Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 07:38 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
is it because we invent everything, or is it something else? are there a bunch of companies founded by women and people of color that have white male CEO's? this faux argument has always baffled me.
I manage 18 people. That's not a big deal to some of you, nor does it put me in the realm of CEAnything.

But I got put here. Not because of ma what aghghgass. Rather, because my boss trusted me and only me to put up with his garbage and he thought I'd be loyal to him and blah blah blah.

But that's not why I was promoted to the Assistant Superintendent. It was because nobody else had the balls to do it but me. I didn't want to do it because I knew it would suck and it does. But the chedda, that kinda nice every 1st of the month.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:39 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Because they have the smarts and brains to do it. Women get all emotional and let the title go to their head. People of color tend to think with their hormones and that just gets everything screwed up. White males think about the money, how to make it and how to keep it going. They also know how to play the political side too. That’s just how it is. It ain’t my game. I tend to give my money away as soon as I make it.
Did you read what you wrote before you posted it?

ROFL

Old 12-10-2021, 07:48 PM

6,642 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Did you read what you wrote before you posted it?

ROFL
This thread is cursed.

Delete it

Old 12-10-2021, 07:51 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
...1 example. Europeans created wooden ships that were capable of crossing the open oceans 500+ years ago...Interesting that the continents of Asia...never built ocean worthy sailing ships...
I think I'll just leave this here, without comment:

"Between 1405 and 1433, Ming China under the rule of Zhu Di, sent out enormous armadas of ships into the Indian Ocean commanded by the eunuch admiral Zheng He. The flagship and other largest treasure junks dwarfed European ships of that century; even Christopher Columbus's flagship, the "Santa Maria," was between 1/4 and 1/5 the size of Zheng He's....The 4-decked baoshan had an estimated displacement of 20-30,000 tons, roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the displacement of modern American aircraft carriers."

Old 12-10-2021, 08:31 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
is it because we invent everything, or is it something else? are there a bunch of companies founded by women and people of color that have white male CEO's? this faux argument has always baffled me.
Because they are literate, can do Math and actually graduated from college with a degree.

Old 12-10-2021, 08:49 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
I always looked for the top doctors, dentists, surgeons in the area when I needed one. And they all turned out to be white males. Oh except one surgeon was an Asian lady, a famous surgeon in her field. But her whole demeanor, the way she talks, interacts, it's as if she's a white man trapped in an Asian woman's body.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:11 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
It's a combination of cultural expectations and skills. Put those together and white men are the "safe choice".

This is for purely management CEOs (non-founders) who take over existing organizations.

Why white men found more companies, and later lead them, is a different topic but would lean much more on the skills side than the cultural expectations side.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:14 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Read those definitions again and get back to me.

Right, not all Chevrolets are Corvettes, but all Corvettes are Chevrolets.

However, in the context of the thread, it's essentially a distinction without a difference because we are discussing a killer instinct paired with an extreme indifference for the welfare of others.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
There is scholarly debate about the actual size of the ship. It seems that the size of the ships was drastically overstated. Either way, good for the Asians that created those ships.

I'll just leave this here and you can make of it what you will:
Quote:
Xin’s main reasons for concluding that the ships could not have been this size
are listed briefly here;

he asserted that there is a natural limit to the size of a wooden ocean-going ship of
about 7,000 tons displacement. Ships of the dimensions given in the Ming shi
would have been 15,000–20,000 tons according to his calculations, and thus
would have far exceeded this limit.

even with the benefit of
modern technology it would be difficult to manufacture a wooden ship of 10,000
tons, let alone one that was 1½–2 times that size. It was only when ships began
to be built of iron in the 1860s that they could exceed 10,000 tons.

A ship of these dimensions
would also need masts that were 100 metres tall. For these, several
timbers would have to be joined together vertically. Moreover, because a single
tree trunk would not be large enough in diameter to support such a tall mast, multiple timbers would need to be combined at the base as well. According to Xin,
there is no evidence that China had the type of joining materials necessary to accomplish these tasks.

For Chinese ships to have
reached three or four times this size in just two years (from Emperor Yongle’s
accession in 1403 to the launch of the first expedition in 1405), at a time when
there was no such stimulus provided by intense naval activity, would have been
highly unlikely.
link

Old 12-10-2021, 09:49 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
so·ci·o·path
/ˈsōsēōˌpaTH/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

thug
/THəɡ/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a violent person, especially a criminal.
"he was attacked by a gang of thugs"

What is the "big difference"?
A sociopath is by definition non-violent. Some are, most aren't. They do tend to be manipulative and posses a me-first pattern of thought. A thug is, by definition, violent. I discount the opinion that most lower income African-Americans are thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies