Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 01:44 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The rudest city in America, according to the survey, is New York City. It was rated rude by 34.3% of respondents, which was almost twice as much as the next highest city on the list.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rude...states-2019-12
Not surprising. NYC has had an abundance of rudeness for as long as I can remember. My office recently relocated from Times Square to Hudson Yards and what a difference.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:59 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,126 times
stop New Yorking my North Carolina.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:59 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I wish this kind of post surprised me. But it doesn't. We're all Americans and free to travel throughout the country. Even move if we won't to.
While I definitely agree with your sentiment and I don't think anyone should be shamed for moving to a new area and getting a new start, I do however empathize with the OP.

I am from an area that has seen a large influx of people from other areas of the country and it is a really transient area. This phenomenon has many cons to it, most of which is less community cohesion and trust. I believe this is what the big players in the economy want. They want less social cohesion and more social atomization of people. That way you consuming more stuff from their given corporations.

We wonder why Hispanic-Americans, despite having higher obesity rates, have the highest life expectancy in this country. I don't think you can overlook the social phenomenon of having tighter knit communities and families as playing a role. White and Black Americans are pretty socially isolated and will often move away from the areas they grew up in and away from their families and social ties. This has got to have major mental health impacts on many of these individuals.

Just my two cents.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:01 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Change comes to the south. It's about time.
People can move anywhere they want. Too bad if you don't like it. We have had various threads claiming that America is turning into a giant homogenous culture. That is debatable but it is certainly happening on the corporate and commercial level. It is not entirely by individual choice. I bought my house from a couple transferred from Ft. Collins to New Mexico and then to Athens, GA. They probably were blue voters. The employer made the decisions on their location and that happens a lot. I have no idea where they were originally from, but it was not the south based on what I know of them. My parents were transferred/relocated from the Midwest to Virginia and then retired there before moving back "home" years later.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:08 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
While I definitely agree with your sentiment and I don't think anyone should be shamed for moving to a new area and getting a new start, I do however empathize with the OP.

I am from an area that has seen a large influx of people from other areas of the country and it is a really transient area. This phenomenon has many cons to it, most of which is less community cohesion and trust. I believe this is what the big players in the economy want. They want less social cohesion and more social atomization of people. That way you consuming more stuff from their given corporations.

We wonder why Hispanic-Americans, despite having higher obesity rates, have the highest life expectancy in this country. I don't think you can overlook the social phenomenon of having tighter knit communities and families as playing a role. White and Black Americans are pretty socially isolated and will often move away from the areas they grew up in and away from their families and social ties. This has got to have major mental health impacts on many of these individuals.

Just my two cents.
Yes, community is often overlooked. It’s something I think is a bit lacking in my own chosen political party, and is somewhat the same for Republicans. As annoying as community organizers can be, at least the left has a bit of a sense of wanting to build communities.

Playing off some other comments, I think that’s why Yankees and others have a reputation of trying to change where they move to, because at the end of the day, you’re a product of where you grew up and it’s a strong craving to live in a place which has a little bit of familiarity to you. I know I’ve wanted that here in Texas, even though I’m not necessarily wanting to make political changes or change the fabric of the place I’m in.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:11 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Although I am not a Yankee who moved south, I moved from metro Denver to rural Wisconsin, and I can vouch that rural people are MUCH more polite, friendly and all-around nicer than urban people -- or at least that is how it is here. But as far as all the places I have lived, those in SoCal are the worst -- but judging from posts on C-D, people from New York City (with a few exceptions) make Californians look good by comparison as, overall, I think they take the prize for being the most rude and abrasive posters. (Whenever I see a really obnoxious post, I will check to see the location, and I would guess at least 50% of the time, the location is either New York or some other big city).

People are just so much nicer here, and if people can't be nice and polite in an area in which that is the culture, than I agree that they should just stay away!

P.S. on Edit: I just saw Dave in Tennessee's post in which he gave the following link, which listed the 50 rudest cities by survey. It is so funny that this list agreed with my casual observation and opinion! https://www.businessinsider.com/rude...states-2019-12 There were also a lot of cities mentioned in Florida and Texas, but I have not spent any time in those cities. Also, when I went to Washington, DC/Arlington, VA on vacation a few years ago, I was appalled by how rude the people were there, too! (New York was #1, Los Angeles was #2, and Washington, DC was #3.)

Last edited by katharsis; 12-12-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-12-2021, 02:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Small town people gossip too much,have you seen the movie Ryan's Daughter?

Old 12-12-2021, 02:16 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Change comes to the south. It's about time.
People can move anywhere they want. Too bad if you don't like it. We have had various threads claiming that America is turning into a giant homogenous culture. That is debatable but it is certainly happening on the corporate and commercial level. It is not entirely by individual choice. I bought my house from a couple transferred from Ft. Collins to New Mexico and then to Athens, GA. They probably were blue voters. The employer made the decisions on their location and that happens a lot. I have no idea where they were originally from, but it was not the south based on what I know of them. My parents were transferred/relocated from the Midwest to Virginia and then retired there before moving back "home" years later.
America is turning into a giant homogeneous culture. You can go from Lowell, MA to Spartansburg, SC and see many of the same stores, advertisements, etc. with some regional variation. The internet and TV has pretty much done away with regional dialects for younger people, especially those who aren't part of the working class. We all consume the same stuff. There is less and less regional distinctions in this country.

We root for different sports ball teams, but that is really about it. This will only get more pronounced with the younger generations and the age of the internet, unless there is some kind of pushback to this phenomena. Americans don't do exceptionally well with holding onto family and cultural traditions either.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
I am all for it, but I hate it when they bring what made them move in the first place.

There is a poster on the Florida forum that is from CT, and he complains non-stop about FL and how it should do things CT does, yet he moved from CT due to lack of employment opportunities not only there, but in the Northeast coupled with high COL.

Yet he wants FL to enact these same policies that drove him away from CT/Northeast in the first place.

Makes zero sense.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:38 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I am all for it, but I hate it when they bring what made them move in the first place.

There is a poster on the Florida forum that is from CT, and he complains non-stop about FL and how it should do things CT does, yet he moved from CT due to lack of employment opportunities not only there, but in the Northeast coupled with high COL.

Yet he wants FL to enact these same policies that drove him away from CT/Northeast in the first place.

Makes zero sense.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies