Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 01:10 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I don't know about afraid, but maybe they don't want to go to the PTA meeting to ask white parents or the school to teach white kids to keep their hands off black kids' hair.
How will segregated playground nights solve any of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 01:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Segregated playground nights imply that there is a white group meeting at the playground, and families of color aren't invited.

That's not happening. White people don't appear to be especially in need of support in order to achieve at that school, thus no real desire for white people to join together separate from a community that's very successful, and encourage each other.

That's how that works.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Segregated playground nights imply that there is a white group meeting at the playground, and families of color aren't invited.

That's not happening. White people don't appear to be especially in need of support in order to achieve at that school, thus no real desire for white people to join together separate from a community that's very successful, and encourage each other.

That's how that works.
Segregated playground nights are when you hold a playground group based on race. That is what they are doing.

How does this event help the kids educationally?

All families are always welcome to play on the playground after school any day of the week.

I looked up my kid’s school and Hispanics are outperforming white students significantly. Never in a million years would I support a playground night for white students to help bridge the gap.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
The school has some action item to address this issue.

The playground night gives Black families a support system/networking venue to check-in with each other if the schools action was effective or if they still are encountering this issue.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The school has some action item to address this issue.

The playground night gives Black families a support system/networking venue to check-in with each other if the schools action was effective or if they still are encountering this issue.
What action item? I thought holding the POC playground night was the action item.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Segregated playground nights are when you hold a playground group based on race. That is what they are doing.

How does this event help the kids educationally?

All families are always welcome to play on the playground after school any day of the week.

I looked up my kid’s school and Hispanics are outperforming white students significantly. Never in a million years would I support a playground night for white students to help bridge the gap.
I've said this until I'm blue in the face, Terri. I know you had to have seen what I said.

"Belonging" to a school, and feeling a part of the community, in fact, DOES make parents care more and become more invested in their child's educational success.

Parents who don't feel included, don't feel "heard", will often just send their kid off to school with no support. A parent that has a good relationship with teachers and other parents will go the extra mile, and help the child prepare for spelling tests, make sure the child has completed homework, is more willing to help out reading to the class and understanding what's expected in the curriculum, etc.

And that's just a fact. Parents who feel warm about their school, and included, encourage their children much more than parents who have hostile or feelings of being unwelcome or hopeless.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
What action item? I thought holding the POC playground night was the action item.
They planned some instruction to teach the kids not to touch without consent, and not to tease about hair or possibly any physical characteristic. From the link you posted about the schools website.

"Plan explicit instruction around consent, appreciating and respecting diversity, particularly around Black hair, while honoring Wonder (WoRLD CARE habit)"

Not sure what the Wonder world care habit is.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've said this until I'm blue in the face, Terri. I know you had to have seen what I said.

"Belonging" to a school, and feeling a part of the community, in fact, DOES make parents care more and become more invested in their child's educational success.

Parents who don't feel included, don't feel "heard", will often just send their kid off to school with no support. A parent that has a good relationship with teachers and other parents will go the extra mile, and help the child prepare for spelling tests, make sure the child has completed homework, is more willing to help out reading to the class and understanding what's expected in the curriculum, etc.

And that's just a fact. Parents who feel warm about their school, and included, encourage their children much more than parents who have hostile or feelings of being unwelcome or hopeless.
I agree with you that parents who feel welcome are more involved. I disagree with you that holding segregated playground nights is a good way to solve this. They should come up with some other less divisive, less Jim Crow like ideas.

Old 12-16-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that parents who feel welcome are more involved. I disagree with you that holding segregated playground nights is a good way to solve this. They should come up with some other less divisive, less Jim Crow like ideas.
Like what?

Old 12-16-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Our schools do this a little less obviously. Our middle school has an "international night", where all families are encouraged to bring a dish that is typical of what they eat in their homes, typical of what they might have eaten as children.

Everyone is welcome.

Only non-european many generational families attend. And they eat delicious food. And get to know each other.

Because communities who are in the minority need each other. They need the support. And although these families tend to have very successful students, they still enjoy coming together with people who spoke their first language, or might know their cultural references. Because that's being human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies