Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 11:41 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I lived and worked in S Florida when Andrew hit. I worked up in Boca. My company closed down 2 days before Andrew hit as did many other companies because it was already "the big one".
Andrew landed sometime during the night so your 9-5 crowd were long gone home or stuck on I-95.

Scariest hurricane I ever been through in all my years in Florida (20+) and I was up near Boca when that hit.
My dad went to Tampa to my sisters. Took him 12 hours. Yes the mad exodus out of the area jammed every avenue out of there. Miami is the city that never sleeps. A lot of people did not get a chance to prepare because it was to hit above West Palm n it curved back. Many restaurants etc were still open. I was in north Miami, I threw the twin mattress against the door n then the couch n put my 3 boys in the bathroom. Long night. This is when you realize can’t fight Mother Nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 11:57 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
If I was a loser and couldn't get a decent job, I'd think that way.

That you think because 1 sleazy company did something and other companies would be okay with that and that they'd never hire someone who quit a dangerous job is laughable.

"Why are you wanting to move to this apartment complex?"

"Well we've had a fire and some robberies in my last one. It isn't safe."

"Can't move in, you're a bad risk."

Is that how it works?
Employers and businesses look ok for what gets the highest likelihood of return with lowest potential risk of loss.

An employee who isn’t blindly obedient is a risk that the employer can’t make as much money off them. Even worse, they may set an example to other employees.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:51 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Default They were forced to stay at work as a tornado bore down. Would a union have saved them?

This is the American system as we like it. As a society, we prefer a world in which a large number of people live paycheck-to-paycheck and will therefore take jobs as “independent contractors” with few rights and little safety and no union and low wages. We want a world in which people are so afraid of losing their jobs that they will quite literally ride out a tornado for less than $20 an hour, because the alternative is poverty. This is the social arrangement that allows us to have lots of cheap stuff, fast.

It is vital that Amazon remain union-free, so that its founder may continue to accumulate a vast and unspendable fortune that he will use to build rocket ships for his own personal amusement. That is the highest purpose of this wondrous corporation, and nothing must interfere with that.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-workers-died

Old 12-16-2021, 01:53 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
They had 20 minutes between the warning and the hit.
If not the warehouse they might have been caught in their vehicles trying to get home...much higher risk of dying.

Mother Nature can destroy. That is a fact and there are times when you cannot save everyone.
That is a fact of life.

No, I do not think being a union member would have saved them.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:55 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
If not the warehouse they might have been caught in their vehicles trying to get home...much higher risk of dying.

Mother Nature can destroy. That is a fact and there are times when you cannot save everyone.
That is a fact of life.

No, I do not think being a union member would have saved them.
This. First thing you do in the face of a tornado warning - Stay inside and stay away from windows. No union can change that.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:57 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Once again, they knew for hours before the actual warning that a series of storms were coming and the folks in the candle factory were asking managers for hours to be able to leave.

See also this

Old 12-16-2021, 02:36 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Once again, they knew for hours before the actual warning that a series of storms were coming and the folks in the candle factory were asking managers for hours to be able to leave.

See also this
Except you can't "know" for hours beforehand! I don't know where this garbage is coming from, but as stated above, they had 20 minutes of warning.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:39 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

See also this
A watch is not a warning.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:40 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
shelter in place is what's usually prescribed, certainly not jump in your car and drive. I suspect the candle factory would be criticized if they encouraged workers to leave also.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:42 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Except you can't "know" for hours beforehand! I don't know where this garbage is coming from, but as stated above, they had 20 minutes of warning.
I heard that that area was in for it and I live in South Carolina. People knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies