Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 05:25 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
This "Bless your heart" thing is getting out of hand on this thread.

OK, so which is closer in meaning to "Bless you heart"? "Up yours" or "Eat me"?
Neither…. It means “God must have cursed your mama because she gave birth to an idiot” or “how on God’s good Earth are you going to live being this ignorant or mean”.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:33 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Neither…. It means “God must have cursed your mama because she gave birth to an idiot” or “how on God’s good Earth are you going to live being this ignorant or mean”.
It's the original.... "Let's go Brandon".

Old 12-12-2021, 05:37 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I am originally from the north and moved down south in the 70's. At that time, very few people here (Raleigh, NC) came from other places with the exception of NY IBMers. In the years following, the migration here from the north has been massive...very few natives presently remain. Most of my client's come from the NE and complain about their taxes, weather, etc. Funny thing is they want to turn Raleigh into the same environment they complained about.....and unfortunately are becoming increasingly more successful!

People from the north are Yankees....people from the north that stay here are damn Yankees!
That’s exactly why my parents moved from Raleigh to rural Ashe County 20yr ago. Raleigh now has been completely taken over by yanks and a lot of the cool spots were torn down and replaced by boring corporate places or bougie overpriced stores.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:46 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Ah! thank you very much for translating. I sincerely appreciate it.

I haven't lived in Tennessee long enough to have earned the right to use this phrase, but at least I now know what it means for when somebody says it to me.

FWIW, I am polite by nature, annoyingly so. I hope I am a good fit for Tennessee.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:49 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
The "Yankees" aren't going to quit moving to the South until they're prohibited by law from doing so. The fact is, this is what it is. I get a bit embittered when I hear people complain about northerners (my father is a northerner. And despite having grown up in the South, I don't identify as one). At the same time, I just role my eyes.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:51 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My parents have lived in a small mountain town in rural Western NC for about 20yr. They moved there for a slower pace lifestyle. Over the past 10yr, yankees have moved in droves. What was once a quaint mountain town with polite people now has rude drivers, rude customers in stores, and of course an increase in cost of living. Almost all of my parents' neighbors are northerners and they mock my parent's southern accent and say they don't pronounce things correctly.

If my parents wanted to deal with rude yankees, they would move to New York.

I get why yankees want to move south. The housing is cheaper, taxes are lower, and the weather is better. My parents say that anyone is welcome as long as they aren't rude and can fit in. But many yankees fail at this. Just yesterday I witnessed a guy with a thick northern accent telling the cashier "you need moah cashieahs heah". They just don't understand that in the south, we aren't blunt like that and say things like "wow, y'all are really busy and I'm sad to see you have to work by yourself".

So my question is when will yankees stop moving here? Once housing costs are the same as they are up north?
Look on the bright side. Your property values go up once we bring our money down.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:59 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I am all for it, but I hate it when they bring what made them move in the first place.

There is a poster on the Florida forum that is from CT, and he complains non-stop about FL and how it should do things CT does, yet he moved from CT due to lack of employment opportunities not only there, but in the Northeast coupled with high COL.

Yet he wants FL to enact these same policies that drove him away from CT/Northeast in the first place.

Makes zero sense.
Ha! I know exactly who you are talking about! Used to read his posts just for the entertainment & the SMH factor.

I've lived in a few different areas of the country & getting ready to move again...figure the money I give Uncle Sam kinda let's me into that club. But I would never waltz into town and start telling the locals how to run the place. I'm plenty happy to be the polite newbie & be grateful for a friendly nod now and then.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:11 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Look on the bright side. Your property values go up once we bring our money down.
...and all the other shi* that comes with it.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:23 PM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yeah, as opposed to the system we have now, where we are hamsters living in cages running on wheels as ordered by corporate tyrants.
At least employers never tried to restrict us from celebrating Christmas Day with our families nor did they tell us to show proof of vaccination to eat at a restaurant or go on a cruise ship or attend a football game in Los Angeles.. If you think that this craziness is coming from businesses, think again. This has governmental overreach and interference written all over it.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:23 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
...and all the other shi* that comes with it.
Bingo…and folks think their standards are everyone’s standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies