Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 12:13 PM

78,025 posts, read 60,232,230 times

Advertisements

At some point are we sitting around in 2025 dealing with Covid 50 and still the unending mandates, handwringing etc?

Eventually, we just have to say screw it and get on with life with those most at risk having to make good choices of their own conscience much like when someone is on chemo and has a compromised immune system.

P.S. I'm vaccinated, I do not support mandating vaccinations. Just heard the other day that someone I knew that had chronic breathing problems didn't get vaxxed and died of covid....that's their choice. *shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 12:14 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,108,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Really missed my point but way to get in a cheap shot I guess.
Your point was this: Cornell students are on board with a policy you think is stupid.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:14 PM

4,324 posts, read 2,185,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
The kids who got the shots solely because they were promised 'normal' were fools. Now they get endless boosters, a hell-scape of faceless atomized people, and remote 'learning.' All for the low price of 70 grand.

The Covidians will never let this go.
HA! That sounds like the name for an ominous race of space aliens in a Sci Fi movie intent on world domination by using mind control and zapping opponents with a ray gun of obedience.

Oh wait - that sounds just like the Dems.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:16 PM

5,039 posts, read 2,252,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Hahaha! Did you miss the part where they said that no vaccinated or had a prior infection is getting more than a minor case? That is why. We don't know what is going to happen to the unvaccinated yet, but there is no reason to think this variant will be any milder in them. The joke's on the unvaccinated. Too late now. Hahaha.
If this preliminary study from Israel holds, you’re MORE likely to get Omicron if you’re vaccinated compared to unvaxxed.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...rbiontech.html

That’s good news, because it means you’re getting Delta at a lower rate, but since your post was specifically about your glee for being vaccinated in the face of Omicron...

Old 12-15-2021, 12:16 PM

39,026 posts, read 51,082,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
The message is still messed up.

I heard one of the holy doctors on the news this morning say that the vaccine prevents transmission. Pretty sure that has been proven false as well.

I get that it takes awhile to get all the information straight on the full effects of the vaccine and certainly on each variant - but the push to mandate vaccines and the demonization of those who choose to NOT get this vaccine says much about the type of people in this world. SMH
Well, no. Vaccination greatly reduces any infection vs no vaccination, so it is simple logic that it reduces spread. But why dicker? Omicron changes everything. The two shot regimen may slightly reduce the chance of any infection, but compared to delta it is not as significant. So everybody is gonna get omicron except for most of the boostered and a handful of two shotters. What really, really matters now is that cellular immunity the shots gave to the people who got them. It will be the difference between needing a handkerchief and a body bag for many.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:20 PM

5,973 posts, read 2,215,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My, my... how could this be after the magic vax has been injected into all the guinea pigs? Now they are all getting sick. One would question the effectiveness of a vaccine that doesn't work in the real world. But then, we are no longer in the real world. We are in liberal fantasyland.

Well then why the HELL was it ever called a "vaccine" in the first place? A VACCINE doesn't simply lessen the severity of a disease. That is called a treatment. When I got my smallpox VACCINE, I didn't get a less severe case of smallpox the next week. I DIDN'T EVER get smallpox. Same goes for every single vaccine I have ever had.

Quit calling something that is not a vaccine a vaccine. It's like a flu shot. Have you ever heard some moron calling the seasonal flu shot a "flu vaccine"? Neither have I. Well, then why is every moron and his dog calling the covid SHOT a vaccine?
I think it is due to two things:

1. Most people think vaccines means complete immunity, it does not but as you stated we do have many that in essence give complete immunity. We still have mumps and other vaccinated diseases pop up from time to time in schools. Their effectiveness also fades over time, not as rapid as the Covid vaccines

2. We are not at the point where a vaccine that can withstand mass production can be developed in such a short time.

Is there a profit motive to the short half-life of immunity once administered? Don't know.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:35 PM

3,343 posts, read 1,225,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If you are concerned that a 0.14% morality-rate disease is going to cause you to "meet your maker" with any more than a 0.14% chance, I would suspect there is a psychological problem that needs to be addressed. You are in more danger DRIVING DOWN THE FREEWAY! For God's sakes, you have a 25% chance of dying of cancer or heart disease. Why doesn't that cause you to chew your fingernails off?

Besides, you'll meet your maker just like all the rest of us when the time comes, whether you have become a junkie or not. Doesn't matter if you get a fix every other day, you'll still "meet your maker." No avoiding it.
to be fair he said vulnerable. old people for example are at a much higher risk than .14% from DELTA- this variance seems to be super mild thankfully and likely a lot of fear mongering for nothing.

no someone my age and healthy worried about dying from this might as well just never leave their house.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:44 PM

39,026 posts, read 51,082,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
If this preliminary study from Israel holds, you’re MORE likely to get Omicron if you’re vaccinated compared to unvaxxed.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...rbiontech.html

That’s good news, because it means you’re getting Delta at a lower rate, but since your post was specifically about your glee for being vaccinated in the face of Omicron...
It doesn't say anything like that. You are just misinterpreting the report. The bulk of research to this point finds that having had a previous delta infection does little to nothing to protect one from getting omicron infection. Neither does two doses of any of the vaccines do much to prevent any infection. But both vaccination or prior infection apparently reduce the severity of that infection. Boosters reduce both the risk of any infection and the severity. Being unvaccinated does squat - you will get omicron and you may more likely get seriously ill - we dont know yet. But as I said earlier, and the WHO said today, there is no reason to believe at this point in time that omicron is going to be any less virulent in the unvaccinated than other variants are in the unvaccinated.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,932,524 times
Have a friend who is severely immune compromized. She got COVID and is at home with minor symptoms. That's a good reason to get vaccinated.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:00 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Have a friend who is severely immune compromized. She got COVID and is at home with minor symptoms. That's a good reason to get vaccinated.
Good reason for the severely immune compromised. Not necessarily for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies