Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 04:51 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm from Mississippi. The older generation from the south uses the term "yankee"
I currently, live in the South, a few people in the younger generation are still using it, particularly if they live in places like Alabama and South Carolina.

My grandparents are from Mississippi. They moved to the northern USA, and both of them stayed their for the rest of their lives.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:01 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Many on this thread are assuming northerners/Yankees are "escaping a crap hole". But, what if most of these people like where they live, but just want warmer weather, or were told their job is moving? Why wouldn't they make their new home like their old home, but with warmer weather?
I'm not sure it is assumption. I follow my state on CD. There is a steady flow of people looking to move here, many from the Northern states. They describe what they are looking for and most often why they are leaving their current state. I'm not sure if the term "crap hole" is used specifically but many are very unhappy with a lot of things happening in their state.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:38 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
I have two sets of friends who are both on the more conservative side of the coin who have/will make the move out of Seattle. One has already moved down to Florida, the other is eyeing property in South Carolina.

Both are leaving for the same reasons ie to escape toxic liberal politics.

Soon we'll all live on one side of the track or the other. Liberalville or Conservativeville. So much for unity and diversity!

So those in the South who don't like the migration of Yanks, as they say, "you ain't seen nothin' yet." This trend will continue.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:42 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
Most northern transplants to places like TX or FL are probably just economic carpetbaggers.

They came to those places not for better weather or because the culture appealed to them, but mostly because they can find a job that will allow them to afford a house and afford the lower overall COL in these places.

Pure economics....

Old 12-29-2021, 12:46 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Most northern transplants to places like TX or FL are probably just economic carpetbaggers.

They came to those places not for better weather or because the culture appealed to them, but mostly because they can find a job that will allow them to afford a house and afford the lower overall COL in these places.

Pure economics....
The reasons are many... and most find what they want and stay. For those that tried a new life and left... better to have tasted the sweetness of the south then to have never tasted it at all.

Blow us a kiss and keep the one finger salute in it's holster.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:57 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The reasons are many... and most find what they want and stay. For those that tried a new life and left... better to have tasted the sweetness of the south then to have never tasted it at all.

Blow us a kiss and keep the one finger salute in it's holster.

I don't care as long as they...

Number one: do not complain 24-7 about this place

(You have Google and could have researched the climate and culture....but you STILL moved here. stop whining)

Number two: do not try to change us

(If I wanted to live in a state where guns are limited, my house is twice as expensive and I am ruled by leftists, I would have moved to where YOU came from)

Do that and no middle finger..... LOL

Old 12-29-2021, 05:14 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post

Pure economics....
Isn't that why alot of people move? Economics? That is why many people left the South during 1910-1965 (that and an oppressive environment)?

Old 12-29-2021, 07:03 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…and those don’t like where they live or the powers that be should simply move, but I’d wager they wouldn’t be happy anywhere.

I moved from Sacramento to Knoxville and love it. I miss little about California and nothing about the politics or politicians, or regulatory environment, or laws and restrictions, or mandates, or rules and regulations, or feeling of helplessness, or having no voice and knowing that my vote hasn't counted in 25 years, or being harrassed by people who oppose my views, or having my union dues extorted to be spent on campaign donations for the opposite party than my choice, or paying 30% more for gas that gerts worse mileage, etc. I could fill a page.

You lose the wager. Pay up. I will take a blueberry doughnut.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:06 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I moved from Sacramento to Knoxville and love it. I miss little about California and nothing about the politics or politicians, or regulatory environment, or laws and restrictions, or mandates, or rules and regulations, or feeling of helplessness, or having no voice and knowing that my vote hasn't counted in 25 years, or being harrassed by people who oppose my views, or having my union dues extorted to be spent on campaign donations for the opposite party than my choice, or paying 30% more for gas that gerts worse mileage, etc. I could fill a page.

You lose the wager. Pay up. I will take a blueberry doughnut.
Lol. I wasn’t talking about you. I’m talking about folks that complain about where they live and the powers that be that can’t be pleased anywhere they go…and they don’t move anyway. They simply complain about where they live everyday.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:21 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…and those don’t like where they live or the powers that be should simply move, but I’d wager they wouldn’t be happy anywhere.
I’m about as unhappy in some ways here in Texas as I was in California, and about as much as I expect I will be when I go to NY state next year. Yeah we can go round after round on politics, but my brand of politics is neither practiced nor appreciated in any place I can think of, save perhaps for a few spots in the southwest, and then more on a personal rather than governmental basis. So yeah, you’re kinda right.

On the other hand, working as a trucker I found that most places have charms to them and that people, save for a few places here and there, are basically nice folks who want largely the same thing. Griping about whoever is moving into your town may be a matter of folks from less agreeably places having made your town a destination for some strange reason. Otherwise I kind of appreciate the fresh blood, having myself grown up in a heavily immigrant place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies