Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 01:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
And after they do that and have identified issues they want their school to address, what then?
Go to the school board and/or the principal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 01:39 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Go to the school board and/or the principal.
So, it's ok for them to have a segregated meeting with the principal?

Is it ok if they have their kids in tow for the principal to put them somewhere and give them something to occupy themselves?

Last edited by Blondy; 12-15-2021 at 01:58 PM..

Old 12-15-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
My position is not the “official white position”.

My position is to adhere to both the district policy which does not allow schools to segregate by race as well as the state constitution. I think I’ve made my position clear throughout the thread.

Why do you think the school should ignore the law and the district policy and teach kids that it’s ok to segregate based on skin color.
I dont see it that way.

So, let's just agree to disagree on the issue of whether or not the school is ignoring the law.

The courts will rule on that if anyone files a lawsuit.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
So, it's ok for them to have a segregated meeting with the principle?

Is it ok if they have their kids in tow for the principle to put them somewhere and give them something to occupy themselves?
Anyone can go speak to the principal at anytime. You’re grasping at straws.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I dont see it that way.

So, let's just agree to disagree on the issue of whether or not the school is ignoring the law.

The courts will rule on that if anyone files a lawsuit.
Did you read the law I linked? Did you look up the district policy? I did.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:57 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You can't "OWN" the school if your success rate gives your hispanic community a 1/10 rating on GreatSchools, and gives your white counterparts a 7/10 rating for success.

7/10 rating on great schools is reason for parents to decide that's a good area, and a good place to send their kids - a school they can count on to prepare their kids for future academic success.

And yet, in the same school, hispanic students are experiencing their rating of 1/10, which is absolutely abysmal.

That's not owning. That's showing up day after day and failing abysmally.

I do keep tabs on schools, and I'm not sure I've seen another school with such a disparity in ratings.
At least one possible explanation may be found on the Great Schools site. Check out the rates of absenteeism across the different demographics. The percentage of white students who are absent 15 days or more (I assume this is on an annual basis) is 19%. But it's 33% for Hispanics. For the small handful of black students, it's a whopping 75%. And for the slightly larger handful of Asian students, it's less than 1%.

And then we wonder why the "achievement gap" exists. As has been said, 90% of success is showing up.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:16 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Article IX section 8 shows it does violate the CO Constitution. https://ballotpedia.org/Article_IX,_...o_Constitution

As another posted suggested, read up on Brown Vs the Board of Education.

This?

"Text of Section 8:
Religious Test and Race Discrimination Forbidden Sectarian Tenets.
No religious test or qualification shall ever be required of any person as a condition of admission into any public educational institution of the state, either as a teacher or student; and no teacher or student of any such institution shall ever be required to attend or participate in any religious service whatsoever. No sectarian tenets or doctrines shall ever be taught in the public school, nor shall any distinction or classification of pupils be made on account of race or color, nor shall any pupil be assigned or transported to any public educational institution for the purpose of achieving racial balance.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE] "

The school is not using ANY resources to teach ANY of the kids in this situation.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
This?

"Text of Section 8:
Religious Test and Race Discrimination Forbidden Sectarian Tenets.
No religious test or qualification shall ever be required of any person as a condition of admission into any public educational institution of the state, either as a teacher or student; and no teacher or student of any such institution shall ever be required to attend or participate in any religious service whatsoever. No sectarian tenets or doctrines shall ever be taught in the public school, nor shall any distinction or classification of pupils be made on account of race or color, nor shall any pupil be assigned or transported to any public educational institution for the purpose of achieving racial balance.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE] "

The school is not using ANY resources to teach ANY of the kids in this situation.

Yes. This, “ nor shall any distinction or classification of pupils be made on account of race or color”

Also board policy.

“ Protected Classes

The District recognizes and prohibits discrimination and harassment based on any of the following protected classes:
race,
color,
gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status,
religion,
national origin,
immigration/citizenship status,
ancestry,
age,
pregnancy, parenting, or marital status,
veteran status,
disability, or
genetic information of an employee or applicant for employment
(collectively, “Protected Classes”). Accordingly, no otherwise qualified student, employee, applicant for employment, or member of the public will be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination or harassment within any District program or activity on the basis of Protected Class status.”

Old 12-15-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Yes. This, “ nor shall any distinction or classification of pupils be made on account of race or color”

Also board policy.

“ Protected Classes

The District recognizes and prohibits discrimination and harassment based on any of the following protected classes:
race,
color,
gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status,
religion,
national origin,
immigration/citizenship status,
ancestry,
age,
pregnancy, parenting, or marital status,
veteran status,
disability, or
genetic information of an employee or applicant for employment
(collectively, “Protected Classes”). Accordingly, no otherwise qualified student, employee, applicant for employment, or member of the public will be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination or harassment within any District program or activity on the basis of Protected Class status.”
Like I said, no distinction or classification of PUPILS is being made and no one is being EXCLUDED FROM PARTICIPATION.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:33 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,379 times
It is ok when THEY choose to segregate themselves. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies