Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 11:55 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times

Advertisements

Inflation is good though, according to this article. I'm sure someone struggling check to check might not agree though.

First, inflation lessens the real value of debt. In 2020, American households had around $14.5 trillion in debt from their mortgages, credit cards, student loans, and other sources. Inflation of 6.2 percent means that the real value of that $14.5 trillion is now just $13.65 trillion in last year’s dollars.

https://theintercept.com/2021/11/10/...t-milk-prices/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 11:56 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,211,948 times
The same economists who predicted economic gloom and disaster if TRUMP was elected, now tell us that inflation is a good thing, as their prediction that inflation would reverse itself last September failed to come to pass.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:57 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
For months the Fed has said the inflation was temporary. They finally admitted that maybe it's not so temporary.
Finally going to taper off their pumping and raise rates.
Should have done that last year and let the economy do what it does naturally.
Our government is the source of our problems.....as it always turns out to be.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/money...threat/2028460
Fed Chair Jerome Powell has signalled that the central bank will pull back on its pandemic stimulus measures more quickly, which would put it in position to raise interest rates and try to quash the wave of rising prices that have hit American households.
Powell for months has argued that most of the price increases were due to temporary pandemic-linked factors that would dissipate, but in late November he acknowledged that inflation could be “persistent.”
This is shameful. They have been propping up the economy since 2008 with money printing. I hate the expression but now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:04 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
I reposted it in post #12, the very post you quoted.

I even added a second source.

<personal jab edited out for brevity>

I'm aware. It was more a comment on your "I guess you didn't read it before commenting." snipe at scorpio. He/she couldn't "read it" because the link was/is broken, professor.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:06 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm aware. Doesn't change the facts. <shrug>
You are correct that it does not change the fact that you refuse to discuss the topic of record setting wholesale inflation caused by Biden.

Why would you want to? It would show something you don't want to admit. Carry on.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:06 PM

33,553 posts, read 18,147,060 times
Fed is going to double the tapering from 15 billion to 30 billion and Advisor news said there will probably be three rate hikes in 2022 starting in June, then Sept and Dec.

https://advisornews.com/oarticle/gol...-times-by-2022

Old 12-14-2021, 12:08 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
You are correct that it does not change the fact that you refuse to discuss the topic of record setting wholesale inflation caused by Biden.

Why would you want to? It would show something you don't want to admit. Carry on.

Why would I waste my time trying to discuss anything with someone being demonstrably unreasonable?

Old 12-14-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Why would I waste my time trying to discuss anything with someone being demonstrably unreasonable?
I don't think the Labor Department nor CNBC are being unreasonable. They just stated the facts. Biden and the Fed's policies created this disaster. This is what people voted for and why so many now have buyers remorse.

It's okay for you to discuss the fact that your party and your choice for President are doing so poorly. It's just the way it is.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:17 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
The guy who owns the taco express in our town says the prices of things like utensils, foam containers, cups, and plates in bulk has gone up 150% the last year.

I got into a discussion with him about the current economic situation as he's quite business savvy and he basically says we are damned if we do, damned if we don't as far as QE goes. If the Federal Reserve stopped buying bonds interest rates would quickly shoot up to 10% or more. High interest rates can cause high inflation when they go on for long enough. He kind of explained the reasoning behind it.

On the other hand if we keep way overspending more money than tax revenue brings in it will cause the same result. Basically we've been living on borrowed time since basically 2008 and an adjustment to wipe away excess debt is needed and is here, whether we like it or not, and no matter what we do.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
The guy who owns the taco express in our town says the prices of things like utensils, foam containers, cups, and plates in bulk has gone up 150% the last year.

I got into a discussion with him about the current economic situation as he's quite business savvy and he basically says we are damned if we do, damned if we don't as far as QE goes. If the Federal Reserve stopped buying bonds interest rates would quickly shoot up to 10% or more. High interest rates can cause high inflation when they go on for long enough. He kind of explained the reasoning behind it.

On the other hand if we keep way overspending more money than tax revenue brings in it will cause the same result. Basically we've been living on borrowed time since basically 2008 and an adjustment to wipe away excess debt is needed and is here, whether we like it or not, and no matter what we do.
Ever since 2009, we have created a system where people think the government should be the answer to all problems by spending unreal amounts of money on giveaways and low/no interest loans.

The issue always is when the government provides something, it's nearly impossible to take it away. We are either going to rip the bandaid off and take away government intervention so the economy can go back to normal or we are going to continue to double down on stupid until such point we have persistent inflation to the point everything collapses.

I'm guessing we will do the later, because no politician has the guts to do the former, especially when the media will demonize him/her for doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies