Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 12:21 AM

10,206 posts, read 4,142,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Their commander, general Forrest (yes, Nathan Bedford Forrest) wrote:

I remember him! first grand wizard AND nancy pelosis hero.

Old 12-19-2021, 12:24 AM

10,206 posts, read 4,142,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I have a beer can chime with a wood rebel flag on it... does that make me a white supremist racist?
no but it makes you a tasteless home decorator.....

...hah ha ha that was a joke

Old 12-19-2021, 05:14 AM

34,110 posts, read 18,357,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Confederates were traitors and losers. People who still support them are free to leave our country.
You can't support the Confederacy because it is long gone as is the Slavery you love to obsess about. However one can support State's Rights, economic freedom and fighting for what you believe against an oppressive, Tyrannical Federal Government.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:50 AM

15,582 posts, read 7,465,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Confederates were traitors and losers. People who still support them are free to leave our country.
You're in luck. As evident in our lack of economic freedoms, etc .... they're not here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You can't support the Confederacy because it is long gone as is the Slavery you love to obsess about. However one can support State's Rights, economic freedom and fighting for what you believe against an oppressive, Tyrannical Federal Government.
Those are 'enemy soldiers', were have you been?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-19-2021 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: add comment

Old 12-19-2021, 10:30 AM

72,798 posts, read 62,114,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes, that’s exactly where I have seen them. Some in Indiana too. I’m hoping those people think it just means “I’m a rebel!” and not something worse.
I tend to expect it in Indiana, based on what I've read and heard about Indiana. I also would expect it in Missouri. I would expect it in Missouri more than most non-southern states. Missouri was a slave state and some Missouri residents crossed into Kansas in an attempt to make Kansas a slave state. This is how Bleeding Kansas happened. In the end, Kansas entered the Union as a free state. And from that point, the soon-to-be Confederate states got even more afraid.

To this day, Kansas and Missouri have a big rivalry with each other. Youtuber Mr. Beat (who is from Kansas) made a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=birz5akHWJA

Growing up I would not figure Pennsylvania and New York to be the kind of places where one would fly a Confederate flag. And then I came to city-data and found out there were rural areas in PA where some people would fly the Confederate flag. Someone who moved to the South from New York told me she saw some people in rural NY fly the Confederate flag. I went to high school with a girl who was originally from New York, but grew up in Georgia. She would frequently wear Confederate flag shirts. I never understood why. My mother is from Louisiana and she hates the Confederate flag. I grew up in Georgia and every time I've seen a Confederate flag, I've had the urge to take it and burn it (I've felt this way ever since I was a teenager. I've never done it because I understand messing with someone's private property will land me in prison or shot).

Even crazier yet, the Chicago area has one place where some people brandished Confederate flags, in the 1960s. Cicero, IL. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr led a march in the Chicago area to protest housing discrimination. Cicero was one place he went to. He was met with alot of hatred and violence. Bricks and glass bottles being thrown at him and those marching with him. There was something else. There were many Cicero residents brandishing and flying Confederate flags. This is Illinois, Chicago area no less. And at the time, Cicero was a working class suburb where most of the population was 1st or 2nd generation Polish-American or Lithuanian-American. While the Civil War was raging in the South, their ancestors were still in Poland or Lithuania. It makes one wonder why said persons would even have Confederate flags, considering their relatives immigrated to America long after the war ended.

Part of me would hope that said persons in PA or other northern states flying Confederate flags simply don't know better. But I also consider that the education system couldn't be that lacking.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:19 AM

46,757 posts, read 25,687,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
So why did they 13 colonies allowed slavery? Why did the founding fathers allowed the birth of the nation to be a slave nation?
Because there would have been no union, otherwise. It was much debated - the slave states even managed to push through the infamous 3/5ths compromise, which was a great deal for them - extra representation, only it was of course the slave owners who did the voting.

You may notice how the issue isn't really addressed in the US constitution - no outright mention of slavery or slaves. The Confederates fixed that, of course. Their constitution is mostly lifted from the US one, but slavery sure got locked down. (They also banned the practice of rider bills, which I'll grant was an improvement.)

A few generations passed between the formation of the union and the Confederacy, though. Economic power shifted north. Slavery became the most debated and most dividing issue for decades. Other slave nations abandoned the practice.

The slave states saw the tide turning against them. Essentially, they discarded the Enlightenment ideals that the US was founded and decided to form a nation where there was some respect for "the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition."

The people who ran the slave states looked at the "self-evident truths" that was supposed to form the ethical foundation for the US and decided that they didn't want any of that. It was an attempt to turn back the clock - back to the age of land-owning noblemen and serfs. (Of course, they lost in no little part due to their ridiculously overconfident self-image. I hope it smarted.)

Old 12-19-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
It worked out well for you today and every black man in America. What was the other choice in Africa if your ancestors didn't get on that boat? Would you be alive today?
There are people who are only alive today because someone in their family tree was raped. Is that supposed to make them more accepting of rape and rapists?

"OK, so he forced himself on your grandmother, but if he hadn't, you wouldn't be alive today. So - didn't it work out well for you?"

Old 12-19-2021, 11:30 AM

13,289 posts, read 4,123,131 times
Quote:
There are people who are only alive today because someone in their family tree was raped. Is that supposed to make them more accepting of rape and rapists?

"OK, so he forced himself on your grandmother, but if he hadn't, you wouldn't be alive today. So - didn't it work out well for you?"

You mean you rather choose death or live the rest of your life in shame instead of making the best out of life in the short time We are here? you really have to put life in perspective.

You think that because my great grandfather raped my great grandmother that is going to affect me and how I live my life? LMAO!

Old 12-19-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You think that because my great grandfather raped my great grandmother that is going to affect me and how I live my life? LMAO!
I'd sure hope it made a difference in how you thought about your grandfather - and other rapists, as well. Then again, you're the one offering up "Well, you're here now" as a defense for past crimes committed against past family members, so...

Old 12-19-2021, 12:04 PM

13,289 posts, read 4,123,131 times
Quote:
I'd sure hope it made a difference in how you thought about your grandfather - and other rapists, as well. Then again, you're the one offering up "Well, you're here now" as a defense for past crimes committed against past family members, so...

didn't slavery worked out for you today and every black person in America? or you rather not exist or live in some 3rd world country in Africa dying of endless tribal wars or diseases or lack of clean water?

or you go through your family tree and have a moral trial to feel better about yourself and define your life?

It's funny how this current generation is. I was raised old school. By today's standards my grandparents and parents would be in jail and be labeled abusers (physical and mental) and be considered bad parents because they use old school discipline and use the belt and grounded me.

Never view history by today's standards or magnifying glass. It doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies