Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 04:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times

Advertisements

In the early 1800's the wealthy southerners would escape to the north, like The Grand Union Hotel in Saratoga Springs, NY, staying at the large resorts to escape the hot summers of the south. I guess the War between the States changed everyone's attitude.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
I don't know about the Carolinas and Georgia and other parts of the South, but I can attest that the pizza in Florida is generally horrible. I don't know anyone here originally from the north who likes the pizza. And it comes up in conversation regularly, LOL. We have found one place with reasonable pizza, but when we go up north to visit family, we always make sure to get pizza at least once. I don't know what it is, maybe it is the water, but yuck, it's just not good here. At all.
Ok so the north has better pizza than we do. However they have AWFUL bbq up there and they drink iced tea without sugar......yuk. Heck a lot of northern people believe that grilling and bbq are the same thing

The food below the Mason Dixon line is better than the food up north. That is true even after we admit our pizza is not as good. Fried food just does not taste as good up north.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:35 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ok so the north has better pizza than we do. However they have AWFUL bbq up there and they drink iced tea without sugar......yuk. Heck a lot of northern people believe that grilling and bbq are the same thing

The food below the Mason Dixon line is better than the food up north. That is true even after we admit our pizza is not as good. Fried food just does not taste as good up north.
Yeah, we just aren't as heavily into fried stuff as youse guys are. And I say "youse guys" facetiously, because I know that's what you expect because all you know about NJ is what youse guys see on TV and in movies. It's no worse than "y'all".

We do better Italian and other "ethnic" food like Greek or Portuguese. But if I went to the South, I wouldn't expect to find good pizza, Italian, etc., because the South is known for fried food and barbecue and other stuff we don't have here. It would be like going to the South and being surprised to find people talk with a different accent. It's to be expected. If I went south and everyone sounded as if they came from New Jersey, it would be weird. Same with the food.

Appreciate the differences, find the commonalities. It's the only way, people.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:42 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,946 times
Feel free to move about the country.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:59 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Those are the good ones lol.

And they're a lot more common now than they were when I first moved to the South in the 90's.

Here's the thing:

Generally speaking, GOOD Italian food is pretty easy to find in the North because there's a high population of Italians.....and the recipes have e been handed down over the years.

Good Italian food is the rule.....not the exception.
So much so that when you grow up there, you kind of take it for granted.

The situation changes when you go down South though.

It's not that there isn't ANY good Italian food in the South, it's that it's just a lot harder to find than it is up North.

Poor to mediocre Italian food is the rule in the South, not the exception.
Not where I live.

The vast MAJORITY of the Italian restaurants are owned by ITALIANS from the north. And we have PLENTY.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:02 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Not where I live.

The vast MAJORITY of the Italian restaurants are owned by ITALIANS from the north. And we have PLENTY.
Same here. Like I said, there must be some magical force field around the northeast that makes Italian food so much better, even when cooked by the same person.

I do love those Jersey Italian hot dogs and have yet to see them offered down south tbh. The person who sets up a restaurant serving that down south would make a killing.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Southerners did not treat the ex-slaves as friends, neighbors or fellow humans"

You read too many books written by northerners of watch too many movies.

MANY slave owners bought BOTH the husband, which they needed, AND the wife just to keep the "family" together, etc.,etc,etc.

It costs MORE and take time to buy a new slave and teach them what you, "to learn the ropes ",want them to do.

It is much CHEAPER and less time consumed to keep the slave you have.
That poster spoke about ex-slaves.

However, how does PURCHASING husband and wife as SLAVES mean the Southerners treated them as friends., neighbors and fellow humans? They were slaves. Did those Southerners enslave their friends? No. It was all about what was advantageous to them. Easier to control the couple and easier to make more slaves. And the cost was less. Greed, control etc- sins that many of them will one day pay for.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:10 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Feel free to move about the country.
That would be nice. Personally, I generally feel free to move around the country, some places are more welcoming than others, some places not so much. My 'rule of thumb', "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" & so on. & sometimes it feels good just to 'get the heck out of Dodge'.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So I moved from the Toronto area to the burbs of Atlanta -- first north west side (Kennesaw/Acworth) and then to north east (Buford/Suwanee) and now we are in Mt. Pleasant SC (bedroom community of Charleston SC).

The weather is the biggest difference from the north.

We moved in 1997 and the diversity of cultures in Atlanta was non-existent compared to what I was use to. The culinary scene has changed and while there is still not the diversity of a New York, Chicago, Boston or Toronto-- it's getting better all the time.

Politeness...honestly have not seen it be a north/south thing or a big city/small town thing. It all depends on the folks you meet and how YOU interact with them. I can be in the nicest place in the world and if I give off attitude I will get attitude. So I try real hard to smile and be kind and that's worked even in a big city like New York.

My kids were raised in the southeast USA. One now lives in Denver and is mountain bound. He will never move east again. Those mountains are everything to him -- all year long.

The other grown kid is living in Boston. He would leave in nano second but the work he and his wife do is better appreciated in the Boston area (medical field and computer technology field).

I don't know --- I think we all find what we are looking for in our community.

For the record when we first moved to Charleston area -- it was the OHIO people invading the area...lol...now more folks from all over the northeast.

Weather has everything to do with it and low state/local taxes don't hurt either.
"So I moved from the Toronto area to the burbs of Atlanta -- first north west side (Kennesaw/Acworth) and then to north east (Buford/Suwanee) and now we are in Mt. Pleasant SC (bedroom community of Charleston SC)."

Why have you been run out of so may places? Only kidding!

" It all depends on the folks you meet"

BINGO, we have winner.

I been able to have traveled all over the country for business and leisure, and what I found was people are people no matter where you go. North South East and West.

Have met some the rudest and nicest people all over the country.

It is NOT where they are from.

Also, the closer you get to big cities the more you find "rude"'people get. The bigger the city, the ruder they get when waking the street. If you have work with the people most are just like anybody else.

The further you get AWAY from big cities the more congenial people are.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
No, the only difference is not just the water.

Lots of places in the South are on par with big pizza chains, using par baked crusts, canned sauce and completely crap cheese.

Like I said.....yes there are SOME places that are decent and getting better.

But they're still the exception.... not the rule.
"But they're still the exception.... not the rule."

NOT my experience and I have traveled all through the South.

I ALWAYS try to eat at "local" places over "chain" places.

Are you only using where you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies