Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2021, 12:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,220 times

Advertisements

That said, on one of the Civil War sites they keep producing evidence of Blacks "fighting" for the South. At what capacity, I'm not sure. Most of the info are from newspaper articles.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:22 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see it. I'm Black American. I am the descendant of slaves. For me, the Confederate generals will always be the enemy. The Confederate cause was all about keeping slavery. Say what you will about the Union being no friend of the Black man. The Confederates explicitly talked about keeping slavery and keeping Blacks enslaved. This is mentioned in the Confederate Constitution, the Articles of Secession, and other original documents from back then. For that reason, the Confederates will always be public enemy in my book.
The slave holding Confederates are LONG GONE... so your don't have to worry about them anymore... Its like worrying about Attlia the Hun and considering him public enemy #1... WHY??

Old 12-17-2021, 12:23 PM

13,450 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
People who fight tyranny are always labeled 'enemy soldiers', that's just the way it is.
I mean, the majority in the South didn't own slaves and the Whites in the North could give a rat's a$$ about it, let alone leave their jobs, leave their wives and children and leave their crops and go die somewhere in the South for Africans can go up and take their jobs.

But if a foreign army (the South view the North as foreigners) comes in punishes you in a blockade of food and medicine, taxes you to death, puts you in prison with no due process, destroys your crops, houses, bridges and town why would anybody 200 years later be shocked that they fought 'til death in their land?

but looking at it Monday QB, if the Confederates had their way, blacks today would be running this country because they would have the numbers. The West would be for sure black majority because the majority of blacks would have built it instead of white immigrants and slavery would had eventually died and blacks have the numbers. Instead the North "free" the slaves and kept them marginalized as a minority at the bottom of a barrel stuck at 13% of the population and at the bottom of the economic ladder.

I'm sure Green Mariner would like to be a majority in numbers and rule this country. They should have been rooting for the South instead. It would have payed off. A black super power nation....the thought.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:27 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The slave holding Confederates are LONG GONE... so your don't have to worry about them anymore... Its like worrying about Attlia the Hun and considering him public enemy #1... WHY??
As long as people are trying to restore them as laudable figures, it needs to be repeated that they weren't. We're supposed to learn from history. They didn't just lose. They fought for a bad cause.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:29 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I have no right to speak on any black person's behalf, but I 100% agree on the definition of the Confederacy's reason to come into being. They formed a nation specifically to preserve slavery. The Union - for all its faults in practicality - at least had nobler aspirations than that.
I would argue that, no the Union did not have a nobler cause......
Emancipation was a war maneuver not an epiphany.. otherwise the slaves in Northern (Union) States would have been freed as well... The 13th Amendment had more to do with punishing the South than it did Human Rights..

Old 12-17-2021, 12:34 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Blacks fought on both sides during the CW from the beginning. Yes, the vast majority were "behind the lines" but, many more than most believe were on the front lines. Here is just one account, written by a Union officer of his encounter with black Confederate artillery soldiers. Note the date.
I would sure like to read that but as someone mentioned, the link does not work. If you could produce it in another way, we sure would appreciate it.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I would argue that, no the Union did not have a nobler cause......
Emancipation was a war maneuver not an epiphany.. otherwise the slaves in Northern (Union) States would have been freed as well... The 13th Amendment had more to do with punishing the South than it did Human Rights..

This is the same Union that had no problem in raping the West and actual killing Natives for land, resources and power but they fought the evil South for human rights? (the violin in the background)

Old 12-17-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As long as people are trying to restore them as laudable figures, it needs to be repeated that they weren't. We're supposed to learn from history. They didn't just lose. They fought for a bad cause.

to be independent is a bad cause? that's a new one. I guess Washington and the founding fathers fought for another bad cause. Hell, all Latin America and the world fought for bad causes. We should all be under 1 central government. 1 power.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:45 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see it. I'm Black American. I am the descendant of slaves. For me, the Confederate generals will always be the enemy.
That’s irrelevant, you were never a slave and the confederate statues will simply be preserved forever in museums. And we know BLM doesn’t visit museums.

You won’t get your wish of white washing and censoring Democratic history.

I’m black and couldn’t care less that Mount Rushmore consists of slave owners, George Washington was a traitor to Britain, or that Thomas Jefferson owned hundreds of slaves. It’s time to move on.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:48 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
History does not support your view. Lincoln did not have the legal authority to end slavery within the Union, which still had full Constitutional rights; Lincoln only had such authority against the traitor states through emergency war powers, justified by the South's use of slaves as soldiers. Furthermore, Lincoln wanted to issue the emancipation as a strong signal to France and Britain, who were thinking about intervening in the war on behalf of the South to protect their economic interests there. The Europeans were also strongly anti-slavery, so the emancipation essentially froze the Europeans out as they became conflicted.

The Union quickly followed through with its intention to end slavery once and for all by passing the 13th Amendment in 1865.
Except, by that point, the Confederate States of America was an entirely different country. His proclamation had no authority there. It was a stunt, no more, no less. And again, had no impact on the slaveholding states that remained in the Union. Lets face it, in his own words, Lincoln didn't care about slavery-it just made a better marketing tool than saying the war was over empowering Northern factory owners and politicians and disadvantaging the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies