Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 09:24 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Some states allow tax deductions for choosing private school over public.
A tax deduction isn't the same thing as a credit(IE voucher). A tax deduction reduces my taxable income, so that if I earn $100k and have $8k in school expenses, then my new taxable income is $92k. But if my effective tax-rate is say, 25%, then I only recoup the equivalent of $2k of the school expenses. For people who pay a lower effective tax-rate, you often get nothing at all.

Moreover, local schools are mostly financed through property taxes and sales taxes. Which are taxes pretty much everyone pays. And in fact, both property taxes and sales taxes tend to be regressive(poor people pay a higher proportion than rich people).

Quote:
1) Not everyone can afford to send their children to private schools. I would rather there be some taxes paid to ensure that all kids in the US have an opportunity to receive an education.

2) I’ve been to 3rd world countries where public education isn’t an option. The country’s literacy rate was like 60%.
1) A school voucher system would offer an education for everyone and would increase the overall quality of education. Ron Paul pushed for a federal credit for homeschoolers of like $500 to cover books and other supplies.

2) Before the United States was even a country, New England already had near-universal literacy. It was done mostly through the churches, because they wanted everyone to read the bible. Literacy exists everywhere literacy is valuable. So as long as being able to read is valuable, people will learn how to read, and they'll teach their children to read.

This idea that everyone would be ignorant if not for government schools is idiocy.

Quote:
Because tolls are a huge pain in the @ss.
Public roads necessarily subsidize corporations and encourage consumerism. Every environmentalist should support the privatization of roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 09:32 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Why can’t the following activities be legalized/unrestricted in the U.S.? Because freedom right?

1) Recreational drug use
2) Prostitution
3) Playing online poker for money/online gambling
4) Abortion

Because freedom, am I right?
Why stop there?

1) Man/Boy Love
2) Murder
3) Arson
4) Torture of Animals

Free country right?

Although I agree that some things would make sense, like legalization of recreational drugs, you have to have limits...

Old 12-19-2021, 09:52 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Why stop there?

1) Man/Boy Love
2) Murder
3) Arson
4) Torture of Animals

Free country right?

Although I agree that some things would make sense, like legalization of recreational drugs, you have to have limits...
Everything you mentioned hurts other people My suggestions do not (with the exception of the controversial concept of the unborn). Big difference.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
A tax deduction isn't the same thing as a credit(IE voucher). A tax deduction reduces my taxable income, so that if I earn $100k and have $8k in school expenses, then my new taxable income is $92k. But if my effective tax-rate is say, 25%, then I only recoup the equivalent of $2k of the school expenses. For people who pay a lower effective tax-rate, you often get nothing at all.

Moreover, local schools are mostly financed through property taxes and sales taxes. Which are taxes pretty much everyone pays. And in fact, both property taxes and sales taxes tend to be regressive(poor people pay a higher proportion than rich people).

1) A school voucher system would offer an education for everyone and would increase the overall quality of education. Ron Paul pushed for a federal credit for homeschoolers of like $500 to cover books and other supplies.

2) Before the United States was even a country, New England already had near-universal literacy. It was done mostly through the churches, because they wanted everyone to read the bible. Literacy exists everywhere literacy is valuable. So as long as being able to read is valuable, people will learn how to read, and they'll teach their children to read.

This idea that everyone would be ignorant if not for government schools is idiocy.

Public roads necessarily subsidize corporations and encourage consumerism. Every environmentalist should support the privatization of roads.
I’m not sure I see the benefit in school vouchers. What makes you so certain it wouldn’t cause K-12 to shoot up in price similar to what happened to universities in this country when the government started guaranteeing student loans? That would be catastrophic.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:17 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,039,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I normally agree with you on other issues but not this one. Birth control is available everywhere so there is no excuse to get pregnant in the first place especially with their high rate of success.
Quote:
Why stop there?

1) Man/Boy Love
2) Murder
3) Arson
4) Torture of Animals

Free country right?

In a free country, everyone's rights are protected equally.

Your rights end where the other person's rights begin.

No has the freedom to harm innocent people.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:12 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Why can’t the following activities be legalized/unrestricted in the U.S.? Because freedom right?

1) Recreational drug use
2) Prostitution
4) Abortion

#4 you are affecting another person so that one does not belong on the list. That baby should have civil rights at conception.

Old 12-20-2021, 12:43 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Why stop there?
1) Man/Boy Love
2) Murder
3) Arson
4) Torture of Animals

Free country right?
The OP mentioned victimless crimes, you're clearly listing crimes with victims

Marijuana, sex workers, or gambling are already legal in many countries across Europe to include Germany, Netherlands, and Switzerland. Hell, anyone can start an onlyfans account and get paid for it now.

While I do enjoy traveling to countries much more free and less religiously puritan than America, some folks don't have that luxury. If we don't evolve as a society, we will cease as a world power.

Old 12-20-2021, 04:01 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:

1) Recreational drug use
2) Prostitution
4) Abortion

None of this should ever have been illegal, since there is no crime of person or property committed. Crimes incidental to those are in a different subset.

Just because something is the law doesn't mean it is immoral, unethical, or undesirable. Laws are made these days by the 1% buying politicians who wrote legislation in their favor. As an examples, you can play a slot machine in an convenience store in Las Vergas, but you can't buy a lottery ticket. You can visit a prostitute in eight counties in Nevada at a licensed and regulated brothel, but streetwalking is still illegal.

Things do change, though., At one point it was legal for one human being to own another one in this country. Keep fighting.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:28 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Lottery, biggest, scammiest form of gambling going.

Let people fall on their own swords, they are doing it anyways. Making people criminals for doing so just makes things worse.

Old 12-20-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
#4 you are affecting another person so that one does not belong on the list. That baby should have civil rights at conception.
Agree to disagree on that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies