Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 12:45 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,371,401 times

Advertisements

Has experience ever been used to prove negligence?

I have not read much about the case nor the trial, but I cannot recall where anyone ever relied on experience of the accused as the evidence of negligence.

They are essentially trying to claim errors never happen by experienced people.

This is tragic, but it is an error, not all errors are criminal, and I glanced over the charges, I fail to see how she can be even charged, let alone convicted.

Seems another Rittenhouse thing, where the gov just wants to throw mud in hopes it sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 02:56 AM

14,116 posts, read 4,500,411 times
Anybody here actually believes a police officer with 26 years of service, who is eligible to retire at any time, woke up one morning and decided to shoot a black guy just because?

This is a pure accidental tragic shooting during high intensity high stress moment caused by Daunte Wright.

This kind of political witch hunt by prosecutors from all over the country is the reason why police officers are leaving the job in record number and fewer fewer people are interested in working in LE

Old 12-10-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Read both laws they charged her with can't really find how she broke the law both man slaughter charges require some kind of negligence they claim she was negligent because she spent 27 years as a police officer. That is like saying since you have been driving a car for 30 years you didn't see a motorcycle and turned lift into a motorcycle causing death your criminally negligent because you should have known due to the fact been driving for 30 years. Prosecutors have way too much power with little oversight, and little risk for charging since conviction is 85% in this country juries are just as dumb and convict.

If a grand jury had been called she would have not even been charged. This is pure political charge in fact Daunte Wright tried to drive off with an officer hanging out the door he would have been killed. Potter could have shot him and it would be justified. The prosecutor left out the fact that Wright had a warrant for a gun charge. Prosecutor said he was pulled over for an expired license plate tab and was shot for it. I can understand why crime on the rise police departments no longer have the backing of political district attorney's. Soros spent millions getting liberal DA's elected now we are seeing the damage that has been done. Getting a DA elected doesn't cost much few 100k to get the person he wanted in the office.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.20

Opening statements from court.
Agree. The biggest mistake Kim Potter made is she did not retire before 2021. She has more than 20 years and eligible to retire with a full pension before this tragic shooting in 2021.

Old 12-10-2021, 08:48 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,760,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Has experience ever been used to prove negligence?

I have not read much about the case nor the trial, but I cannot recall where anyone ever relied on experience of the accused as the evidence of negligence.

They are essentially trying to claim errors never happen by experienced people.

This is tragic, but it is an error, not all errors are criminal, and I glanced over the charges, I fail to see how she can be even charged, let alone convicted.

Seems another Rittenhouse thing, where the gov just wants to throw mud in hopes it sticks.
I think this is one of those cases, where it seems she should have known. I don't believe for a second she shot him on purpose - but would a reasonable person with her experience have made that mistake?

This is kind of like hot car deaths in kids. With rare exceptions, I believe the parents that they honestly didn't remember their child was in the car.

I believe her, that she reached for her pistol on the right, and somehow believed she was holding her taser which she always carried on the left. I believe her.

But it's one of those things that gives people pause.

Sad case.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:41 AM

77,904 posts, read 60,063,004 times
I'll let the courts sort this one out.

Clearly Daunte Wright was a POS but that's irrelevant to the case at hand.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:37 AM

18,133 posts, read 15,546,189 times
Ah Yes. soon to be Saint Daunte Wright. Will be rise to the level of Saint George Floyd? That being said I'm having a hard time with the "I though it was my Taser defense. No doubt Daunte Wright was a complete varmint as was George Floyd but neither had a summary execution on the street coming. That's not how it works though sometimes we may wish it was.

But the threat of riots and mayhem in the name of "justice" for Wright sickens me. It did with Floyd as well. Two mangy varmints now enshrined and martyred on the BLM altar and they make sure we ALL have to see that. With the help of their state media pals politicians. If Floyd and Wright had been any other skin tone but Black all that mayhem would not have happened.

It's not about equality and hasn't been for a long time. It's about special considerations. And no matter ones feelings on race it is now being said if you're White you're guilty. (sigh)

Old 12-10-2021, 10:38 AM

12,932 posts, read 7,083,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think this is one of those cases, where it seems she should have known. I don't believe for a second she shot him on purpose - but would a reasonable person with her experience have made that mistake?

This is kind of like hot car deaths in kids. With rare exceptions, I believe the parents that they honestly didn't remember their child was in the car.

I believe her, that she reached for her pistol on the right, and somehow believed she was holding her taser which she always carried on the left. I believe her.

But it's one of those things that gives people pause.

Sad case.
Even in those cases they only charge when parents are high on drugs or drunk. I haven't looked at all of them maybe there has been some charged who just made honest mistake. I know there has been some where they had lot of kids one got left behind in the car.

The odd thing when you listen to the Prosecutor talk it's like she is representing a defendant the defense is representing the police. The defense is calling police officers treating them as friendly witnesses. This sort of thing happens I guess when they prosecute police officers.

If they convict her that would mean any mistake a police officer ever makes could be criminal. Accidental killings are going to happen with police it rarely happens but it can happen. If we are going to have police officers doing their jobs we have to accept some accidental killings will happen. If suspects would comply and not cause high risk situations maybe this wouldn't happen.

I don't see a connection to the Chauvin case he had a history of excessive force using his knee on the neck and he did deliberately used excessive force with malice Floyd was under control.

I do think Potter and the police department have civil lability she should not be facing criminal charges.

Last edited by kell490; 12-10-2021 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-10-2021, 08:14 PM

2,855 posts, read 1,131,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Any money should go to the kid he shot in the head....who now needs around the clock care.
I was not referring to Dead Daunte's victim; I was referring to the son he fathered.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:58 PM

8,714 posts, read 4,965,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
I was not referring to Dead Daunte's victim; I was referring to the son he fathered.
What I am saying is any money Dead Daunte`s family recieves from lawsuits should go to the boy he shot in the head, and now is in a comatose state for life.
I hope Kim Potter walks away a free women.

Old 12-17-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud 99 View Post
Here come the fake tears...
yeah,

a 26 year police veteran, who is eligible to retire with full pension any time, woke up one morning and goes "hmm, i'm going to shoot a black guy today with little justification in broad day light so i can go to prison and throw away everything i worked so hard for the last 26 years"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies