Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 04:44 PM

23,539 posts, read 17,216,356 times

Advertisements

Ah, but we are well down the road to equity and that makes it worthwhile!

Of course who suffers the most in the cities?

BLM and liberals..... we will save the black people even if we have to sacrifice all of them. Of course we must convince them of their victimhood.

The media gave these interplanetary alien prosecutors and judges and dem mayors and governors, funded by Soros, protection and voters have only themselves to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 04:51 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Cities indeed..
But why there is such a push to move everyone into cities?
Because in a city, you are fully government dependent.
In a rural area or farmland, you may, god save, grow your own food or have your own water well. You may even have your own heat source. Then how does government control you?

In a city, you are at full mercy of government. You may, or may not, get what keeps you alive - at their mercy. And mercy is concept, governments are not really familiar with.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:52 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
There are no Blue or Red states. There are Red states with Blue cities and suburbs.

Country citizens must block their nearest big city from encroaching on their land and destroying their way of life for cookie cutter houses, bland shopping centers and "amenities".

We need trees and forests all around us.

Now tell us again who the environmentalists are?

Certainly not the liberals who don't even know how to identify common tree species in the woods, fish, or navigate in the backcountry via a map and compass, and are so eager to bulldoze a mature growth forest for their tract subdivision home.
Trees and forests will never stop any serious city migration to the countryside.

Their presence only encourages city migration, as trees and forests are some of the most desirable things to them that they want as a first item on their list of desirables.

There is no way to stop the migration.

The only way to slow it down is to make the rural land too expensive to purchase. Afrordability is city folk's first and largest concern.

If they want to move, they want to own land that was cheap and to own much more of it than they would ever use.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:09 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The need is much stronger in one direction than the other.

MUCH stronger.

Quality of life may go down in the country without the city, but the city doesn't exist at all without the country.

Want to see how much city folk need country folk? Shut down all food deliveries coming from outside the city for a week. Just a week. That's all it'd take. City folk would learn a lot of things from that experience, most notably respect.

Keep your money. Seriously - cut the subsidies. Completely. I'm all for it.

But if you're going to do that, you have to do it across the board - that means including the "green energy" subsidies, too, and any other "free" money that goes from my pocket to your causes.
Food comes from the country as you put it, because the land is cheap, if the rural areas would shut down, cities would source their food from other countries until they can do vertical farming, it would accelerate it, it would justify the high barriers of entry but once that infrastructure is built no need for inefficient farming.
You have to realize this is a silly argument, a lot of things are necessary but not valuable, why engineers dont make as much as sales people, the closer you are to the revenue stream the more you make.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:57 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,959 times
OP: The cities are trash

Yet another thread fomenting dissension in America and ginning up an urban-versus-rural narrative that is not only inaccurate, but harmful to our nation’s collective political and economic future. Not only that, it is dangerous as it threatens we the people and our own success and prosperity and pursuit of peaceful lives.

C'mon, Americans. We have more in common than that which divides us. United we stand and divided we fall...surely no true patriot wants the consequences of this drumbeat of discord.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:03 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
There are no Blue or Red states. There are Red states with Blue cities and suburbs.

Country citizens must block their nearest big city from encroaching on their land and destroying their way of life for cookie cutter houses, bland shopping centers and "amenities".

We need trees and forests all around us.

Now tell us again who the environmentalists are?

Certainly not the liberals who don't even know how to identify common tree species in the woods, fish, or navigate in the backcountry via a map and compass, and are so eager to bulldoze a mature growth forest for their tract subdivision home.
Thank you, then we can meet in the middle and push for increased density around the cities, improved public transportation, and less spending on widening roads which inevitably leads to more urban sprawl. I am definitely against urban sprawl and would love to see American cities start to emulate European cities as far as design and walkability go.

A lot of those people who buy those tract suburban homes away from the cities are often Republicans.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:18 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Thank you, then we can meet in the middle and push for increased density around the cities, improved public transportation, and less spending on widening roads which inevitably leads to more urban sprawl. I am definitely against urban sprawl and would love to see American cities start to emulate European cities as far as design and walkability go.

A lot of those people who buy those tract suburban homes away from the cities are often Republicans.
Many times the city changes based on the new arrivals. San Diego is nothing like it used to be and it's not for the better either.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:26 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Many times the city changes based on the new arrivals. San Diego is nothing like it used to be and it's not for the better either.
I believe it. Honestly, I don't see much stopping the continual clear cutting of trees in many areas to make way for new homes. With the option of remote work, it may just make this trend worse.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:39 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Laughable!

Why is it that leftists think all red states are Mississippi and Alabama? LOL

TX, FL, ID, SD, OK, WY, MT....all doing fine without loads of govt handouts.

In fact, people in blue states are moving TO those places in record numbers and LEAVING blue places like NY and CA.
No, blue state people are avoiding most of the red states, especially Kansas and Oklahoma, like the plague. Most of the rural towns there are going downhill. A non-rural town, Tulsa, is so desperate to get people to move there they it will pay you $10,000 to move there as a remote worker for a year. There are not many high paying jobs there, so they're moving to Texas and Florida for the jobs, not because they're conservative or liberal.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:53 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
It we left rural in charge of America we certainly wouldn't be posing on the internet right now.

Rural culture is swinging on a tire swing is not gonna be enough culture for the rest of us.

Don't get me wrong, rural folks are good people but there is a detriment to simplicity.
There's another old saying I remember. As I remember it was in classic Greek literature. "The more complex the mind...the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Yes, we rural folks do read. LOL. More involved tales and treatises than Dick and Jane. Oh, and something I've never had is a tire swing. I did have a horse once that liked to play fetch with an old tire. He was a character. I can tell by your sweeping generalization of rural life as lacking in "culture" that you may just have a bit to learn.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I believe I know far more about your world and its culture than you do about mine. We aren't near so simplistic as you seem to think. Believe it or not we use complex sciences out here every day. We certainly don't all of us sit around swilling Pabst and drooling baccy juice down our unkempt beards. Any more than you city folks all of you hang around flashing gang signs and slinging whatever dope is the flavor of the week. We do have our stereotypical sorts out here just like you do in your world. But in either world that's hardly representative of the whole.

You have your art galleries, museums, fine dining, centers of academia, posh entertainment such as ballet or perhaps going to a Shakespearian play, there is no doubt that hospitals and medical facilities in general that have the best care are in urban centers. Human and veterinary medicine. We are indeed lacking in areas I've just listed. But that by no means tells the whole story.

We do produce a great deal of the food you eat, and doing so requires a great deal of scientific knowledge. The minerals needed to manufacture most everything you can't live without also come from rural areas. From precious metals such as gold and silver to the less lofty but far more necessary stuff such as iron, copper, nickel, lithium, tungsten and the list goes on. That also requires a great deal of scientific know how hand in glove with skilled labor to operate the equipment needed to dig it all up. When it comes to our entertainment we have our own kind of music. Our own type of food that we consider fine dining that includes a lot more than beans and biscuits. Not that there's anything wrong with beans and biscuits. We have our own ways of courting and dating and yes by gum we partake in such things as hunting fishing (we actually enjoy just going shooting) we wake up to the sounds of birds and go to sleep with coyotes yipping off yonder.

We have our own way of living and dieing and we are thankful for all we have. I'm sure you feel the same about what you have in your city. But we are hardly bereft of culture. We are surrounded by it. I have been blessed here of late to get to know a couple very fine folks and they feel the same. And they hail from a city that I just loathe. Things being as they are however we have also found out that our worlds are not as different as we have thought and that we need each other.

I'm not stereotyping near as much as I have in the past and neither are they. Only a fool declares and thinks in absolutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies