Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 08:39 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Somehow overnight POC gained skills. Must have been due to the switch to Common Core.
Overnight? This was a 30 year process. I remember when the goal was to have minority kids finish highschool or get a GED, that was early 90's.

Now we are talking graduate school and medical school. That is significant improvement and not something that happened due to overnight standard changes or a change to a test from last year.

I think some people here just don't like the progress minority groups are making given statements like the one above.

Why are so many upset at minorities attempting to live the American dream? Why get mad when minorities do not want to be another statistic on the news, but want a better life for themselves and family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 08:41 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
And when the students let in with lower standards in lower education don't pass the medical licensing exams the screams of "racism" will echo to the heavens.

Then those exams will be changed with lower standards to achieve equity thru mediocrity.

Woke has and never will raise the quality of anything.

Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity (D.I.E.) destroys everything that it infects like a mental illness.
They did it with teaching. Kept lowering the bar and still POC had higher failure rates than Whites.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:43 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
They did it with teaching. Kept lowering the bar and still POC had higher failure rates than Whites.
In medical schools they fail out? I don’t think so. Do you have a stat on that?

Old 12-14-2021, 08:45 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Living in the Bay Area I heard a lot about who worked on the obama care roll out which was a total flop as you may recall, but they did not hire those programmers on merit.

If they want to use affirmative action to get the unqualified through medical school that is fine, but don't take away our choice to use a competent medical doctor just to satisfy some silly social experiment. Patients have a right to chose who their medical professionals are but some hospitals want to shove cheaper, lower tiered, medical personnel at patients.

Last edited by Heidi60; 12-14-2021 at 08:56 AM..

Old 12-14-2021, 08:45 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
This is medical school...people could DIE.
Nobody cares. Someone must be sacrificed for the wokeness.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:48 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
And not actuarial exams as you must know as a “math guy”. I had to study my butt off and still didn’t pass some of them.
Well aware of them. Worst number in the world? 5.

Imagine a college program for actuarial where they let in a group more of the 75th percentile types instead of the 90-95%tile and up types.

You expect no discernible completion difference? That's my key point, if you think you can just lower admission test standards for something like medical school or Act Sci and not see a difference we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:51 AM

714 posts, read 355,952 times
This is why I will not go to a black or Hispanic doctor. I will not put my health on the line. Impossible to know if the doctor got into med school or graduated due to truly being qualified or due to "racial justice".

Old 12-14-2021, 08:55 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,227,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
This is why I will not go to a black or Hispanic doctor. I will not put my health on the line. Impossible to know if the doctor got into med school or graduated due to truly being qualified or due to "racial justice".
And, what about the opposite? Maybe that POC doctor don't wanna treat whitey. Maybe whitey will get substandard care for being the evil oppressor and all.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:59 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Dude! There's no such thing as replacement theory... That's a big neo-Nazi, hyper-fascist, super white supremacy, RW conspiracy and the BIG Ole Fatty Lie...

Meanwhile, the "othering" infrastructure is being built up for a just-in-case moment a couple of decades from now. They've been talking about "Limits to Growth" for 50 years.

In 1972 a report was issued to the Club of Rome for the Predicament of Mankind Project. That report said we do not have 100 years of growth left based on modeling from systemic dynamics done at MIT starting in the 1940's.

https://www.donellameadows.org/wp-co...an-version.pdf

A reassessment was done affirming the initial premise and issued on November 3rd, 2020.

https://advisory.kpmg.us/content/dam...ublication.pdf

So who wants to go and say something stupid like "vacation camps," forced injections, "othering," economic, genetic and philosophical "fortifying" is just what we have to do for humanity?

You'd be an utter moron to think people that have been planning for 50 years to counter "Limits to Growth" didn't also work into the equation a worse case scenario where, IDK, the infrastructure being built up now doesn't find a new use than what's being claimed.

They've lied, obfuscated, used psychological manipulations, race (something they supposedly don't believe in), force, coercion and demagoguery and now we're to believe they have some altruistic goals?

Get real and wake up.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 12-14-2021 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-14-2021, 09:00 AM

19,773 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
White males at the top of their class are not pursuing Medicine at the same rate as they use to, at least that is what I see. Medical school is no longer considered the best route for the top of classes coming out of High school and those enrolled as undergrads in college.

What I hear from Top Students at 3 Major Florida Universities against Medical school: The work/life imbalance, the debt coming out of school, 16 hour days for years, little area for startup businesses as big hospital groups soak up everything, and you still might make less than running a hedge fund or hitting it big with a tech startup. College students are much more willing to risk their future on a new business or startup than focus on a guaranteed income over 30+ years (talking top tier students).

And even if you are out in 20 hour days for a tech startup, if it hits, you can literally retire on the spot, your DONE!!!. Medicine never ends, the long days continue until you are near ready to retire in your 60's.

And to be honest they are right. Right now the Top of classes regardless of RACE are going to Tech, Finance, Government such a CIA and NSA, or making a career path run at high-end executive jobs. That means medical schools outside of the very top schools are now picking from the top 10% of graduates, not the top 3% like in previous decades.

I see this trend the most with White males in college. It was already rare to see white men going into Primary Care and other lower-paying roles because that is NOT where the money is at. The US has been padding Primary care with Nurse Practitioners, PA's, foreign docs, and we have seen an increase in US-born minorities entering Primary care as more minority students complete pre-med undergrads. Now that the money has caught up in other fields outside of medicine, white males are not going into medicine at the same rate they use to.

I am sure the past 2 years with Covid and the stress all medical personnel have endured in a very public way will speed up the process of students moving away from medicine and even nursing.
Sorry nit-pick a little. Some of that is overstated.

Per your comments:

1. Work life - stipulated at least early career......medical school and residency are brutal no two ways about it. However, many docs. once licensed work 25-35 hours per week. IIRC a Medscape survey indicated the average practicing doc. works 51 hours per week, excluding part timers - that's not crazy.

1.1. When my son, he's a neurosurgery resident, was in college he attended a speech/talk given by a neurosurgeon from Houston. The guy opened with something like this, "I made $955,000 last year......anyone going into medicine for the money is a fool if medicine isn't a calling do anything else."

2. So far as big hospital groups dominating that's very much state and even city specific and specialty specific as well. Texas has numerous doc. owned practices. However, Dallas has more of that than Houston - Houston's medical scene being dominated by TMC. FE there are several doc. owned neurology partnerships/practices in DFW....in Houston the overwhelming majority of neurologists are fully or mostly hospital staff. Texas Oncology has something like 450 partners and 50 or 60 rising partners etc.

3. Per your 10% vs. 3% comment. Among all college grads those at the 90th percentile have practically no shot at medical school. Among STEM students those at the 90th percentile have a better but still limited shot. The fact is only top students are able to earn excellent grades in the majors well represented or the prerequisites required for medical school admission and score enough well on the MCAT and gather all the volunteer and leadership bits generally required. Keep in mind the bare minimum prerequisites are typically - 8 hrs. bio + lab, physics, calculus, and 4 chemistry/bio chemistry classes including o-chem and either o-chem II or analytical chem. etc.

I'd wager 95-97% of all college graduates would be decimated by MCAT test. What percentage of college students do you believe are capable of earnings mostly in o-chem 1 let alone o-chem II and analytical chem.?

4. Per your risk reward comment. My son always knew he wanted to become a doc. One of his best HS friends is literally a genius per IQ scores graduating Stanford's combined ME+robotics UG+masters program. This young man has worked for three startups that have each gone bust over a six-ish year span....his potential millions turned into nothing and he worked like a servant for artisanal wages the entire time, long stretches for nothing. He now has a great software engineering gig with Google tho. I'm going to avoid specifics but my son has a job offer he will likely accept that would pay right at 4x what the other young man makes.

5. Medical school graduates do not simply decide which area they will go into.......most are coerced into areas stratified by/indicated by med. school grades/rank, USMLE results, rotational eval. scores and research accomplishments. .

6. There's a significant list of docs. who have valuable patents, copyrights and executive positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies