employer subsidized insurance if this is what it comes to. I have a freakin $5500 deductible anyway, ha ha ha. Big freaking loss.

You're almost better off to be on the welfare system and getting Medicaid. No such requirement for them, am I right?

I will definitely forfeit my insurance rather than be forced to accept something into my body that more and more each day, I realize, I do NOT WANT.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:25 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
"Illinois Lawmaker Wants To Strip Insurance From Unvaxxed:

Some politicians should also be stripped.....then tarred and feathered.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:36 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
You missed the main point of my post which was,
"They have a right to believe whatever they want, but why bother putting another country down as a keyboard warrior ubiquitously. I have seen your posts."

Riiiiggghhhttt. Your country is all for free speech. I'm not impressed about your meeting with a minister. It's no different from Americans calling a congressperson. Big deal.
Actually, it's more like meeting a Secretary of a Department, a member of cabinet. Not just a representative.

Quote:
Here is Canada's "free speech" Act. lol.....I'm done here.

Criminal Code

Amendments to the Act

2 (1) Subsection 319(7) of the Act is amended by adding the following in alphabetical order:

hatred means the emotion that involves detestation or vilification and that is stronger than dislike or disdain; (haine)

(2) Section 319 of the Act is amended by adding the following after subsection (7):

Exclusions

(8) For greater certainty, the communication of a statement does not incite or promote hatred, for the purposes of this section, solely because it discredits, humiliates, hurts or offends.

3 The Act is amended by adding the following after section 810.*011:

Fear of hate propaganda offence or hate crime

810.*012 (1) A person may, with the Attorney General’s consent, lay an information before a provincial court judge if the person fears on reasonable grounds that another person will commit
(a) an offence under section 318 or subsection 319(1) or (2);

(b) an offence under subsection 430(4.*1); or

(c) an offence motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other similar factor.

https://parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43.../first-reading
You support the right to hate speech? I suppose you support the right to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater also? Which your SCOTUS has said you have no right of free speech to do.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Actually, it's more like meeting a Secretary of a Department, a member of cabinet. Not just a representative.

You support the right to hate speech? I suppose you support the right to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater also? Which your SCOTUS has said you have no right of free speech to do.
I wouldn't bother with that poster.

Posting just amendments without the full law gives an incorrect impression of the law.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
What about people who cannot get the vaccine or any other because they have some medical problem?
I can't get vaccines anymore but the government has been calling and texting me since September trying to get me to get them anyway. I have been putting lots of phone numbers on block. So they don't care about it. They want total compliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies