Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 09:22 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
So....are these diversity admits academically qualified?
As a group? No. That's why they drop out at higher rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 09:24 AM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I am an MD; graduated from an Allopathic state university medical school in the early 2000’s. I would love to see your data claiming Blacks and Hispanics require 5 and 6 years to graduate more often. Their numbers are much smaller so “averages” would be more susceptible to outliers. What are the median statistics saying?

I am White, and in my class, there were about 10 blacks and 5 Hispanics. All did fine’ and none required 5 or 6 years. A couple I was good friends with matched into Anesthesiology and Radiology, which were way more competitive back in the day. A Hispanic female is now a high profile professor at our medical school. Of course, back then, medical school was much more competitive to get into period.

Prior to the early 2000’s, most states only had one public medical school, and of course there were private ones, which tend to be elite. All of my classmates, regardless of race were really smart. I was thoroughly impressed by how smart everyone was. Now, there are medical schools I’ve never heard of, and it seems like anyone can get into an allopathic medical school, let alone an osteopathic one. I’m almost as worried about this watering down the quality of students as anything else, and the increase enrollment by other groups may be an artifact of this.

The notion that they let anyone of color in, at least when I was coming up, is simply not true. I remember my freshman inorganic chemistry lab partner, an African American guy who I remained good friends with throughout college. He was brilliant in the labs. He just had a knack for lab work. Unfortunately, he didn’t take the didactics seriously. He got great lab grades but did poor in the lectures. He couldn’t even get into own osteopathic/DO program.
1. Please don't argue with me and then twist my words. I never said or implied that, "they let anyone of color in" or anything like that.

2. The AAMC has data about all this going back decades.

https://www.aamc.org/media/5791/download

3. I bet your med. school had 5 and 6 year options that you didn't consider/hear about. Examples - female students who have babies, students who fail any class only given 1x per year, students retained but who did not complete first year succesfully (this happened to one of my son's friends), students who get sick - say mono. A young lady my son graduated with had started two years before him she was in a severe car accident that delayed her two years.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:26 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
As a group? No. That's why they drop out at higher rates.
But they are not dropping out as far as I can tell.
How do you reach the conclusion that minorities are dropping out of medical school at a significantly greater rate.
I must be dense on this topic because I just can’t seem to find the evidence.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:29 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. Please don't argue with me and then twist my words. I never said or implied that, "they let anyone of color in" or anything like that.

3. I bet your med. school had 5 and 6 year options that you didn't consider/hear about. Examples - female students who have babies, students who fail any class only given 1x per year, students retained but who did not complete first year succesfully (this happened to one of my son's friends), students who get sick - say mono. A young lady my son graduated with had started two years before him she was in a severe car accident that delayed her two years.
And how many students got covid this past year? I’m betting it will influence the numbers especially since students did so much more patient care because of the pandemic.

43,093 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

A regular 4 year degree is trending at 6 years for even the general population. Less than 1/3 of college students graduate in 4 years.

And the reasons are all over the place so no one really knows why a 4 year degree takes 6 years to obtain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Your number 5 needs to be emphasized and repeated.
I'm going to guess that most people don't know that the residency and fellowship matches exist let alone how these things work. It's very opaque.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
the problem is that we are discussing more recent standard changes to increase diversity....so that takes a number of years before the enrolees translate into graduates (or not). So what you are asking for is not cleanly available.

What is available though, are the enrollment numbers vs. Completion numbers in the tables below which do show a racial disparity but i do not think it's fair to try to apply this to what is a newer situation but it does show notable differences.

https://www.aamc.org/media/6116/download

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/20..._table_b-4.pdf

my entire position is that we need to do more to fix imbalances and inequities earlier in the educational process so that we don't have to try to fudge things later on which can lead to more failure.

p.s. Here is the source or completing stem majors.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...white-students
100%

Old 12-14-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
But they are not dropping out as far as I can tell.
How do you reach the conclusion that minorities are dropping out of medical school at a significantly greater rate.
I must be dense on this topic because I just can’t seem to find the evidence.
You are not looking very hard. Search AAMC.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:34 AM

4,660 posts, read 1,951,679 times
Nothing wrong with increased Applications or Admissions. In fact its a good thing that Demographics which are normally accused of not working hard enough to achieve are showing that yes some really are. Now what would be wrong is if they are given any preferential treatment in regards to competition for limited space or their grades.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
And how many students got covid this past year? I’m betting it will influence the numbers especially since students did so much more patient care because of the pandemic.
Good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies