Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 05:37 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times

Advertisements

One of the few things this state seems to be doing right. I don't see it necessarily stopping everyone from continuing this nonsense, but at least it would bring some more attention to the issue.

https://www.citywatchla.com/index.ph...imal-esa-fraud
Quote:
On January 1, 2022, a new California law goes into effect to crack down on fraudulent emotional support animals.

This includes the increasing number of falsely registered dangerous dogs (including Pit Bull breeds) labeled by owners and unscrupulous medical providers as ESAs so that landlords are forced to accommodate in multi-unit housing, and which can be taken into work sites where coworkers and even potentially customers are being threatened or attacked.

On September 16, Governor Gavin Newsom signed AB 468 into law, imposing various requirements to control emotional support animal (ESA) fraud, effective January 1, 2022.

This law was sponsored by Guide Dogs for the Blind and Canine Companions for Independence, whose well-trained service dogs provide assistance to thousands of persons with disabilities and have become some of the primary victims of attack by purported ESA and fake service dogs whose credentials were purchased on-line for an average of $80-200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 06:23 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Yeah this ESA stuff has turned to insanity. People bringing their little yappy rat dogs into doctors offices or worse as you mentioned their frigging bull breed mongrels and claiming them as "emotional support" animals. "Emotional support" my a$$!!! It's either a fully trained service dog that has an important job to do or it stays home or outside. Yeah, someone is so neurotic they can't go to the doctor or grocery store without their yappy caninus rodentius or to the 7 11 without their "emotional support" bull mongrel set of walking jaws.

And it doesn't stop at dogs. Cats, snakes, iguanas, ferrets you name it it's an "emotional support animal". Bull$h!t! Service dogs for the blind deaf and otherwise disabled that's fine. But if someone needs to hang onto an animal just to walk out their door they need to be committed somewhere. Fact of the matter is they don't NEED the animal. They just like making a show of saying they do.

Old 12-25-2021, 06:36 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Idiots and their animals.

Old 12-25-2021, 06:54 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,503,170 times
Ohh great, what am I going to do with my ESA llama?

Old 12-25-2021, 07:26 PM

7,354 posts, read 6,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
I just want to point out (because it’s funny to me) that miniature horses also count as service animals. So dogs, and miniature horses.
There is a BIG difference between an ESA and service animal though.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I just want to point out (because it’s funny to me) that miniature horses also count as service animals. So dogs, and miniature horses.
Ummm...yeah. LOL. But a miniature horse COULD be trained as an actual service animal. Not very practical and impossible to house train but still trainable. Dogs and horses are very close on the intelligence scale. But when a horse, even a miniature horse, has gotta go they will go. Wherever they happen to be. They won't hold it or ask to go outside.

LOL, road apples (albeit mini ones) in aisle 2. Clean up please.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:41 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One of the few things this state seems to be doing right. I don't see it necessarily stopping everyone from continuing this nonsense, but at least it would bring some more attention to the issue.

https://www.citywatchla.com/index.ph...imal-esa-fraud
It's trivial compared to some of the other nonsense in CA, but I do agree with the intent of the law. I work in a public building and I've seen this kind of abuse first hand. With the lack of enforcement for so many things, I'm not holding my breath that it will have any major effects.

Old 12-25-2021, 08:11 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,573,961 times
People with their Emotional Support chihuahua. If you get emotional support from the most neurotic dog on the planet, you have some serious problems.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
The miniature horses are actually used as service animals for tasks that require an animal stronger than a typical dog.
I've never seen a mini as a service animal but I have seen them as working animals. Fulling sulkies and carts and as pack animals. Not in back country applications of course. That's mule or sometimes burro turf. I could see a mini pacing oxygen equipment or some such that's well within their niche. I live on planet ranch. As it is now horses are my job. I've got a mule and a burro under my supervision as well. Two of the six horses I see to are ponies. Ones a Shetland (ornery block headed little turd) the other is just a pony. A horse with four legs abeit a dwarf. He's pretty easy going. Shetlands have a long standing tradition of being knot heads.

All the minis I've ever been around are way mellow. I can actually see them in a service animal role for disabled people. They may be small but their still a horse and do have certain abilities physically well above the most of dogs. I've seen the YouTube stuff with minis as house pets but they never show anything about house breaking and waste disposal. Just cute antics.

A full size horse or pony (not a Shetland) is not a pet. Not in my eyes. They need a job. They're to expensive to just lead and feed. They need to be working. Riding or packing. Pulling if you're into the cart scene. But I do see a niche in the service animal world for minis. They could certainly pack certain specialty life support gear and such.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:27 AM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
make you question if these people should even be out in public at all....

if they're so unstable they need some animal to ground them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies