Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 08:03 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That is 100% false. While some conservatives may donate more to charitable foundations, the legwork and handwork of charitable organizations is done by liberals.

Here's how you can know this. Go and volunteer somewhere where you're doing the actual WORK of a 501(c)3. Get up on a roof for Habitat for Humanity, mentor a child through Big Brothers/Big Sisters, take a weekly shift at your animal shelter, become a guardian ad litem for a CASA family. Take notice at a volunteer event. They're almost ALL liberals.

Get out more.
At the very least this is a more complicated topic than the simplistic and somewhat disingenuous "conservatives are more generous than liberals".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 08:04 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The only War on Christmas that ever happened was staged by Christians
Umm, okay genius - what pray-tell is a "Holiday Tree"

Old 12-13-2021, 08:08 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Only if you include religion as a charity. Otherwise, real charitable giving is dominated by the the non-religious.
It depends where the collections for that week go. If it is keeping the lights on, no. If it is the food shelter they do, yes. I may not always agree with the church due to their views or hypocrisy, but there is a number of charitable things churches and other houses of worship do. It isn't just collections that go into church infrastructure.

As for the War on Christmas, it is stupid. I am as non-practicing Catholic as you can get, and I do celebrate Christmas and do donate to causes as I see fit. The only thing I didn't do this year was an angel tree.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:11 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The war on Christmas is real. But Christmas is winning.
Just as real as Santa

Old 12-13-2021, 08:11 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I'm glad you asked.

"Holiday" is an abbreviated form of "Holy Day". The tradition of decorating trees goes back to religious practices of pre-Christian Paganism. It was adopted by the Christian church in an attempt to convert Pagans.

Thankfully, they didn't succeed.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:18 AM

The war on Christmas is in the same category with Willie Horton, CRT and Caravans. Ohh i also forgot WMDs. All a bunch of bull crap talking points designed to scare the heeebeeejeeebeez out of "traditional" Americans. I almost forgot Election Fraud.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:19 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It depends where the collections for that week go. If it is keeping the lights on, no. If it is the food shelter they do, yes. I may not always agree with the church due to their views or hypocrisy, but there is a number of charitable things churches and other houses of worship do. It isn't just collections that go into church infrastructure.

As for the War on Christmas, it is stupid. I am as non-practicing Catholic as you can get, and I do celebrate Christmas and do donate to causes as I see fit. The only thing I didn't do this year was an angel tree.
I am as heathen as you can get. But I donate a fair amount to charity every year (Shriners Hospitals for Children and my local animal shelter) and I do most of my giving around Christmas time because I like the idea of a season of giving--"peace on Earth good will toward men" sort of thing. And I find this notion of a "war on Christmas" phony, ridiculous, and dripping with self-pity.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I am as heathen as you can get. But I donate a fair amount to charity every year (Shriners Hospitals for Children and my local animal shelter) and I do most of my giving around Christmas time because I like the idea of a season of giving--"peace on Earth good will toward men" sort of thing. And I find this notion of a "war on Christmas" phony, ridiculous, and dripping with self-pity.
It's a political strategy. Anything to get the goobers riled up.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
The war on Christmas is in the same category with Willie Horton, CRT and Caravans. Ohh i also forgot WMDs. All a bunch of bull crap talking points designed to scare the heeebeeejeeebeez out of "traditional" Americans. I almost forgot Election Fraud.
To be fair, there was a serious war on Christmas back in the late 90's.

Saying "Christmas" at the Winter Holiday school party was as frowned on as dropping the F bomb.

It was only a few years, but holy cow. In central Texas, where we hardly ever get snow, the Winter Holiday party had to focus on snow. Snow men, snow flakes, snowballs. Literally, no red and green. Certainly no Jingle Bells, and you'd have been hauled out in cuffs for singing Joy to the World.

And the people who enforced this most stridently, were members of Christian churches. Unbelievably psychotic.

The pendulum has swung back, and we can all say Merry Christmas again, and elementary school Winter parties (they're still winter parties) can feature chocolates in the shape of santa claus.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:24 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
https://www.history.com/topics/chris...hristmas-trees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies